kaz

has anyone heard of "eye q"?

Hi I'm thinking of starting my 8 year old daughter on this. Her behaviour and attention span is getting worse and she is working at about 2 years behind her peers. Her diet is very limited pasta chicken white bread that sort of thing, so I'm sure taking these supplements would not do any harm. She is also taking anti-epileptic medication can anyone tell me if this would be ok.

Yes, I did. He hated the taste of it - I bought the citrus one, so I "hid" it in some milk. He drank it no problem but 2 minutes later threw up everywhere. Its very oily. If you can get your child to take it, I'm sure it is good stuff, but my son just couldn't cope with it, I think it was the denseness of it. :tearful:

hi all,

just to keep you updated..

m loves the taste :P i just say it's vitamins to keep him healthy, he seems ok with that explanation.

no difference as yet, but i will carry it on and let you all know.

:)

To all those who's kids don't like the fishy taste or oily texture of the liquid - have you tried the Eye Q Smooth? It's a yogurt texture and tastes and smells like fruits of the forset, you don't have to keep it in the fridge like the liquid and it comes in premeasured sachets, just like a frube "type" yoghurt. My son loves them with his breakfast, even though he got on fine with the liquid I changed to these because of their convienience. Downside is that they do cost a bit extra :( you can get them from Boots and they are always on 3 for 2 offer B)

Thanks for the info on eye q smooth. Just contacted them as we have a real problem with citrus and anyother fruit flavour (but he likes yoghurt) and they have said they will send me a sample. If he likes it it's worth the extra as we have seen a difference in behaviour with it (and without it :lol: ) Just wish it could be got on prescription from the doctor but they won't prescribe it!

Hi,

M has been using the capsule form of Eye Q for about 18 months. He is very happy to take them (without anything to drink :wacko: ) - although I know that they have proven a bit too big to swallow for some other kids.

There has been a marked improvement in his ability to concentrate, so we think it has been well worth the expense! :dance:

At least with Boots you can stock up using their 3 for 2 deal - buy in store or online. Three of the 180 capsules lasted approx. a year so only need to worry about that once a year!!!

Hello

I tell my little boy that he is getting his fish medicine. He has been taking it for a quite a while now and there is a very very notable difference in his behaviour and language.

Elaine

Hi, to all those whose children don't like the taste of eye q or find the capsules too large to swallow.

I can't recommend highly enough the morepa mini. They come in a very small capsule which is very easy for a child to swallow. They can be opened up and the liquid (strawberry flavoured) put in drinks or yoghurts. But I'd say the capsules are small enough for this not to be necessary. Also, they only need to take two a day as the concentration of omega 3's are very high in each capsule.

Also, it takes about 3 months for them to reach full affect, so it's important to remain patient while waiting for improvements.

There is an autism treatment evaluation check list you can fill in prior to intervention and afterwards to guage improvement (sometimes the change is too gradual for us to be fully aware).

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/ATEC.htm (autism treatment evaluation check list)

Lauren

Thanks for the link Lauren. M's been on the eye q supplement for around a month now, but only began seriously (as in made sure he had the correct amount every day :rolleyes ) for the past couple of weeks. I've stocked up on the boots two for three, but the tablets sound like a better idea - if he'll have them :shame::)

I contacted eye q for a sample of the eye q smooth. 2 arrived in the post today. It's something they obviously do regularly as the paperwork that came with it was telling you how to get a discount if you buy from them direct. Got that link further up the post. Might be worth a try before spending a fortune on it

My son is now refusing to take his eye q liquid, so bought some of the smooth stuff - i had a taste of it and i though it was horrible. Bribed my son to take some. Is it ok to mix this stuff with other yoghurt or something?

hi

my son has been taking eye q for the past two years. We started off with the initial 6 capsules a day for three months and now he takes just two a day. I have to be honest and don't feel that they have really made any great difference. His appetite is poor due to conerta and as he is also a faddy eater, I feel it will help keep his diet a little healthier.

jesie :huh:

My son has been on eye q for some time now and he takes the liquid no probs his concentration span is much much better and the speech he has got is a lot clearer

My 14 year old has been on it for 3 years now, it's fantastic. When I first started him on it I didn't tell anyone as I was afraid they'd think I'd lost the plot, within 6 weeks people were commenting on the changes in him - I'd seen big improvements within days. ;)

You can buy it in various flavours and forms, ie capsules, granules, liquid and a smoothie kind of thing, you can even apply it but only about 60% will be absorbed so double the does. Of late it has been said that our children need double the dose anyway, but my son has been great on the normal dose.

You can almost always get it in Boots priced at 3 for 2.

My daughter has been prescribed Omacor to help her painful joints. Apparently this is a different formulation of omega 3 than the usual over the counter stuff and is supposed to have performed favourably in recent trials. It's too early to tell yet if it will have a beneficial effect - I'll keep you posted.

I had a similar medication to all this, but I forgot what it was called. My mum and granny saw an improvement in me. I then moved to Eye Q but I stayed the same.

I think everyone should try this sort of thing, not just the people with learning disabilities.

I think everyone should try this sort of thing, not just the people with learning disabilities.

:thumbs: Totally agree if it helps with brain development and learning, hence both my sons take a type of DHA supplement

Hi I'm thinking of starting my 8 year old daughter on this. Her behaviour and attention span is getting worse and she is working at about 2 years behind her peers. Her diet is very limited pasta chicken white bread that sort of thing, so I'm sure taking these supplements would not do any harm. She is also taking anti-epileptic medication can anyone tell me if this would be ok.

My brother has epilepsy, and he takes Eye Q. It is just fish oil, and doesn't react with other meds.

Hi Smiley. I've had my son on omega 3 supplements since February and the change in him is so remarkable I have also started my other children on them. He isn't taking eye q, he is taking morepa mini which is for children age from 5 onwards and is a small enough capsule for a child to swallow easily (or you can open up the capsules and put the strawberry liquid in to yoghurts etc).

So yes, I'd highly recommend you start your son on eye q or similar. You have to give it 3 months before it takes fully effect.

Eye q is one that most people use because it is readily available in most chemists. Morepa is not so readily available and I buy it online (though it comes within 48 hours). I'd be happy to supply the link if you are interested (I'm not commercially involved... just very happily using it for my kids!).

Lauren

I know this topic was posted some time ago but can you tell me where i can obtain this capsure morepa mini my son will be 5 in may and if small children can take this capsule then great. I tried the oils but he will not take the oil due to the very fishy taste it has ( I tried it and I totally agree !!! )

I would be really grateful to you.

Mali.....

My son loves them ... sooner him than me!!! They taste kind of like tuna with fruit yoghurty stuff mixed in.

I noticed they are now doing Eye Q Chews or something too ... and for ?8.99 for 60 chews (compared with ?14.99 for 30 Eye Q Smooth's). I am going to ask for a sample from Equazen.

Word to the wise ... Boots often do Eye Q on a buy 2 get one free basis.

Oh ... and don't rely on the Omega 3 enriched milk, it doesn't provide enough ... I had it tested by the dieticians.

I expect that the NHS wants to keep the fish oil on prescript a bit 'hush hush' as everyone will want them. May be a good idea to ask about it. I heard that the government were thinking of giving little ones a fish oil supplement at school.

My son has been on Smooth for about 2 years now and takes it no problem. It smells really strong (haven't tasted it - too chicken) but suppose to be fruits of the forest or something. I did ask my doctor about getting it on prescription and I was told no. However in certain parts of the country you can apparently but I think it's one of those postcode lottery things again, Dorset isn't a particularly well of County I guess. I looked at the new Chews but when you compare the figures on the side of the packet the chews have less in them so I am sticking with the smooth. At least you don't have to keep the smooth in the fridge like you do the bottled liquid.

Sample arrived today. So pleased I did that before buying some as he threw up because he didn't like it :blink:

SNAP!!! :sick:

i gave my son the smooth eye q stuff - didn't like it. I had a taste and thought it was yuck! he takes in the form of liquid and has not bribes now ie sweeties

Quick - jump on this bandwagon before it leaves town ...

I sent an email to Equazen asking them if I could have a sample of the new Eye Q Chews (they are cheaper than the Smooths, my son has been on Eye Q Smooth for a year).

They sent me out a whole 60 chew bottle worth ?9.00 by Recorded Delivery with a load of brochures and information on their other products.

I think it is www.equazen.com - I got a reply from a lady called Charlene.

Thanks for that - I emailed and asked for some and got a pack of 60 chewies and a sample of smooth :)

Unfortunately G tasted one chewy and spat it out in disgust. Then screamed at me for giving him them.

His little brother (3 next month) found them acceptable though.

I tried one and they're not all that disgusting - I've tried a few different types of omega oil and they are foul but this one reminded me of strawberry chewing gum that has lost most of it's taste.

Will really have to work on getting him to be able to take tablets as the only ones he will tolerate are halibo orange which are full of rubbish. Although we're making progress with Efaflex which I think is slightly better.

Edited by jlp

I asked my doctor last year if he could prescribe Eye Q for Sean. He said that he can prescibe it but not to someone with Sean's condition??????? Still buying the capsules.

Edited by keyholekate

hi all i use vitality for my youngest its a yogurt drink he loves it,its 1.85 for 6 but sometimes a lot of shops do bogofs i also buy a drink from iceland called drinky its 1.00 for 4 but contains omega3's in it,my twins drink the milk they love it,also hovis are introducing a new bread with omega3's in it,maybe the schools could introduce the milk to the children as my 2 won't take the capsules as they can't swallow tablets.keep smilin luv karin :D:D