Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Engine Error

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me.

I have Norton virus thingy :unsure: on my laptop - normally when I'm on the internet I get a green bar at the top of the screen saying fraud monitoring is on (green is good I'm assuming). Recently this has occasionally turned red (bad?) with the words 'Engine Error' :o - It goes away when I restart my computer - should I worry about this??

Hi mumble - pure guesswork., 'cos i don't run norton, but this sounds more like a programme error than anything 'nasty' going on...

My guess is that the norton security is 'tripping over' another piece of software and/or dropping a connection to a server somewhere along the line, and that the 'Engine Error' it's refering to is one within itself...

Best bet is to note down the engine error message exactly, then type it into a search engine... chances are you'll find a 'fix' out there somewhere... had a quick search from the info you posted, and it seems that a recent Norton update caused similar problems for others, but as it wasn't specific about the exact circumstances I'm not sure if this is the same problem(?)

Chances are if you can leave it until the next auto update it'll get de-bugged automaticaly then...

Hope that helps

L&P

BD

Thanks Baddad,

Hmm, I got a bit stuck on the third line - the tripping over - I think a too literal interpretation isn't helping me see this less literally!!! Anyway, I got the bit about auto-updating - leaving it to sort itself sounds good - last time I tried to 'fix' my laptop it ended up at the computer shop being fixed!!!!! :lol:

Mumble.

simple

an engine error in any program (not just norton programs) refers to an error in the core of the program (the bit that makes everything else works) simple souloution uninstall norton clear your internet browser memory restart computer reinstall norton restart computer and toms your uncle if that dont sort it out send me a msg

I get it occasionally. Usually just closing the browser window and opening a new one clears it. It's a program glitch, but pretty minor compared to the protection it offers.