Sign in to follow this  
helenl53

Statement of Special Needs

Hi everyone

I have today received notification that the LEA will be issuing a Draft Statment of Special Educational Nees for my son. This was after a decision not to proceed with the Stautory Assessment and a successful appeal by myself.

I need to say an enormous "THANK YOU" to everyone on this Forum and in particular "NELLIE" who did not know it, but pointed me in the right direction.

I have been a member for a while, but somehow my name got obliterated so I had to re-register as another user and have been a sometimes "poster" but mainly a "lurker" for about 10 months.

It has been a struggle but not possible without the support and information on this forum

"A very tearful "Gwynneth Paltrow" type sobbing THANKS to everyone"

Love

Helen :dance::dance:

Congratulations Helen, you must be very relieved.

Just remember not to get carried away with the euphoria and let them get away with murder in the small print. Read it very carefully before you sign anything!

Simon

Well done missus!! :thumbs:

That's brilliant news you must be delighted!

And as always excellent links Nells very useful as we are due to recieve our draft of Lews record of Needs next month!!

Kirstie.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your really kind congratulations. Yesterday was a very emotional day for me and still feel slightly wobbly. Although I have jumped a major fence, there is a long way to go and, thanks Simon, I will be very aware that the LEA may give me a "comfort" statement to shut me up.

My joy is tinged with sadness at the number of parents who fight every bit as hard or harder and who fail to get what is a basic right for their kids. I recently spoke to a chap called Nigel Fulton who is in the office of the Minister for Education at the Dfes. He did seem to be sympathetic and opened email dialogue with me for a while. He was only one of a number of officers in the department who have specific territorial responsibility for kids with ASD's and he helpfully pointed me to the one for our area. He told me that if I was having difficulty with the local LEA, then they would intervene with the LEA on my behalf. He did explain that Ministers themselves could not get involved with local issues. I suppose they are like the "Big Boss" of the LEA. It may be worth some parents contacting the Dfes to see how much influence they can be on some of these issues.

The phone number is 0870 0002288 and I suppose you would ask for the officer with particular responsibilities for ASD's in your area.

I never tried it as it was going to be my next step before tribunal.

Nellie, I used to be "Stressed Eric" and I had problems with some rogue emails being sent to me and then somehow was not able to sign on so I just "lurked"

Best wishes

Helen

Helen

Yes, I remember you!! :) You go way back. I'm sorry you had these problems with the emails and signing on but I'm so pleased your back. Please don't leave, :pray: you are a valuable member of the forum.

I do agree that the number of parents who are having to fight to get their child's needs recognised and met is alarming. It is becoming clear that following the correct rules to get your child provision to meet their needs no longer works. LEA's criteria is becoming tighter to the extent that it is unlawful.

I think parents have to start complaining about their LEA's and schools, making their voices heard and demanding action. Children are supposed to be protected by SEN law. Thank you for the telephone number, I hope it helps some parents.

Well done you, you should be very proud. :notworthy: I hope you're feeling less wobbly today. :wacko:

Take care

Nellie >:D<<'>

Nellie,

Thanks!

You are quite right about schools and LEA's breaking the law! - I find that they become very "closed shop" when you try to complain. Also we get so worn out and weary just dealing with the day to to day issues affecting our kids at school that we just seem to go round chasing our tails. I think that they do this deliberately so that we become battle weary and give up.

I have kept a running diary for the last two years and have written to the school, copying in to pupil parent support on every issue that has arisen - no matter how trivial it may have seemed at the time and I think that this has helped in the arguement that "Schools Action Plus" was way too inadequate. It has also helped by writing to confirm the content of conversations between myself and teachers, headteachers, Sencos and anyone else involved in the education of Jordan.

I have to be honest and say that I think that statementing our children should really be the norm as there are very few establishments able to manage our kids with any degree of success. Until schools become "Centres of Excellence" for the education and management of our kids then we need to keep the pressure on to have the security of a Statement.

I think that the Dfes are becoming aware that there is some difficulty with inclusion but I don't think they know the true extent of the problem for our kids with the policy and perhaps we need to copy them in to our local problems as well! I got well and truly hacked off with the LEA constantly blaming the problems my lad was having on a lack of funding from the government.

There is too much buck passing and too many chiefs and not enough indians within LEA's. They need a good swift kick up the a.... For too long they have become a law unto themselves and bring into disrepute, those LEA's that are progressive and law abiding.

Love

Helen

I have to be honest and say that I think that statementing our children should really be the norm as there are very few establishments able to manage our kids with any degree of success. Until schools become "Centres of Excellence" for the education and management of our kids then we need to keep the pressure on to have the security of a Statement.

Well said Helen. :clap:

Nellie xx

Hi Jericho,

Many thanks - As we speak, I am still awaiting the draft statement - it is not over till the "fat lady" (me until the diet kicks in) scrutinises the statement.

Happy New Year

Love

Helen