Sign in to follow this  
kirstie

visual timetables

Hi Everyone,

I have been wondering about this for quite a while now, so i thought i would ask for advice.

Basically Lewis won't even look at his timetable let alone comply with it.

Special interests apart he does tend to lose interest in things quite quickly, once the novelty factor has worn off.

Eventually his outreach Autism teacher saw for herself Lewis absoloutley would not look at it and has no interest whatsoever in it. She has now decided to scrap it for now and go back to basics with him with intensive play and re-introducing it one or two high motivating tasks at a time.

What i wonder is this, although i know visual timetables are hugely beneficial for the vast majority of our children on the Spectrum they are all different and what works for one child may not work for another. Do any of you think that sometimes it just might not work? Do any of you have similar experiences? I would love to hear your advice.

This has been going on for many months by the way.

Thanks folks i appreciate your help on this.

Kirstie.

Not all things work with all children - but I think visual timetables are one of the things most likely to work with all ASD children.

Social stories did not work for one of my sons.

Visual timetables are only an aid - eg: if the child cannot brush his teeth, then putting it on a visual timetable will not enable him to do so. Perhaps your son is just not ready for that yet.

A visual timetable has helped my other son at school, but he still will not go to some lessons. I doubt he will ever go to French, and he is going to need some support to go to English. His (mainstream) school has been surprised how much they have helped, and can't understand why, as my son can read and use a normal timetable.

Karen

We used to use a task timer because visual timetables never worked for Matthew, especially if he could see something coming up on the time table that he did not like. So after someone on another list said that they had found timing activities worked well for them - we tried it out in a slightly different format. We used a bog standard basic egg timer to begin with and would set a task that lasted that long eg brush your teeth, wash your face etc. Then we moved onto a stop watch with a definite bleep and used that as a timer.

We would sit Matthew down with a task and say that as soon as the watch bleeped we would change the task. This worked really well on tasks he did not like. We also found it excellent for stopping rough and tumble play. We would set the timer and as soon as it went that meant game over. The strange thing was he never questioned it. He just accepted the ruling and it worked.

As with Social Stories they did not work for Matthew when written in a book so we act ours out with his favourite cuddly toys. Because he knows his Teds it worked. We found him talking to his Teds and telling them that he understood how they felt.

Carole

Danny's school had a trial period of using an egg-timer in a similar way. It seemed to be working well until the teacher realised that Danny's classmates were turning the timer back over when she wasn't looking. :lol: Being very rule-bound he wouldn't let the teacher turn it back and so tasks always ended up taking twice as long! :lol:

As with all interventions, visual timetables can be a double edged sword.

Some kids just don't need 'em, but school's etc insist they do 'cos that's the perceived wisdom... Some kids are distressed by them, 'cos they highlight tasks they'd rather not think about, and there's no 'escape' from them because they're there in black and white... some kids thrive on them.

All of the above applies to timers too, and to pecs etc etc etc.

If the child appears to need/benefit from it, the intervention's a good one. If he/she is indifferent or put out by it, it's not. The most important thing is to work to the weaknesses and strengths of the individual and to be confident in your own judgement and observations rather than those of outsiders who may be inclined to pigeonhole.

Hope that doesn't come across as preachy or arrogant, but a personal bugbear of mine is professionals making assumptions rather than assessments, which happens far to frequently in my experience!

L&P

BD

Thanks for your replies everyone.

BD i am inclined to agree with you. My feeling is that Lewis just isn't interested and it does cause him to get irrate when people are forcing the issue with him. I kind of think that one or two professionals have lost sight (maybe never had it) that just maybe it doesn't always work. I know my boy is very much to his own agenda but at the same time i don't want to cause him undue distress.

I have used the timer with him (cheapo from Asda) that we have to use when he is on computer or playstation and it is the only thing that will get him off them!! Also the fact he has problems with pattern glare etc then maybe these symbols with the shiny laminate and white backgrounds are hurting his eyes?!

I will actually mention to the outreach staff that maybe using a timer for activities would be more beneficial for him.

Thanks all for your advice i really appreciate it. :wub:

Take care

kirstie.