Sign in to follow this  
Joe's gran

Big day

Well it's a big day for our little'un today. The ed psych is coming to nursery to do the first assessment for statementing. The LEA agreed to start the processs in Dec.

We don't have a sure dx for Joe as yet , except severe language disorder and 'abit quirky!!' (our term not theirs). Our daughter and husband (well all the family) would like Joe to go to the local language unit as despite the other traits feel language is his main problem , as do nursery, but we have been told if he gets a diagnosis of ASD/AS he will not be allowed to go even though he is the gentlest little boy with no behavioural problems (apart from the usual 3 year old things). This seems like discrimination to us but those are the rules locally. If he doesn't get into the unit we are told he will probably get mainstream support with speech therapy once a term (yes I did say that ONCE A TERM). This is for a bright 3 and half year old who can't tell you what he had for breakfast or his surname but can play games on the computer and physically is a good six months in front .There is locally a terrible lack of speech therapists but really that is not Joe's problem is it!

The situation is more compliacated as the health and education people are undecided about dx and so are leaving a decision until he is older (about 6/7 years ). The medical side seem to be going for language disorder putting the quirkiness down to stress related behaviour because of lack of understanding whereas the ed psych has mentioned AS. We feel he is probably on the AS/ASD side somewhere but feel this shouldn't be used to stop him getting the help he needs.

Anyway as I said a big day and for the next few months it's a matter of everyone's fingers and toes crossed, good vibes or prayers depending upon beliefs.

Joe's gran. :hypno:

Sad as it is you were lucky to get speech therapy once a term!! I am not condoning this in any way - it is totally appalling. However i think you will find the salt will come in and work with child for about 20mins, go away and a report will be issued in about 4 weeks, this will be given to the senco who will probably pass it on to the class teacher about 4 weeks later who will in her turn pass it on to the lsa to "do" the therapy probably with another group of "needy" children for about 20mins a week if you're lucky. The lsa may be absolutely fantastic (I know some are because I was one many years ago) but she is not a salt and will just fumble through. As an lsa I have been in the position of being asked to give salt, ot,counselling you name it I've done it It is frightening to be in a position of such responsibility with no knowledge and the fear of doing harm.

A close friend took the lea to tribunal to get speech therapy for her son after having paid for a private assessment. This went all the way to the bitter end. It was held in a hotel conference room with my friend, her husband, the head of the school, the lawyer from the downs ass ociation,the lea rep who was deaf and his interpreter. The cost of this would have paid for about 2yrs salt for her son!!!

Rant over I will now calm!!

Our daughter and husband (well all the family) would like Joe to go to the local language unit as despite the other traits feel language is his main problem , as do nursery, but we have been told if he gets a diagnosis of ASD/AS he will not be allowed to go even though he is the gentlest little boy with no behavioural problems (apart from the usual 3 year old things).

This seems like discrimination to us but those are the rules locally.

Joe's Gran,

Please don't believe what you have been told until you have seen written evidence of your authority's placement criteria. Make a request to your LEA for a copy of its placement criteria guidelines.

You really wouldn't believe how devious and underhand some senior LEA officials can be...

If your daughter is successful in gaining a Statement for Joe, then she could request the name of the unit as preferred choice in part 4 of his Statement. It would be up to the Authority to agree/disagree with your preferred choice.

If the Authority agreed with your preferred choice Joe would have the opportunity of going to the unit. If the Authority disagreed with your choice you would have the right to appeal against its decision, which would allow you to start the tribunal process.

Edited by Helen

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone. All went well today.

The ed psych was very hopeful about the statement although as she said it's up to the authority in the end. She actually agreed with our daughter that the language unit may be the best placement for Joe as language is the area where he has the most difficulties (although there are other issues). She said she would get that written into the plan or whatever it is.

So another little hurdle over for now. Of course everything is pretty much early days for us all. It is brilliant that everything is going ahead but there is still all the 'coming to terms' issues which accompany each new assessment. We found rather an excellent piece of writing on the AFASIC website which has brought a tear to our eyes but really helps to see things as they are. I expect you have all seen it before but I just wanted to share it with you.

Will try and put the link in

AFASIC Welcome to Holland

Much love

Joe's gran

She said she would get that written into the plan or whatever it is.

Joe's Gran,

Now that the EP has conducted her assessment she has to write up her report (Psychological Advice) for the consideration of the statementing panel.

From the information you've provided, it sounds as if the EP may possibly recommend the unit as a suitable placement for Joe.

If your daughter is unsure of anything that the EP has said to her, tell her to contact the EP for an explanation/ some clarification.

Thanks for that Helen. Luckily the head teacher of the nursery was in on the meeting with the EP and my daughter (although not for Joe's assessment) and she is meeting up with my daughter tomorrow to clarify any vagueness and get ready for the next stage. Joe already has a supported place at nursery (thanks to the head).

Will get back to you all when we get the draft statement as I am sure there will be things to clarify. I have already printed out the info given by AFASIC on how to spot 'vague language' in statements so we are just now taking a little time to gather breath before the next stage of the fight.

Thanks very much.

Love Joe's gran.