Sign in to follow this  
dippydawn

Older Asperger DS

My 18 yr old ds was dx aspergers this summer. He isn't working (too stressful) but has finished 2 yrs in college. He is now claiming benefits for himself ( a big task that's finally sorted) but he has to get a sick note every month from our dr to send to dwp to continue to claim benefit. He can't claim JSA because he's not looking for work. Can't claim incapacity because he's never worked and so hasn't paid enough on his stamp to get it, so is on IS. Why does he have to get a sick note??? Surely a diagnosis is enough proof that he is aspergers and always will be, he won't grow out of it!! Is it just me or are things too complicated? Has anyone else come acoss problems like this???

Hi Dippydawn,

Welcome to the forum >:D<<'> .

I don't have any advice for you as my son is only 8, but have you tried Citizens Advice?

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you,

Loulou xx

I know a 25 year old officially diagnosed with AS who lives off benefits and has no plans to ever work. I will ask him for more info when I next see him.

Hiya Dawn,

I'm in the same situation as your son it would seem. For the previous 22 years I have been in education and finally gave up trying last November 2 years into a degree that some day I'm hoping to finish. I'm 23 and at the moment I'm out of work. I've been out of work now for almost 9 months as at the moment finding a job and holding down a job is too much for me to cope with. I do have other medical conditions that are contributing to this so I'm hoping once I get those sorted out, hopefully before the end of the year, that then I can start looking at going back to work again as I only get �312 a month in benefits and can't afford to move out or live an independent life. Apparently I might have been able to get more money from the DLA aspect of my benefits had I had any help in filling out my forms only I was told this by a family friend after I had received no help filling in the forms and didn't know I could actually have any!!! GRRRR.

I've found that the more I keep going back for sick notes the longer they write the sick note for. This last one was for 2 months. Perhaps you could ask your GP to extend the sick note to 6 weeks or something to begin with and each time you go down mention increasing the length of time? Sorry it's lame advice, it's all I've got.

Though I have to admit that I couldn't even get a sick note for Aspergers, my sick note is for depression. My doctor doesn't even know what AS is to be honest and is a bit of a wally so this was the only way I could get round it. I also have to put myself through seeing a psych every 2 months just to keep up the pretence that I'm seeking treatment for depression so that I can get the sicknote.

You're right, it's daft, a waste of time and extremely complicated but so far I haven't found any other way round the problem :-(

Emily

xxx

Welcome to the forum btw, any other advice or opinions you might need I hope I can be of help because I'm kind of close in age to your son and was also only diagnosed last December. But I have made huge strides since then and haven't had hardly any problems with my family or being out in public places this year, the meltdowns and outbursts have all but disappeared because now I know what I'm dealing with so there is a silver lining I promise!!

Hi

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know we're not alone out here!!!

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any help with the forms, could you not ask dwp for a reassessment and get someone else to do the nasty business of form filling for you? I know how hard they can be to do, as well as my 18 yr old I have a 14 yr old who was dx autistic when he was 3 so it's always funa n games at our house!

Thanks again, Dawn B)

Hiya Dawn,

I'm in the same situation as your son it would seem. For the previous 22 years I have been in education and finally gave up trying last November 2 years into a degree that some day I'm hoping to finish. I'm 23 and at the moment I'm out of work. I've been out of work now for almost 9 months as at the moment finding a job and holding down a job is too much for me to cope with. I do have other medical conditions that are contributing to this so I'm hoping once I get those sorted out, hopefully before the end of the year, that then I can start looking at going back to work again as I only get �312 a month in benefits and can't afford to move out or live an independent life. Apparently I might have been able to get more money from the DLA aspect of my benefits had I had any help in filling out my forms only I was told this by a family friend after I had received no help filling in the forms and didn't know I could actually have any!!! GRRRR.

I've found that the more I keep going back for sick notes the longer they write the sick note for. This last one was for 2 months. Perhaps you could ask your GP to extend the sick note to 6 weeks or something to begin with and each time you go down mention increasing the length of time? Sorry it's lame advice, it's all I've got.

Though I have to admit that I couldn't even get a sick note for Aspergers, my sick note is for depression. My doctor doesn't even know what AS is to be honest and is a bit of a wally so this was the only way I could get round it. I also have to put myself through seeing a psych every 2 months just to keep up the pretence that I'm seeking treatment for depression so that I can get the sicknote.

You're right, it's daft, a waste of time and extremely complicated but so far I haven't found any other way round the problem :-(

Emily

xxx

Welcome to the forum btw, any other advice or opinions you might need I hope I can be of help because I'm kind of close in age to your son and was also only diagnosed last December. But I have made huge strides since then and haven't had hardly any problems with my family or being out in public places this year, the meltdowns and outbursts have all but disappeared because now I know what I'm dealing with so there is a silver lining I promise!!

try claiming DLA.when filling in the forms write down everything in its worst case scenario.i cant work for te same reason and manage to get DLA at the higher rate.

Hi

DLA has been claimed, what a task those forms are. I did write everything possible in worst case possible with letters and reports etc from professionals to back me up. ds was awarded middle rate of dla which is better than nothing! Thanks :D

try claiming DLA.when filling in the forms write down everything in its worst case scenario.i cant work for te same reason and manage to get DLA at the higher rate.

Dippy dawn.

My son who is on 20 is on IS and sickness benefit and he used to have to get a sick note from the drs.Because of his difficulties with he has going out ,and meeting people and he wont be able to work.The DWP wrote and said that they would not need anymore sicknotes sent into them that was last year sometime i think.So i dont know why your son as to send them.Have you asked them why?As you say ASD inst something that just disappears overnight.

lynn

When the person first started on income support they stopped asking for the doctors notes after all conditions were mentioned during a medical required by benefits people,has he never had a required medical yet?

Make sure he is getting it every week,and getting the disability premium of income support-it is given no matter whether on DLA or not.

The person was first told by house staff it should be paid every week but many people only ever got one weeks worth every two weeks and its up to themselves to sort it out rather than benefits people,is on IS,IS disability premium,DLA and DLA mobility component now as well-havent ever been asked for a IS. medical either since-they do give some backup.

Medicals for IS are twice a year by default possibly?

That will be a help to get things official and hopefully remove the need for doctors notes.

Edited by TuX

>>Can't claim incapacity because he's never worked and so hasn't paid enough on his stamp to get it, so is on IS

I cannot see that this is correct - or at least the reason given is wrong. I was told that my son could claim Incap benefit and he is only 16 and has never worked.

www.benefitsandwork.org.uk/forums/

is a useful site.

Karen