Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

MMR Boosters

I spoke to my GP today who was very understanding and lovely and spoke to immunisology today regarding checking Logans immunity levels before proceeding with the boosters (she had to check because she hadn't heard of that before). However the tests they do in this area dont check for that so would come back negative.

Would clinics that do the single injections check immunity levels? I dont mind having to pay. I'm going to hold off on giving it at the moment anyway because he's only three, and I have till before he starts school at 5.

The immunisology dept just gave my GP the spiel about how the get the boosters because the original can wear off in 10-20 years etc so they recommend giving it ...

Lynne x

you should be able to get this through the NHS (sounds like the GP is not asking the right questions to the lab). You could ask your health visitor to ring up the local lab to ask if they do levels for mmr or which labs do the test.

Alternatively you should be able to get it privately look in the telephone book under private doctors providing separate mmr

Good luck

Jen

Hmmmmm. That's odd. They are only checking his titres of the various viruses which should be standard lab practice. Maybe the GP rang the wrong department as here it is the virology department that checks the levels of these. It may be that the lab doesn't routinely do these on the NHS so you might have to pay. No idea about private clinics but I would have thought so. Might be worth asking your local BUPA or Nuffield hospital is they will do them, if so all you would need is a letter from your GP

Lx

Thanks both - will do some fishing and see if I can find out. I'm going to put it off for now anyways as he is just wee and that gives me time to find out about it all. Hubby thinks we should just give it because he strongly believes there is no proven link (being american doesn't help LOL). I'm of the mind though that although I dont believe it causes autism it could trigger something or make things a little worse if ASD is already present so am going to find out more anyhow!

Lynne x

Lynne

I asked my health visitor about this a while back and was told the same that they couldn't / wouldn't test for it on the NHS as there was nowhere to send it.

I am in the process of having my sons boosters seperately (one left to go) and use a private company to do this. He has 3 months between each one. I know that they also will test immunity although obviously it will cost.

I will PM you with the company name as I'm not sure if I am allowed to endorse it on here :blink: I know they do clinics all over the place.