Sign in to follow this  
hev

what is a cookie

can someone explain in hev language what a cookie is,keep seeing things on my pc about them and its baffling me :wub:

can someone explain in hev language what a cookie is,keep seeing things on my pc about them and its baffling me :wub:

They're American biscuits, hun...

;)

Now, seriously... I think the 'cookies' you mean are small 'markers' your computer stores while you browse the internet. They're very useful little things, 'cos they remember things like what pages you've looked at on a website ('View new posts' here is a good exapmle), so that you don't have to find them from scratch, or passwords for logging in and out/online shopping etc.

You also get 'tracking cookies', which CAN be useful but may be a bit iffy - they MONITOR what you've been looking at (adverts/websites etc) and may pass info back to advertisers/shops etc who can then target their advertising to your particular interests. Other tracking cookies may send that info to people who's interests are less straighforward.

Most of the malaware/adware/spyware programmes can id the nastier ones, and will suggest you delete them. This doesn't generally effect the ones that are useful to you, so you should be safe to do as your spyware recommends.

Of course, if you DID mean biscuits ignore all of the above!

L&P

BD :D