Sign in to follow this  
fairies72

confused

Hi

Finally had my daughter diagnosed after 2 days of tests.Im still not a 100% that what is on her report fits,but atleast hopefully she will get some support now.Also i have something to show the school where (she appeared as a normal child so to speak).

My daughter meets but does not exceed cut offs for autism apparently.They did not think a simple diagnosis of ADHD would be appropriate as in their words she focused well there at the tests on that particular day.It says ODD best describes her with some features of social impairment.She has real problem with verbal processing and memory.I was also told she has problems with retaining info and needs lots more visual aid for learning etc.

PDA came up,instigated by me after someone had described my daughter as being very similar to there son in terms of disability ( i read up on this and most fitted her well) but i was told by the doctor that pda and odd are pretty much the same? hmmm.

So im still not really any the wiser.It wont help her sleep at night me knowing that.Now i know she has problems retaining info , how will school be able to help her?.Im relieved in a way to know it wasnt all in my head (as you are sometimes made to feel by education)but at the same time have been told she wont get a statement as she has definite skills in other areas.

Im now going to try my upmost to get her the support she obviously needs at school plus build her esteem.If any one has any strategies of dealing with this type of behaviour , id be grateful.Or if anyone has an AS child and an ODD child , and knows the best way to let each of them see how the other feels.

Thanks

Lisa xx

Hiya Lisa

My Emma was diagnosed with ODD and Elective Mutism at 3.4 years old. Behavioural problems. This never took account of her learning difficulties, and problems she had understanding language and communication problems.

I am trying to have the diagnosis changed as even her teachers have said she does not have ODD or Elective Mutism (which is where a child chooses not to speak). She has problems processing language.

Many of her problems are on the Autistic Spectrum and next week we have got a statement review to reflect the problems she has.

We have also got referreal to CAMHS for the AS aspects. I have major problems with her eating, very very fussy - typical example she likes Capri Sun orange juice. Well, recently with the shopping I bought a foreign version in the boxes. She refused to drink them because she said they were not the same, it was a slightly different picture "Capri Sonne". Really really stupid but I had to go out shopping again to get the normal packaging.

This is a typical example of something with her, andI suppose this is where the ODD might come in. She is as stubborn as a mule and no amount of persuasion will convince her to try it.

Lisa

I am not at all sure about the notion that ADHD can be ruled out because she focused well on the day.

It a child with ADHD finds the tests very stimulating they will be able to sustain concerntration well. For this reason many kids with ADHD will play on a Playstation or similar for hours. It is conerntration on 'normal' activities that is the issue.

Simon