Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Organic food a con BBc report

I have for the last five years purchased organic products as much as possible and I do this to reduce the toxins in fruit and veg, I am actually a believer that it does have extra taste and flavour and I would say that the organic meats are much richer and I have bought J even organic sweets, they are like gummy bears, but they are fruit extracts and they are very nice, he was sharing them in town once and people where going mmmm there nice and he was ensuring they where leaving enough for himself!

so I actually think its good for us, but yes expensive, but you get for what you pay for, organic production is more expensive so in turn so is the food, the news is going on about the organic foods are imported from other counrties and that isnt enviromental but so is non organic foods especially tomatoes and apples they are imported all the time.

I find with having a child with sensory difficulties, reactive to additives and toxic levels, then I will remain purchasing organic as I have researched the information heavily but I dont understand why when it is healthier they are trying to put people off.

A farm near us is organic and they produce a box of veg from a tenner, and a fruit box from a tenner and they deliver it in a solar powered cart.

anyway anyone here buy organic and do you agree its a con?

JsMum

I do organic where possible too. Totally against the use of chemicals in food - it's not natural so it can't be right, plus there are suspected links between autism and chemical toxicity so I don't believe it will hurt to avoid them if you can. I also have ME and the same link applies.

I suspect there are political implications in this discreditation of organics. The majority of producers aren't so they're bound to fight back if Joe Public goes too far the other way.

Karen

x

The issue of toxins in apples is another reason why I even buy organic apple juice as the toxins in ordinary apple juice must be hurendus, so I do purchase organic apple juice too and they do the small pack up size for Js pack up so its even part of his lunch.

JsMum

Hi all -

thought a link might be useful so people could see what the problems are:

linkyplinkyhealthything

I think the issue being raised here is very real - that Organics has become 'big business' and in any big business where demand outstrips supply there will be corners cut and exploitation. It's a catch 22 in some ways, because if Organic's producers bend the rules a 'bit' you've got a better chance of delivering a less intensively farmed product to a wider market, but if they then bend the rules a 'bit' more and then a teeny 'bit' further you end up with something that's not only intensively farmed but corruptly marketed.

I have huge issues with intensive farming, additives, food processing etc and the multinationals behind them and the power the industry has over political agendas, but I think the idea of small scale Organic farming as an alternative to major legislation to effect change across the board is flawed... You just end up with an organic cash cow!!

In marketing terms 'natural' has become a buzz word. On the one hand we have just about everyone manufacturing everything saying their product is more naturally produced, with more environmentally friendly packaging and healthier contents, and the promise that that is being delivered to supermarkets at increasingly lower prices. Those things CAN'T work together - whatever the speil of the voice over. the sectors left for supermarkets where BIG profits can be made is in the 'luxury' goods - which is a bracket organics falls into - and to maximise those profits you've got to 'buy low and sell high'. Neither of those imperatives sound like a good deal for the consumer or the producer, but the supermarkets LOVE 'em!! :lol::lol:

I'm glad i don't like Salmon :whistle:

L&P

BD :D

Do you think the EU does enough to develop organic farming? After all they control our agriculture and approximately half of the EU budget gets spent on the Common Agricultural Policy.