Sign in to follow this  
moncs

ABA

I've not looked into this very much but have reciently heard of a family who is using this treatment with their son. The ABA therapist is also giving input to the child at nursery . I have heard some really scary things about the therapist forcing the child to sit and phsically moving the legs to get him to sit . This is all given the ok by the parents. They are expecting the nursery to carry this. This does not sit very well with me and I was wondering if anyone has tried ABA , is this just a one off thing I have heard or is it always this forceful ? I would be interested to know of any experiences.

Moncs

ABA focuses on compliance and acquisition of skills.

It is a compensation program as it doesnt work on the core deficits of autism.

In my opinion it doesnt help a child learn how to think for themselves, live in a dynamic world or have a better quality of life.

There are so many different 'types' of ABA out there; the old style Lovaas type is probably the most strict type out there.

It all depends on what your looking for really.

Elisa

edited in line with forum rules and guidelines

Edited by baddad

ABA seems to be very popular in Ireland at the moment. I would think it is best suited to the more 'autistic' level (sorry, don't know how better to put it). It is breaking down every item of required behaviour and repeating it over and over until it becomes a habit. I would think that for more high functioning children it would be less effective. I know I would never try it with my DS - he's 11. Perhaps if we had had a diagnosis at 3 or 4.....