Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

The Rosie-May Murder

Been reading articles on the case and seen it on the news; I'm convinced the whole thing was a farce in a kangaroo-court.

I accept that Autistics are capable of pre-meditated murder, but 5% of Britain's prison population are Autistic and they mostly don't understand why they are there. Paul Smith will know, but he won't understand how the chain of responsibility has led to him.

The prosecutions big piece of concrete evidence? A can of guiness found in Rosie-May's room with his DNA one. They don't tell you that this is the same can that Rosie-May stole from him and hid, so of course it will have his DNA in it.

The previous incidents have also been taken out of context to characterise him as a violent weirdo too.

I've lashed out at people before that were very provacative, I can see this lad doing the same. He's been made a scapegoat. The judge even did the courtesy of setting him up as media-fodder to make an appeal by his parents even harder; he superimposed the situation as a sexual attack even though the pathologist said there was nothing to suggest that.

Lucas I have just read a couple of articles about this but all I can say how tragic. It seemed Rosie had teased Paul and grabbed his can and ran off with it, so that is why it was found in the same room.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicest...ire/3958699.stm

I have also read there were reports of two incidents involving young girls before this.

I dont know the full background of the case and trial proceedings, but a young girl lost her life, she may have teased him, but she did not deserve to die.

The tragedy is that a young girl is now dead and this boy is serving a murder sentence.

As a mother of a young girl and children with ASDs I can see both aspects of this.

Perhaps earlier threads on here of ASDs being integrated into mainstream, where their problems will be highlighted and exacerbated and the public perception will be that they are a danger and could be locked up. By highlighting cases like this would reinforce that perception. That is something that really worries me.

I really dont know enough about this case to have a firm opinion other than this is a terrible tragedy.

Hi all

Before we all batten down the hatches - ready for the backlash of fear and misunderstanding that will follow this case in the papers...remember to tell people who ask 'aren't you worried about what he/she might do?', that the overwhelming majority of violent crime in this (and any other) country is committed by NTs.

I can see no chance of something positive coming out of this case, but perhaps we can minimise the negative and ignorant. Let's stick together on this one ... acknowledging the loss to BOTH families in this case.

No laughs from me this time,

Jester :jester:

I can see no chance of something positive coming out of this case, but perhaps we can minimise the negative and ignorant. Let's stick together on this one ... acknowledging the loss to BOTH families in this case.

I certainly feel for both the families in this case Jester.

The backlash may also help to highlight the problems that many AS people have in society and perhaps increase awareness of the problems they endure.

I too have lashed out when provoked - just because this boy had AS I cant see that made any difference other than it made him a target for teasing.

And you are so right Jester the majority of crimes are committed by NTs!

This case had made me feel so sad for all those who have been affected.

Now that the case is over, the files and notes will be in the public domain. I'm going to see about getting some; the lad is innocent; the best justification they can come up with is 'somebody had to have done it'. Might as well be him then?

Lucas if you feel he is innocent then there is definitely something that needs to be doen about it!

As I said before I dont have any real insight into this case Lucas, obviously you know much more than me.

There have been loads of miscarriages of justice so I for one would never dismiss any possibilities.

If this lad is innocent then real perpetrator has to be bought to justice for this crime!!!!

Take care

Edited by CarolJ

Hi folks.

This is such a tragic situation in so many ways. It is also very, very raw. As a result of this, I have decided to 'lock' the topic from further postings. I hope you will understand why. Largely out of respect to the families involved and the strength of feelings this incident and outcome may evoke.

Kindest regards,

Elefan