kaz

has anyone heard of "eye q"?

My nutritionalist checked the amount of Omega 3 in the milk available and said that the amount in the milk wasn't worth having. I will get the bread checked and let you know how that comes out.

Didnt find Eye Q that good, in fact we thought it made our son worse, which I have recently found out may be to do with the fact some IQ has evening primrose in it. The best one we used was Efalex, which seemed to work really well for him. He took the capsules.

I understand that if you are on benefits or a low income, these oils may be available on prescription.

Otherwise, we just wait for the 3 for 2 or BOGOFs and stock up.

Daisydot

have had the twins on the milk on and off for a while,yesterday i bought the hovis bread with omega 3's in it there may not be much in the milk or bread but anything is worth a try isn't it? keep smilin luv karin :D:D

There may not be a huge amount in each, but like with vitamins etc if you have a some of a few amount of things with it in, all adds up. Omega 3 seems to be a selling gimmick right now and the amounts in these foods with Omega 3 varies hugely. Ok the suggested RDA may be xxx and your child is only getting xxx but every child is different and these things are whats believed to work, no set medical RDA etc, and if you're just giving your child the best you can, and of course what is affordable as these things come with a higher price tag usually, I can't see any harm in that.

Edited by lil_me

ds3's paed suggested fish oils might help him but as he'll only be breastfed I have to take them and he'll get something via the milk! :blink:

I have tried smuggling all sorts into his baked beans and he notices, nevermind fish oils!

But I didn't think to question how much I should take and the lovely lady in the chemist thought I had lost the plot! :lol: So how do I work out what a sensible dose to take is? and will ds3 actually get a reasonable amount of this?

Any other ideas are always welcome! :D

TIA,

Nikki.

Have you tried giving him the EyeQ sachets? They look a bit like yoghurt type snacks rather than a drink. My son has them no problem, but wouldn't take it if it was on a spoon.

It's omega oils rather than specificall fish oils, I'd guess ... if he eats OK and hasn't got a nut allergy there are some incredibly moreish (but very high calorie!) carob coated chewy bars called 9 bars that are stuffed full of omega 3 from hemp and stuff...

Chances are the first mouthful will be 'hmmm... not sure...' but if he gets to the second bite you'll probably have an addict on your hands!

You can find 'em in most free from sections these days, but DON'T try them yourself unless you can afford to put some weight on! 350 cals + :lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Thanks for the replies - so it's omega oils I'm after.

He'll only eat baked beans (or a plain piece of bread for breakfast as I'm cruel and won't let him eat beans at 6am!) and having tried putting things in them before, he will now choose the tin he wants and watches me whilst I open it and put half in a bowl and then he carries it to the table - I am not even trusted to heat them up any more.

So getting him to take the omega stuff is virtually impossible, it's proving a challenge to get the melatonin down his neck too but I am not taking that for him!! :wacko:

Hmmmm, I think I'll try a big Boots store and see if they can help this mad woman today. :D

Thank you!

Nikki.

Will he eat seeded bread? If so you could make your own and add linseeds or linseed oil. Or even a high dose omega oil for that matter, as he'd be less likely to notice it in bread.

Also, I know he's young but do you think he might respond to a relevant reward for taking it off a spoon? I've got J through quite a few medications that way (even the dreaded hayfever eye drops!) by giving a Top Trumps card or Yu Gi Oh afterwards. Obviously too old for your ds but maybe he has an age-appropriate equivalent.

Karen

x

Hiya,

I've been reading up, and heard quite a bit of positive things about VegEPA - it's basically, the omega's.

It's been very beneficial to aid childrens concentration (and also for ME/CFS sufferers).

Anyone heard of it - or tried it??

Ta xx

Hiya,

I've been reading up, and heard quite a bit of positive things about VegEPA - it's basically, the omega's.

It's been very beneficial to aid childrens concentration (and also for ME/CFS sufferers).

Anyone heard of it - or tried it??

Ta xx

Don't know much but I do know 9 BARS are full of hemp and linseed - both of which contain TONS of the 'right' omegas... Tried ben with Hemp oil years ago as a supplement (in similar fashion to Fish oils added to stuff) and couldn't bring myself to do it - horrible! :sick::sick: 9 bars on the other hand are delicious! :lol::lol::lol:

Linseed - you can buy oils, or just chew linseeds by the teaspoonful with water! :unsure::unsure:

My pack (I add them to a home made muesli for ben) says 'take one tablespoon two or three times per day followed immediately by two glasses of water'... wouldn't fancy it myself, but if you're a veggie who dunt do fish it might be an option... If you look in the 'free from' sections you can probably find 'energy bars' that'll do the trick - but watch the calories!

L&P

Ta hunni >:D<<'> Though i suspect we'll be buying those bars by the bucket full .... ;) Could you have a quick moochy through the ingredients list for me........any nuts? - we're allegic :(

Google isn't always such a great thing eh?!

Each new thing i come across seems to contradict the other :wacko: . I've been reading about them (vegepa) for a while now - for myself as much as M - but it was highlighted again recently with an 'experiment' for TV, so got me thinking again. Four children appeared transformed by it..............but, i suspect it has as much to do with these children (all obese) being encouraged to ditch the cr!p they called food and excercise more..... ;)

Saying that - i've found nothing negative in regards to ME/CFS.

The plot thickens 'n all that.. :hypno:

Equazen who make Eye-Q fish oils also make a preparation for pregnant and nursing mothers. No idea if it's a gimmick and better than standard omega-3 supplements but might be worth investigating. They have a website you could have a browse at. Nursing mums are supposed to take them anyway as your levels get lower during pregnancy and breastfeeding and apparently that's why nappy brain exists :lol: Could you express some milk and use that to disguise them? I've seen cans of pasta shapes with added omega 3s on the supermarket shelves so is that an option?

Lx

Could you have a quick moochy through the ingredients list for me........any nuts? - we're allegic :(

Hiya...

well, I had a shufty around and tracked down the manufacturer as Motherhemp, and then their websites here with a list of stockists:

http://www.motherhemp.com/

But the website doesn't show 9 bars! :lol::lol::lol:

However, it does show (hemp and linseed) Omega 3 capsules and even a dairy free ice-cream in a range of flavours, so it's worth a looksee...

I'm going in 'tut town tomorrow, so if i don't forget i'll have a looksee, but i'm fairly sure they are NOT nut free...

One of them is called a 'nutty nine bar' (oooh, what a giveaway!), so I'm fairly sure that even if the other one doesn't contain nuts it will have 'manufactured in a factory where nuts are used' or some such...

Hemp Ice-cream, eh? Sounds very more-ish Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddeeeeeeeeee :lol::lol::lol:

sorry if theres already a thread on this,ive looked and i cant find it :blink: i think there is such a wide variety to choose from i havent got a clue where to start,i wish there was like a leaflet which explained things simply,i dont know what is just companies jumping on the bandwagon and what is actually good.

my questions are if i buy the omega bread and margarine how much a day does he need to have to make a difference,i cant understand the guidelines,or could i forget the margarine,bread,yoghurts etc and go for a good capsule?if so are the named brand capsules better quality than the own brands?if i go for a capsule what strength do i go for?if the child is overweight do i go for a stronger capsule?

how many of you have seen improvements in your childs behaviour after taking fish oils?

Hi hev -

quickie 'cos it's late...

Yes, I did see benefits to Omega 3's, but now he's been on 'em so long it's impossible to tell how much is that, IYSWIM . At the start, there were marked improvements in concentration etc, and given all the general benefits of omega oils it's not worth challenging them now to see!

We started with the BIG name brand, but TBH I get so fed up with their ever more outlandish advertising (I did actually challenge them directly via e-mail but they never came back to me! There's a thread on it somewhere in the back pages of this section of the forum!) I made a point of experimenting...

I found my local supermarkets own brand of capsules had pretty much the same ratios of Omega 3/Omega 6/EFA/EHA in their big 'one a day' capsule and switched to those. they were fine, and are a quarter of the cost!

L&P

we use lloyds the chemist valupak omega 3s capsules... we asked the pharmacist what would be best ie the ones for 4.99 or the 2.79 pack and believe it or not it was the cheaper one.. it had more of the stuff in .. so we got those and oh my god couldn't believe the difference after the first week we definately noticed the difference. After school I asked him what he did that day and usually he would stare blankly at me and not remember but now he tells me...

so :thumbs:

Ta for the link m'dear :thumbs:

One of them is called a 'nutty nine bar' (oooh, what a giveaway!), so I'm fairly sure that even if the other one doesn't contain nuts it will have 'manufactured in a factory where nuts are used' or some such...

M's ok with 'manufactured in a factory......yadda, yadda...' Depends with me - some things set me off - some don't :wacko:

Hemp Ice-cream, eh? Sounds very more-ish Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddeeeeeeeeee

Groovy maaaaaaaaaaan.. :hypno:B)

Hi smiley -

Looked today, and the normal nine bars say 'may contain traces of nuts and dairy', so :unsure:

Also looked at the supermarket's own brand vitamins and they do a VEGAN one a day omega 3 capsule... couldn't see the label completely clearly (no reading glasses!), but the bits ben read and that I could read it all seemed fine... the omega 3 was flaxseed oil...they were about �3.00 a bottle

In my local branch it was right next to the omega 3 fish oils and a new product labelled '3+6+9 capsules'? (presumably taken with wine by geese, while monkey's chew tobacco...???? :lol::lol::lol: )

hope that's helpful

L&P

hi i used the omega oils when he was 4 and his speech and reasoning seemed to improve,i stopped it over the summer months because i was having to give him constipation powders,now he,s back at school he's having meltdowns and not conplying to instructions i have started to give big doses to give him a big build up,so now its a waiting game to see how much of a effect they will have, hopefully he will be calmer and more attentive watch this space :rolleyes:

my son is on the Veg EPA tablets, they are very intense dose and seeing as he cant take medicines you can massage it into skin and what a difference, in this concentration, where as last year he couldnt focus on one single thing for more that 10 seconds now he has a much improved concentration, hes been on 3 months ..

Hi Hev

Don't know if you got the information you wanted about dosage etc but I've found a link to the leaflet I was given by J's dietician a while back, when I was asking her similar questions about his intake. She told me at the time that there is currently no UK recommendation on dosage for children or adults, but the general advice is to take 450-900 mg per day of DHA/EPA. Anyway, here's the leaflet: http://www.bda.uk.com/Downloads/February2005foodfact.pdf but it probably doesn't tell you much more than you already know.

The problem with branded products is that you often get a lot of junk in with the beneficial ingredients (eg Haliborange contains preservatives like sodium benzoate, to be avoided at all costs!), so I personally think it's best to stick to a supplement rather than the marg/bread etc. J takes Eskimo Kids but I think you can only buy it online. I've never seen it in the shops. Eye Q is blended with evening primrose oil which I've heard can exacerbate autistic presentation but I guess you have to believe what you want to and try a few products till you find one that fits.

Karen

x

I found it made my son's sleep worse :( I've read that this can be a side effect of the omega-6 oil especially Evening Primrose oil. The only pure omega 3 supplements I've found are capsules which he's too little to swallow. There is some vague link with evening primrose oil and epilepsy too. I keep meaning to try the Eskimo kids brand which our local health food shop sells to see if that affects his sleep. At the moment we try to make sure he eats oily fish at least once a week

Lx

my son is on Veg epa, i put him on it last july and it kicked in around september for the new term, ive noticed a massive difference, he has aspergers and adhd issues and every day through nursery , reception, i got pullled in, they said they couldnt communicate, he was a law unto himself, he was naughty etc.

now he does his work in a micro flash and ive only been told once since september that she had to repeatedly ask him to do something, (one week when he didnt have his fish oils ) his concentration is amazing at school not at home and he has really really excelled in class, i liked these cos you can massage them into the skin when they are asleep...and my boy has a phobia about medicines

i noticed your daughter has epilepsy? i was told by boots not to give fish oils to epileptics.

DS (6) has been on EYE Q for 8 or 9 weeks now. 6 capsules day now down to 3. Haven't really notcied any difference, but pleased that DS will take them anyway becuase of their other health benefits.

His getting to sleep at night is actaully worse.

Edited by Andy

Fish oils can help with depression, for me they improve my memory so i get less stressed about forgetting things.

Also they help with my balance and co ordination. i take the eye q liquid stuff daily in juice.

DS (6) has been on EYE Q for 8 or 9 weeks now. 6 capsules a day now down to 3. Haven't really noticed any difference, but pleased that DS will take them anyway because of their other health benefits.

His getting to sleep at night is actually worse.

Shame about the sleep problems I think it takes 12 weeks to work. Does he have a soy problem?

VEGEPA works for us - sleeps well, less difficult to manage, EyeQ does the opposite actually - made situation worse,. however, recently had a medical checkup - had an ECG done and was told that DC will have to be seen by a cardiologist. I did read somewhere that the effect of these fish oil tablets coudl result in some heart palcipitations,now this is making us worried, DC is not on any medication - has been on this for over 3 yrs now. So for the time being - taken off the fish oil until after cardiologist appt.

hugley reccomend omega 3. scientifcally studyed to help childern with autism, asd etc. btw all boys have a soy problem, it lowers testosterone levels.

My school friend said makes bowel movements more regular increased I'm thinking of purchasing as she reckons good speed up digestion helps give more energy has anyone else tried this supplement out at all??? Does it work - successful?