Sign in to follow this  
trance

Adware?

Hi clever people!!

Anyone know what adware is on a pc? My antivirus mcafee brings it up as a potentially unwanted program and asks if I want to remove it.

It rings a bell but cant think what it is and cant find anything on pc about it...

Dont want to go removing things that have a purpose!!

Thanks

Hi clever people!!

Anyone know what adware is on a pc? My antivirus mcafee brings it up as a potentially unwanted program and asks if I want to remove it.

It rings a bell but cant think what it is and cant find anything on pc about it...

Dont want to go removing things that have a purpose!!

Thanks

My computer received this too, it went bonkers, i did allow access but it hasnt done anything, in the end macafee said remove it manually, so I have and now my computer is fine again.

JsMum

Adware covers pretty much anything that isn't a virus but still might want to do nasty things to your PC. It could be recording your surfing habits, trying to install things without you being aware, could 'innocent', could be very malicious etc. etc. etc. Whatever it's intending to do, it's probably slowing your machine, is definitely taking up disk space and is, more than likely, leaving your machine open to attack by hackers etc.

Getting rid of it is actually very easy and all you need to do is download and install a decent anti-spyware application (I'd suggest either SpyBot or Adaware - both are free and easy to find through Google). Once it's downloaded and installed, run it and you'll probably be amazed at how many 'nasties' are on your PC. Both of the packages I've suggested will also clean up and get rid of it (and, usually, stop it from being able to get onto your machine again)