kaz

has anyone heard of "eye q"?

just signed up for one, does any one know if it's just one individual sachet or a box. Bit hopeful for the box as it is �15! Can't see they'd be giving that much away. Worth people trying though, my son eventually got used to the liquid but had this have been around at the time we would have had no problems, it even smells great.

hi

I have bought some of the eye-q smooth but i can't get katy to take it. any suggestions? at the moment she will only eat jam sandwiches so i can't hide it in that!

thanks

katysmum

A person doing research on this sort of supplementation was/is(?) Alex Richardson. So if anybody wants to do a search for where she is up to now?...

When we last saw Dr Sue Fowler of the Dyslexia research Trust, she was saying that the proportions of components of a supplement were critical. The balance was important. I was told, and jotted it down at the time, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid)1000mg and EPO (Evening primrose)500mg per day ie a ratio of 2:1 was what I should be looking for.

I have been recommended Efalex, then Eye-Q and then MorEPA, in that order. MorEPA has been the most effective for both my boys, and was the last recommendation.

I'm not sure "all products are equal"; I'd, personally, never buy an oil that was not a pharmaceutical grade. I'd want to know that there was no toxic contamination eg metals. I'd want to know how the oils were extracted and I'd want to know that the "proportions" were as recommended based on the latest research findings.

I don't know what the very latest recommendations are, sorry.

The product MorEPA mini, sold mail order by Healthy and Essential might be one to consider for littlies? It is a smaller capsule designed for younger children.

I'd always suggest that you discuss taking supplements like these with your healthcare provider first. They can affect other medications, for example. Also it might be a safeguard to tell dentist and anyone who might do an operation on your child that they are taking these supplements too - just to cover yourself.

Valiant_ Skylark xx

Hi everyone,

Have had a look though the threads but can't find any reference to what age a child can start taking "eye q" - found it in Boots, but when i asked if it was ok for a 2 year old they said they thought so as it didn't say otherwise on the bottle! Does anyone else know - as I would like to try it????

Thanks

Denise

Hi Jadensmum-

I don't think there's any age 'guideline', but your best bet is to log on to the manufacturers website and send them an e-mail.

My one concern would be that when you initially introduce the product there is a 'dosing up' period (6 capsules per day for 12 weeks!!), which a two-year old could find too intrusive...

(NB: just looked at the packaging, and that suggests that "Children under five may want to start on two capsules per day and then build up to six", which implies the same 'dosing up' period.)

Unless you're really keen, or there's some specific 'problem' I'd let it rest for a year or so.

Equazen claim that their product is 'unique', because of the ratios of EP3 to EP6 to EPA... Could be a load of old cods (excuse pun!), but I figured worth the expense initially 'just in case' and could switch to cheaper versions once trials showed benefit (or otherwise). Have never bnothered to switch, cos now dosage is at 2 per day it's not that expensive anyway! Ah, the power of marketing!

All in all, my experience of EyeQ has been that it has been helpful to Ben with concentration span and improved (less 'fuzzy') thinking, but the problem is it's sometimes hard to remember the 'before', and the stuff that remains 'after' is still problematic! REMINDER TO SELF: Must 'challenge' benefits of EYE Q in near future!

Hope that's helpful

BD

Oh - website link!-

equazen.com

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just read that 1 teaspoon per day would be ok to start with for younger children - may hold off for a while and get other things sorted first!!

Denise

Hi,

I have been giving my son eye-q after my health visitor recommended it. He has been taking it for probably two+ years now, started when he was about five. It made a difference to his behaviour and his concentration at school increased, although if I missed a couple of days you could really tell the difference, his attitude changed. It doesn't work for everyone though, my paediatrician said if it didn't have any effect after 2 months then to stop throwing my money away!

They now make a fruit yoghurt pre measured sachet (which smells REALLY nice) and is not fishy or oily and doesn't have to be stored in the fridge - it took me ages to get my son to take the liquid and he would be useless at capsules. The vanilla I thought was best in the liquid (well he did rather!) If you go to their website you can get a free sample.

http://www.equazen.com/

This I lifted from their site with regard to children, looks like if you have too much the worst that will happen is you get an upset stomach or sickness.

For children

We recommend the same dosage. They may be smaller in frame, but they also have faster metabolism than adults, and can readily absorb the same amount. A dietary intake of fatty acids is very important for brain growth. The more children take, the more that process is ensured.

However, for very young children -- say under the age of five ? it may be prudent to start them off on just one teaspoon of the liquid a day for the first week. Then you may increase it according to your needs. The reason we say this is because some children with delicate constitutions can find the fish oil unpalatable, and starting at a lower dosage is a good way to monitor this.

We must not lose track of what eye q � is: premium quality marine and botanical oils specially blended to give your brain and eye what is naturally needed for optimal functioning. The upper ceiling on what you take is limited purely on what your body may process. For example, if you swallowed an entire bottle of capsules, the likely result would be similar to swallowing 30 grams of olive oil. When there is too much oil for your liver to process, your body has very obvious ways of getting rid of the excess. That is, nausea and loose stools.

Hope this helps.

My DS Julian has been taking this for about six months now and has it in with his weetabix in the morning. I personally think the stuff is horrible tasting but unless you put it in his breakfast he will not eat it. We use the capsules and the outers melt in the hot milk. He has to put them in and I use a spoon to push them under the weetabix. When he sits down to eat it he promptly takes them out of the cereal and sucks the oil out of the capsules and puts the outers back in and mixes them up! Not sure if they help or not but he won't eat without them now!

Hi

Realise this is an old topic - but I'm quite new to this forum and there has been so much on tv/press about eye q at the moment, thought I'd try it for my 2 ASD sons. Their diet isn't brilliant anyway, so thought anything might help!

Spoke to my GP and have got it on prescription - which is a great help when it costs �10 a bottle! Just wanted to let others know, as there are a lot of people on here who have mentioned how expensive it is.

Hi victoria

Thats B) .

I will speak to my GP!!. Worth an ask eh? My K has been on Eye-q now for almost a month and its really helping him. The problem is as you have said it is pretty expensive. Especially as he is on 6 tabs a day at the mo !!.

I would like to give it it my youngest son also but can not afford it. So to get in on prescription would be fab!!.

take care,

sel.

Do you know that Boots have Eye Q on permanent 3 for 2? Some of the stores debate this but I used to get it online with no problems.

Don't wnat to throw a spanner in the works, but I've read a lot of negative reports about Eye Q and the fact that it's mixed with Evening Primrose Oil, which can supposedly trigger off hyperactivity. I've also heard that it can increase stimming in autistic children. I took James off it for that reason, and now use Eskimo Kids, which is made from non-farmed fish and mixed with rapeseed oil.

Whichever brand you choose, it's important to get the ratio of Omega 3 to 6 right because too much of one or the other can cause mental overload. Unfortunately it's usually a case of try it and see before you find a brand that suits.

Karen

x

Hiya,

I have tried omega 3 fish oil caps and eye q with Robyn 9 ASD and dyslexia. She wont take them Ive tried putting it in hot chocolate, yogurts etc, but she can sense its in there, I have tried her with the vanilla flavoured eye q but she would balk and be sick.

Hope you have better luck than us.

Kerry

I've just had a look at the Equazen website - the Eye Q contains EPA, DHA and GLA. Jordan has been on Boot's Smart Omega 3's, but checking the label, it doesn't contain GLA. Am I right to think that GLA is required also? I couldn't see any free samples offered on the Equazen website, but contacted them to ask if I could have some samples. Jordan hates the taste of the boots one (I'm not surprised as the taste makes me feel sick) and I haven't seen any improvement over the last couple of months, so I was thinking about changing it when the bottle runs out.

I also tried hiding it in his foods and milkshakes! Didn't work though.

Edited by MichelleW

:lol: Every time I've seen this thread on the front page of this forum, as the last one posted on in this sub-forum, I've thought it was talking about something called "eye g"!! It's the underlining of the subject to make it into a link that made it look like a 'g'.

I never had a clue what it was all about, but today finally decided to click on it so I could find out, and at last I see it's actually "eye q"!! :rolleyes:

Until now, I thought perhaps it might have had something to do with Ali G!! :lol:

James

I tried my son on Eye Q and he hated taking it

However Haliborange make one with the same (ish) content of th fish oils (EPA DHA etc) and it is multivit too which he needs due to his pathetically fussy diet , we can get it in liquid, liquid inside small fish shapped capsules which you squeeze out and chewable capsules in orange and blackcurrant flavours. These go from about 3.99 ish for 14 days supply but Boots etc regularly have them on offer so I stock up. It has made a difference for my son.

Edited by lil_me

Just bought Smart omega3 strawberry flavour from boots to try as its cheaper than some of the eyeQ products. My daughter said she will take it to help her brother >:D<<'> so he wont refuse it himself. How long does these products usually take to work ? My daughter pulled a funny fac e and said it tasted like fish but love her for doing it and encouraging her little brother. They have been doing some colouring together and thats not that often so make the most of it.

Take care

Amanda

Amanda,

we use the same stuff and noticed a difference within 2-3 weeks, especially with speech. Is very diificult to actually know if the improvement was solely down to the fish oil, but his nursery teacher remarked on how much he'd progressed in such a short time (she was unaware he'd started on the stuff ) so we have continued with it for both boys. They'll take it quite happily but our NT daughter was nearly sick when she tried some !

I have been giving my 13 year old omega 3, the strawberry one from Boots for just one week and his school have noticed he is calmer and his mood has definitely lifted. He actually likes the taste and says it tastes of bubblegum. So far so good.

The orange flavour says it is suitable from age 3 but the strawberry one says it is only suitable from age 5. So check the ages as some seem to differ.

I have been giving my 4 1/2 year old son Max the Haliborange Omega3 orange liquid, he's had it for about 4 weeks, so far Ive noticed he has become more hyperactive, but that seems to calming down? Is this usual?

Jo

Hi, I was wondering about fish oils, whether it can make a child hyperactive.

Ds (almost 4) has omega 3 which he liked the taste of. I never noticed a difference in his behaviour on them, even when i stopped giving it to him for a couple of weeks, when I forgot to take them on holiday.

Then i thought I'd try the eye -q vanilla flavour, within a few days he became hyperactive, his concentration went and he couldn't make eye-contact. So I stopped and went back to the omega 3's. I was surprised by his reaction and didn't think fish oils could have this reaction in him. So I was wondering if this was normal.

pim

Yes, I've heard that too. I now give James Eskimo Kids which is blended with rapeseed. The ratios of Omega 3 to 6 oils vary between brands as well, so you often have to try a few brands before you settle on one that suits.

Be careful with Haliborange though, because as with other children's syrups it does contain some potentially iffy stuff:

Ingredients:

Capsule shell (glycerol, gelling agent: gelatin, modified starch, colours: (iron oxide, titanium dioxide), acidity regulator: citric acid, sweetener: sodium saccharin, flavour: orange). Fish oil, sweeteners (mannitol, aspartame), hydrogenated vegetable oil, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), flavour: orange, emulsifier: lecithin, vitamin E (dl alpha tocopheryl acetate), vitamin A prep., vitamin D prep.

Karen

x

Hi,

Decided to take the efalex myself instead of giving it the kids, could do with a bit of hyperactivity, am a sloth normally ! Even more convinced on reading the label, the fish oil comes from tuna (big fish therefore more mercury ?) Will stick with the boots strawberry stuff for the kids for now. Need to be a bio-chemist to understand relative values of all these products. Anyone know one ?

wac

That made me laugh. I did think the same that I should take some but after one mouthful first of Cod Liver oi, which was YUK!!! My mum said she used to amke us have that as kids. Then l tried the kids strawberry Omega 3 and I thought no way. So no fish oil for me, it tastes yuck.

pim

Am not that brave, the efalex is in capsules ! I did try the boots stuff the first time I gave it to the kids to show em how tasty it was. I had to put on the best act ever to not let them see I was shuddering. I couldn't get rid of the taste all day. Eughh, can still remember

Haliborange is the only one I can get him to take, cus guess what "its orange", I have to disguise it in another bottle also. Theres no way he would take anything that isn't orange in colour or taste, you know what its like :(

I'm abit worried about the ingredients that Karen says, I have no idea what they really mean? Does anyone else?

Jo

p.s. he's calming down now

I was reading some of the posts about omega 3 supplements, I know they are quite old posts but thought I'd make a mention about my experience.

My 11 year old son with AS has been taking omega 3 supplements (specifically for children... MorePa mini capsules.... I can give link to website who supplies them). He's been taking these since early February and I can state quite certainly that there has been a huge improvement in his behaviour, mood and concentration levels. Even his teacher has noticed that he is 'more switched on', and less prone to day dreaming. He also looks better. His skin used to be very dry and flakey but that has improved alot.

The MorePa mini that my son is taking are specifically designed for children. They only need to take 2 a day, and they are small enough for a child to swallow. They are suitable for children aged from about 4 - 18.

Hi Smiley. I've had my son on omega 3 supplements since February and the change in him is so remarkable I have also started my other children on them. He isn't taking eye q, he is taking morepa mini which is for children age from 5 onwards and is a small enough capsule for a child to swallow easily (or you can open up the capsules and put the strawberry liquid in to yoghurts etc).

So yes, I'd highly recommend you start your son on eye q or similar. You have to give it 3 months before it takes fully effect.

Eye q is one that most people use because it is readily available in most chemists. Morepa is not so readily available and I buy it online (though it comes within 48 hours). I'd be happy to supply the link if you are interested (I'm not commercially involved... just very happily using it for my kids!).

Lauren

thanks elaine and lauren xxx

im going to persevere with it - no harm in trying i guess.

will keep you all posted if i spot an improvement xx