Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Evening Primrose Oil

Can anyone tell me the benefits of this oil.

My son is on Omega 3 & 6 supplements.

Should they take evening primrose with these or can it be used on its own etc.

Most of the omega supplements seem to contain EPO already. This is a problem for epileptics as EPO can triggers seizures. I struggle to find omega oils for dd without EPO.

A x

We saw dietician today about going on a gluten free diet and she said that kids don't really need omega-6s as the foods we eat these days contain large amounts. There is also some link between omega-6s and heart disease. She recommended just getting a pure omega-3 supplement in stead or using cod liver oil as that is mainly omega3s. She said there was some preliminary research too saying the vitamin A in cold liver oil may be beneficial in visual processing difficulties

DS can't tolerate fish oils products that contain EPO as it affects his sleep. He got dreadful nightmares and was waking up lots. When we stopped it his sleep improved. I discovered two other parents at Earlybird had found the same and on googling EPO there apparently is a link between it and insomnia!

Lx

Hi Stephanie,

this is not AS/male related, but Evening Primrose Oil is really good for PMT! Sort of calms you down and you don't get so wound up...hmm, maybe I SHOULD be giving it to ds!

Cheers,

Eva

Yeah our dieticians said the same kind of thing about Omega 6. In fact they took him off all of his multivits and other supplements saying they weren't necessary.

I loved the idea of trying my son on cod liver oil .... yeah right!!! ha ha, having tasted it myself ONCE ... I'll leave that one!

EPO = insomnia, I will give it a miss then.

Again, I'm just clutching at straws for a "miracle".

I think the pro and pre biotic drinks are working well though.