• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynden

MMR Boosters

5 posts in this topic

I spoke to my GP today who was very understanding and lovely and spoke to immunisology today regarding checking Logans immunity levels before proceeding with the boosters (she had to check because she hadn't heard of that before). However the tests they do in this area dont check for that so would come back negative.

Would clinics that do the single injections check immunity levels? I dont mind having to pay. I'm going to hold off on giving it at the moment anyway because he's only three, and I have till before he starts school at 5.

The immunisology dept just gave my GP the spiel about how the get the boosters because the original can wear off in 10-20 years etc so they recommend giving it ...

Lynne x

you should be able to get this through the NHS (sounds like the GP is not asking the right questions to the lab). You could ask your health visitor to ring up the local lab to ask if they do levels for mmr or which labs do the test.

Alternatively you should be able to get it privately look in the telephone book under private doctors providing separate mmr

Good luck

Jen

Hmmmmm. That's odd. They are only checking his titres of the various viruses which should be standard lab practice. Maybe the GP rang the wrong department as here it is the virology department that checks the levels of these. It may be that the lab doesn't routinely do these on the NHS so you might have to pay. No idea about private clinics but I would have thought so. Might be worth asking your local BUPA or Nuffield hospital is they will do them, if so all you would need is a letter from your GP

Lx

Thanks both - will do some fishing and see if I can find out. I'm going to put it off for now anyways as he is just wee and that gives me time to find out about it all. Hubby thinks we should just give it because he strongly believes there is no proven link (being american doesn't help LOL). I'm of the mind though that although I dont believe it causes autism it could trigger something or make things a little worse if ASD is already present so am going to find out more anyhow!

Lynne x

Lynne

I asked my health visitor about this a while back and was told the same that they couldn't / wouldn't test for it on the NHS as there was nowhere to send it.

I am in the process of having my sons boosters seperately (one left to go) and use a private company to do this. He has 3 months between each one. I know that they also will test immunity although obviously it will cost.

I will PM you with the company name as I'm not sure if I am allowed to endorse it on here :blink: I know they do clinics all over the place.