Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Gravy Booby!

That horrible Anthony Worrell Thompson man has started doing some ready made gravy in a pot that is GF &DF!! :thumbs:

It's very naice, and uses potato starch and cornflour for thickening ... Not quite as 'instant' as B***O granules, but not full of brain-cell burning MSG either. Ben's tried it (well 2 out of 3 - we've had the chicken and onion versions, but there's a beef too we haven't tried yet) and it didn't send him bonkers so it should be OK unless your kids have probs with yeast and 'trace quantities'... found it in Tesco's and sainsbury's, but in gravy aisle rather than ff section...

Also, sainsbury had some own brand dark choklit easter eggs in with posh foil round them. An orangey version, one with raspberry bits in (that's the one i've put away for you-know-who) and another one i've forgotten... Haven't seen the Kinnerton Bart Simpson one yet, but when i do I'll give you a heads up!

Now I know I must be seeing things so am just checking,its really GF/CF ??? Gravy is the bane of my life I just can't seem to get it how my lot like it when I make it from scratch..will go off and do some research,thanks for the info >:D<<'>

Now I know I must be seeing things so am just checking,its really GF/CF ??? Gravy is the bane of my life I just can't seem to get it how my lot like it when I make it from scratch..will go off and do some research,thanks for the info >:D<<'>

Hia deedee -

Well, looking at the labels the chicken is

G/F

GM FREE

NUT FREE

SOYA FREE

ALLERGEN ADVICE:CONTAINS EGG

Onion gravy is as above, but without the egg allergen warning, and has no allergen warnings at all.

Onion says 'suitable for vegetarians' but the chicken one doesn't (?)

Looking at the ingredients there's nowt on the onion variety to suggest caseins, but the chicken one has a slightly ambiguous 'flavouring' included...

My son doesn't have a problem with trace elements of casein, so it's possible there could be some and that's why it doesn't say 'vegan', but I know from checking stuff with manufacturers that every 'FREEFROM' ingredient has to be tested individually & payed for individually (in terms of accreditation) and that milk is sometimes overlooked for that reason as a specific FF additive even when it isn't actually used in the recipe... Both contain yeast...

How about trying onion first and moving onto the chicken later?

Other gravy options: bullion and/or kallo stock cubes thickened with cornflour or farina (potato flour)? that said, i think those option contain Hydrogenated fats, so something to be aware of!

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

That horrible Anthony Worrell Thompson man has started doing some ready made gravy in a pot that is GF &DF!! :thumbs:

It's very naice, and uses potato starch and cornflour for thickening ... Not quite as 'instant' as B***O granules, but not full of brain-cell burning MSG either. Ben's tried it (well 2 out of 3 - we've had the chicken and onion versions, but there's a beef too we haven't tried yet) and it didn't send him bonkers so it should be OK unless your kids have probs with yeast and 'trace quantities'... found it in Tesco's and sainsbury's, but in gravy aisle rather than ff section...

Also, sainsbury had some own brand dark choklit easter eggs in with posh foil round them. An orangey version, one with raspberry bits in (that's the one i've put away for you-know-who) and another one i've forgotten... Haven't seen the Kinnerton Bart Simpson one yet, but when i do I'll give you a heads up!

Just got a mack off big easter egg from asda which is totally free of all the stuff - I think its a kinnerton egg.. its a black box with easter egg and a big bar of chocolate... heres hoping he will like it..