Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

if Dogs are good for kids with ADHD+ what breed should you think of getting?

Its in the news that dogs help children with ADHD and other similair difficulties if they are good for children what breed would you say would be a good choice bearing in mind ADHD children are impulsive and active so it would have to be a tolerant dog to be with children.

if you have a dog what is it, and does he have a theraputic impact on your child?children?

We are defo getting a dog in the near future and thinking of a cavalier king charles spaniel or a golden retriver still deciding, but thought I would ask here as you may have some advice about dogs and children with complex needs.

JsMum

Labradors are very placid, tolerant and easy to train. You can't go wrong with a lab. Fantastic with kids. We've got 2 black labs so I'm a bit biased. We also have 2 AS kids!

Lisa

Hi Jsmum,

We have a little pomeranian puppy he is just over 5 months old and he is an absolute delight he is very playful but also wants to be petted lots and would happily sit on your knee for ages.Now that the weather has changed he is providing a physical release for my daughter when she is practising his training and she loves the cuddles.We enrolled on a training class and this has been very good for my daughters confidence.

The cleverest dogs at this class seem to be the labs and retrievers and out of the smallest dogs the lhasa apso has been very quick to learn.

There is a great mix of dogs at this class and our wee dog has made friends with a very smart german shephard a very flirty boxer and a very gentle rottweiller.This has resulted in some great photos! The noise of the class can be too much for my daughter at times but she loves it and all the doggie people have been lovely.

We chose a small dog to ensure it would never overpower my daughter because she can freeze when things get on top of her and even other toy breeds would have been too much for her.There are many lovely dogs out there and i am sure you will find one that suits your family. My daughter has conversations with the dog and tells him how horrible i am when i make her do something like brush her hair or something this has stopped some of the stress building in her so i do think it has been therapeutic for her.

Good luck with your search and hope you get as much out of the new addition to your family as we do with ours.

Just a quick note the rabbits are very placid and allow her to stroke them and this helps her calm down too.

Nicola

Nicola your post was lovely and the comments about the other breeds been flirty and the german shepard was really funny, your words are very comforting and I can see that your pup has brought a lot of theraputic benefit to your daughter, the brushing, the calming effect, thats what I was hoping but with J been ADHD its going to have to be a very tolerant dog, J has sensory issues too and wonder about the noise level in the training class, how ever I will try and start taking J to the classes now as a way of intergrating him to the levels of barking.

Now my favourate dog funny enough is a long haired german shepard, but I think it would be too much with looking after an active dog and an active child, may get one in my early elderly days.

Its good to read in your post that the retrivers are quick to learn the skills in the training sessions, but I get a feeling its going to be on the big side and wondering if a CKCS is the one for J, but worried it wont keep up with J.

THankyou to the others posts here too and I will check out the link on breeders, one thing for shore I didnt know puppies where quite sooo exensive, i mean cricky 500 quid for a CKCS its rediculous, certainly wont be paying that much when I have insurance, vet fees and injections to pay for as well.

Its one of the reasons its taken soo long in finding a puppie, there just so over the expected price, we want to give this puppy a loving home where the dog will benefit from an enviorment but also benefit my son.

JsMum

We have a springer spaniel - she's active, easily trained (although they're a bit giddy when they're young), very very loving, and just the right size (about half the size of a lab, which is important to us, as the house isn't huge and it's already got 3 kids in it).

We paid �250 - cost depends on breed, quality of the pedigree and where you live. Try to see the parent dogs, if they're nice, their pups will be too.

One word of warning - puppies are hard work. I'd definitely consider getting a rescue dog - particularly a Springer.

Elanor

well, we have a lhasa apso, he is wonderful but i am biased :wub: his coat takes a lot of care and attention, but hes very gental with the kids, and his happy to zip about with them, or to to be a lap dog when its required. im not sure if a lhasa would be a good pet for you and J because it sounds as if you need something quite energetic. lhasa's even though they are small, think they are much bigger, if there was too much rough handling, they dont tollerate it and may snap, mine does not, but its common in this breed.

spaniels are good, a cocker spaniel may be good not too big not too small and they have plenty of charactor and energy. also they are not a "rare" breed so may be easier to find and slightly cheaper than other breeds. plus they have the most adorable little faces :wub:

of course, you cannot beat a doggie mixture. mongrels are usually good all round dogs with minimal problems and definately are cheaper than your pedigree.

i wish you all the luck in finding the right dog for you and J. >:D<<'>

Elanor

We did look at a rescue centre and J was very distressed their, he couldnt cope with looking at how desperate they all seemed, :tearful:

if anything it reinforced his thoughts on a puppy,

lots of the labels on the kennels giving information said things like, needs a home with NO CHILDREN or doesnt like other dogs, doesnt get on with older children, I would be very nervous about introducing a dog from a rescue centre as I dont fully know its history and you dont know if it could turn on J.

The centre was also a bit concerned that J had his disabilties and wondered if it would be a good idea because if J was to provoce the dog its more likely to react than us getting a puppy and it getting use to J, not saying J will provoce him, but as he is impulsive and doesnt think its something I have to be aware of.

J really would like a puppy and I think it would be nice for the pair to get to know each other from the start.

J also doesnt want to go back to the Rescue centre he said he has tears in his eyes :crying:

However we did really consider it, thankyou for your suggestion and pleased it has worked out for you.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

as i said in an earlier post I am biased to cocker spaniels, I have a three year old dog and he is adorable and fantastic with the children, I even take him into school with me occasionally and he sits amongst my nurture group and they are never as calm as when chester visits.

he is a pedigree and cost �350 so wasnt cheap. having said all that a lot of breeds have health issues and this is reflected in the fact that insurance for pedigree dogs is a lot higher than crossbreeds

If you know the parents then a crossbreed could be the solution, I also have a collie cross, I had her from a resuce centre and we were really lucky with her, she is very faithful and although we suspect she was abused in a previous home she has turned out to be a fantastic family pet. Im not saying I would recommend a rescue dog in your circumstances, but a crossbreed pup with know parentage could be

Hi,

My in-laws have lab. My son and the dog are wonderful togther....think he likes being able to get some1 2 do what he wants!

Labs are so placid and excellant with the kids that i would now like 1......just convincing the other half!

For now though i havebrought him one of those robopets for Christmas. You can basically train it to be good and to do tricks ect.

I think he will thorughly enjoy this, if he copes well hopefully i can talk the other half round to get a real 1!

tmf

We got a rescue dog in September - 10 months old approx - house trained - a staffy/greyhound cross - he has been fantastic - we used the rescue centre website to check out the dogs beforehand - saved too many visits .. we also went and visited long before we told J that we were getting a dog so that he didn't want to bring them all home with him!

Would the rescue centre be able to keep an eye out for a suitable dog for you? - many at our local centre were there due to family split ups etc and so may be used to children etc.

Hope you find the right dog for you - our Max has so many positives that we never even considered - like getting J to cross the road safely - he's keener to make sure the dog crosses safely than himself! :D

We have Lhasa Apso too and he's perfect for kids. He doesn't take too much work as he doesn't need loads of exercise, will never be too big for the kids and had a fantastic laid back personality - although he's ###### stubborn LOL They do need grooming but we keep Jasper short which keeps the grooming minimal. We paid �350 for him.

My sister has a cocker spaniel and he's fantastic too - and prior to Jasper we've always had King Charles Cavaliers.

My younger sister has a Miniature Shnauzer and he's a nightmare! Very highly strung - gentle with the kids but very excitable and jumpy on them.

Labs and retrievers although easy trained can be very daft dogs and they need a fair bit of exercise - in saying that I was hugely tempted by a chocolate lab puppy last week but I resisted as I dont have the time to exercise a big dog atm.

Lynne x

we have a mongrel (custard) and a jack russel (wiz) ....el loves cust he is her dog now, and wiz she loves him too but not like she loves custard, when he was ill at the vets she even said to me that she loves him more than anything, even me :wub: the only thing thats ever been a problem is when she has had meltdowns while walking them :whistle:

This thread caught my eye as I'm currently reading Temple Grandin's new book, "Animals in Translation".

Temple makes loads of comments about the way different breeds are going in terms of their temperaments and genetics... and how good a pet they are likely to make (or not!!!). I'd strongly recommend that you buy and read it BEFORE you make any purchase of a puppy.

This book was excellent. Not just limited to dogs, it draws together a whole lot of evidence and speculation on animals and people on the autistic spectrum, and how they might differ from NTs... and hence how to deal with both animals and autists. I was hooked from the first page to the last and a lot of what she says just "felt right". The most helpful book I've read for a long time.

VS xx

Its in the news that dogs help children with ADHD and other similair difficulties if they are good for children what breed would you say would be a good choice bearing in mind ADHD children are impulsive and active so it would have to be a tolerant dog to be with children.

if you have a dog what is it, and does he have a theraputic impact on your child?children?

We are defo getting a dog in the near future and thinking of a cavalier king charles spaniel or a golden retriver still deciding, but thought I would ask here as you may have some advice about dogs and children with complex needs.

JsMum

Hi My daugher has ADHD and ODD and we have a whippet.She dotes on him bigtime.The only thing i find is , that amongst all the cuddles and the love she gives him , she also tries to control him in a sibling type of way.If hes a good boy and does as she says then hes fine , if he doesnt do what she would like then he gets called all the names under the sun in a rather loud voice.Luckily he is really tolerant of this and puts up with this.Lots of breeds wouldn't! Whippets are very placid. Lisa x

Border terriers are also a lovely natured breed, about cavalier size but robust & quite game. Ideal too if you think your child might like to be involved , walk them on the lead etc. I know our son used to get frustrated because he wasn't physically strong enought to walk our big dogs .

The kennel club have an accredited breeders scheme and can put you in touch with a reputable breeder of your breed choice

Often lots of puppies available in rescues after xmas- it is heartbreaking though but in some instances you can end up saving their lives.

Greyhounds & lurchers are usually quite laid back , enjoy a walk but more than happy to spend all day asleep on the sofa. Have to be careful if you have a cat to make sure you get a cat friendly one though!

Greyhounds & lurchers are usually quite laid back , enjoy a walk but more than happy to spend all day asleep on the sofa.

I think that's what our Max is - is anything crossed with a greyhound a lurcher? - he's a 45mph couch potato - runs like the wind and then lies around the rest of the day :)

Hi J's mum just a thought, most breeds will have a club or association that try to rehome dogs to suitable homes it may be useful to look up specific breed rescue.I looked into this a bit but really wanted a pup for the same reasons you mentioned, but, after xmas there may be a bigger chance of finding a pup in the breed rescue that doesnt need too much work.My sister bought a bichon frise last year and normally this breed is known for their placid nature but this one was quite wild and my sister placed him with the bichon rescue service because he was harder work than expected.At that time the woman said they were looking for 8 homes for puppies! So if it is a specific breed in mind it might be worth a look.This dog nearly put us off getting a dog but thanks to wee sox (cos it rhymes with fox and thats what he looks like) we are very much doggie people again.

Another thing that might be a good idea (bearing in mind the other thread re giving up activities) you can now sign up to look after dogs for other people when they are on holiday.Kind of a babysitting service, you get paid minimum expenses and it would give j the chance to see what it is like , f you think he could cope with the disruption and then give the dog back.

Good luck,

Nicola

I am also biased to cocker spaniels as they have lovely temperments not as active and springer spaniel, very affectionate,love children etc although having said all dogs just like humans have individual temperaments and when you are looking , look for a calm placid dog, and if buying a puppy, it is good to look at temperament of parents, when i chose florrie my cocker spaniel pup, she was the quietest one, and she chose me, and one was hyperactive, and I knew that might cause me difficulties in coping,the mother was delightful and the father was hyperactive so animals can take after the parent too. and perceptions paid off and I have the most delightful dog that everyone especially children adore, and she adores them

JUst re read your original post and this time took in that you were looking at king charles spaniel and retrievers, they would also be good choices., a king charles may be even better as they are smaller, but have had no experience of them they look very sweet calm dogs though

Edited by florrie

We are hooked on Cavaliers King Charles dogs. They are ever so affectionate and faithful, gentle and all they want is loving. In our experience they are very tolerant of children. THe only problem is they tend to shed hair in large quantities and can have heart problems in later life. Our Chippie is now on heart tablets for the rest of his life - he's nine.

Yoyo

:wub: orrr how sweet, I want one now, but we are going to wait until after christmas, when things are calmer and we have the time to dote on her, we have gone with the choice of Cavarlier King Charles as they are very tolerant and not too active as a springer, we have a small house, though we do have a good garden the pup is going to be one of the family so in the home with us and not in the garden.

Hope your puppy brings you lots of fun and laughter and your child/ren enjoy her as well.

:jester:

let us know how it goes and any tips will be very welcome.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi lorraine,

there are schnauzers at our class one standard and two mini ones the female one is called Dizzy and she is lovely she dances and has a sparkly collar that my daughter adores.

The lady who owns these dogs said they are fantastic for children and that they were the breed chosen to guard the royal nurseries in germany for there excellent temperament and loyalty.

Good luck and enjoy your new addition to the family.

I have to brag for a wee minute, at the class tonight sox managed to sit and lie down, thats not bad eh?(not at the same time off course)

Nicola

When I was a child I was nipped on the ankle by our neighbour's schnauzer who was called Ludwig. I think he mistook me for an intruder so I didn't hold it against him. :rolleyes:

He was so cute, if you splashed water near him he would turn somersaults in the air, trying to catch the drops. :lol:

Hope Daisy settles in soon, Lorraine, you must be so excited. :wub:

K x

We have a cocker spaniel too - he was one yr old in June and he's been fantastic - I was so worried with my daughters sensitivity to noises etc and was worried about barking - he's been absolutely brilliant. Need plenty of exercise though - but the fresh air does the world of good for my hubbie to escape any meltdowns!!!

Take care,

Jb

I mentioned this topic to my ex partner and he pointed out that king charles cavaliers spaniels can be extremely nervous dogs and I felt as an animal lover should add this here as a consideration, it depends on how exhuberant for want of a better word the child with adhd is. Cocker spaniels are much more confident Ihate to put a damper on it but I felt I should add it

Edited by florrie

Hi J'smum

I am thinking of getting another dog to keep our wee sox company when we have to leave him, so i have been looking at the rescue centres on the internet and there seems to be lots of breeds in the rescue centres at the moment.If you look up dog pages you will find independant centres near you t'hat may have just what you are looking for.Good luck.

Nicola

If you're thinking of rehoming, which personally I think is a good idea, then try this forum http://www.therefuge.org.uk/ they have loads of rescue dogs (unfortunatly) and lots of good advice. Just one thing don't get a Husky, we've got 2, lovely to look at but mad as a box of frogs. :P:P:wub:

Edited by Siadwell

Just to add Daisy the schnauzer is settling in well. She only cried once during the night but soon settled back down. I had to smile when the breeder mentioned sleepless nights, Im an expert on the subject! Full of energy, caught her swinging on my washing yesterday.

We invested in a crate for her which we can pop her into if she gets over excited or during busy times, meal times etc just to keep her safe.

She is also something nice to focus on while we are having a truly horrible time with a major complaint against social services and our County Council.

Our son who is 21 and profoundly autistic has been lovely with her. He pats her on the head and goes to her when she cries and makes reassuring sounds, hubby and I both brushed away a little tear the first time he did it

Lorainexx

We have a bull mastiff and she is the softest in the world very protective of the family but my son has hit her and jumped on her (as they do) :( and she couldnt care less im so pleased she is a very very placid breed i think. It seems dogs are popular on here :D

Brooke