Sign in to follow this  
butterfingersbimbo

worms!!!

a while ago i had my e mail cut off cos they thought i was sending thousands of e mails.....it turned out that it was a worm....anyway have got it back cos i keep getting weird e mails about it....have ran spy bot, is there anything else i can do? :notworthy:

Hi bfb -

Are you sure it's not just regular spam? There's a lot of it about these days...

As well as running spybot you should run your antivirus software, as spyware/adware and worms/viruses are completely different things...

Worth having an extra spyware application too, but be careful as some 'free' programmes are actually spyware themselves...

Two good ones are Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (make sure you download it from them or an authorised and known 'mirror') and the new AVG one (AVG Antispyware by Grisoft) which uses the engine an old favourite called 'Ewido'... again, be careful about eher you download from and with the latter make sure it is the free edition.

I have all 3 on my system and they run without problems - I usually alternate between all 3 so if one misses something it's picked up by the other.

Be careful what you delete though, and always 'quarantine' for a while first. Spyware is tricky if you are not sure what you're doing...

L&P

BD :D

BTW - Make sure you have your antivirus configured to check e-mails as they come in. If what you're using doesn't have e-mail scanning try to get something that does (AVG FREE is a good 'basic' prog)... Also have you got a firewall? Windows firewall is a bit 'lightweight' if that's all you have, the freeware ZoneAlarm (by Checkpoint) product is much better... :)

Be careful what you delete though, and always 'quarantine' for a while first.

Hi Baddad,

Could you explain this last bit in English for techy-softies (or whatever else I might be called . . . :lol::wacko: )

Each week when my Norton anti-virus whatsis does its thingymejig, it comes up with finding one low risk tracking cookie. Now I like cookies (particularly the oatmeal and raisin ones) but I don't think this is such a nice type. The options include leaving it, quarantining it or deleting it. I always delete it and this hasn't done anything bad in the past - am I doing the wrong thing? You've got me worried now :unsure:

Thanks,

Mumble.

Guest Lya of the Nox

see now when i saw this post 1st today

i assumed as i do( work with kids lol)

that it was yucky body worms thingys lol :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

soo glad it not tho

have u tried running a free trend scan, ?

mumble i delete all the cookies my scans find lol

excepting the double choccy ones, cos i like them

but the boys in my house like u are partial to oatmeal and rasin

Hi Baddad,

Could you explain this last bit in English for techy-softies (or whatever else I might be called . . . :lol::wacko: )

Each week when my Norton anti-virus whatsis does its thingymejig, it comes up with finding one low risk tracking cookie. Now I like cookies (particularly the oatmeal and raisin ones) but I don't think this is such a nice type. The options include leaving it, quarantining it or deleting it. I always delete it and this hasn't done anything bad in the past - am I doing the wrong thing? You've got me worried now :unsure:

Thanks,

Mumble.

Hiya M - sorry if I rattled you! I was more talking about viruses and stuff than spyware 'cos they sometimes 'embed' in system files... Deleting tracking cookies etc isn't going to cause you any problems, so carry on :)...

Chances are whatever antivirus etc you use quarantines stuff automatically (most do by default) but you've just never noticed it. Basically it keeps the virus held safe for a period of time so that you can 'deconstruct' it manually if it's taken out code you do need to keep or to give you time to check it out on the web for further info...

Cookies... there are a number of HobNob worshippers around here so be careful what you say ;):lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

have you had the hob nobs with the choccie stuff in the middle? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

have got avg and ran that and it found some worms and got rid of them.....fingers crossed that they dont return!

thanks dude! :notworthy: