Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

im annoyed at the headteacher of R,s nursery

it is addressed to ALL PARENTS, but as we are the only ones who do this, we know its addressed to us:

We often park around the back of the nursery when we drop off/pick up DD.

She has hemiplegia and suspected ASD and often refuse to or is too tired to walk.

The teachers park there as well as the headteacher, we havent noticed any other parents parking to pick up/drop off their children.

we have been doing this for a long time, but last month we had a very tense meeting with the headteacher over dd coming home with bruises and telling us that children were hitting her, the headteacher was not impressed and hinted that dd was telling us these things cos thats what we WANT TO HEAR

last week she was stood in the car park and looked at us for a very long time and i said to dave she is not happy with us parking here and he said tough we have a daughter with a disability and this is a mobility car for which we have a blue badge.

anyway the letter is telling parents not to park in this car park as there is a health and safety issue, and she doesnt want any children being knocked over BUT she and all the other teachers park there every day.

as well as the cleaners and any other members of staff so if there is a health and safety issue surely they shouldnt be parking there too?

am i right to feel put out or is this just a normal thing from a nursery?

I think it all depends on the circumstances, doesn't it?

Is the car park in constant use?

Do any other parents park there, or is it just you? (It could be that with cars and small children milling about and the fact that however careful the driver, you can't see small children as they are, well, too small!) Just because you haven't noticed anyone else using it, doesn't mean they don't.

Perhaps the members of staff who park there are there all, or a big part. of the day?

Do you have to enter the car park to get into nursery even if you have no car? If the cars are usually stationary, then it feels "safer" than an obviously busy car park and maybe parents relax a little, not expecting any of the cars to move....

Hmmm, starting to ramble a bit now.

As for the bruises, I'd check it out with the staff who are with your daughter all the time. If something is going on, then they must be aware of it, and if not then you must make them aware that this COULD be happening. That way they can observe her and the other children.

I suspect that the school have the right to tell you NOT to park there (is it not school property?), but I may be wrong.

As for the letter, I think it was more of an attempt at diplomacy, trying not to make you feel singled out...

Hope that helps a bit........

id say about 99.9% of children go out through the other way and that its just teachers/staff and probably us that use the car park, us cos its near

and R most of the time has to be carried.

the other teachers are coming and going throughout the day as they have a lot of part time and supply staff.

we are literally there for 2 mins while we drop her off and pick her up.

otherwise we have to walk up a very long path and cross the road (which is busy) while carrying R.

it just doesnt seem like a major thing and it hasnt bothered the headteacher until now.

I wonder if you could ask them if they wouldn't mind making an exception in your case under the circumstances. Some places stipulate no parking other than for SEN. At our school there are two car parks, one for staff and one, further away, essentially for parent pick-ups but they allow the taxis to wait for SEN kids in the staff car park and I wait there as well and haven't been told not to (not yet anyway!).

~ Mel ~

If that's the case and you are actually carrying R, then what's the problem?

It certainly seems unreasonable to me, and I'd like to know what Health and Safety issues the Head has, especially as it's a recent thing.

I'd try and discuss it with the Head, maybe you can reach a compromise?

Give it a go, at least....

Our school has exactly the same rule, and for the same reasons. Taxis and the After school club minibus also use the carpark, as do parents picking up ill children. Most of the staff are there by 8.10 am, TA's leave between 11 and 12. The children don't arrive until 8.30 onwards, so there are no moving vehicles around when they are arriving or leaving.

I would go with oxgirl's suggestion and have a meeting with the head and actually ask permission to park. Point out the disability badge and the reasons why, so she knows you weren't just taking a liberty.You have an excellent reason for asking to be an exception to the rule. School grounds are not usually public, that's why we can lock gates to the grounds.

That said, my school up north was a community school, with a right of access through the playground which members of the public could use at any time.

Some parents are arrogant, and put their child's convenience above other children's safety. We have zig-zag lines outside the school entrance, and face a busy road. The same three parents alternate parking on the lines to drop off children. We've reported them to the local plods, sent letters to all parents etc.

We've also had near-misses when parents pull out of the carpark, across the pavement whilst talking/yelling to the children in the back seats.

Edited by Bard

Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong, and this may just apply in Scotland - but surely the new Disability Discrimination Act requires all schools/nurseries to provide at least one disabled parking space, and easy access to and from the grounds and building for disabled people? If this doesn't just apply up here, I'd be claiming my rights if I were you.

The DDA currently only applies to schools from KS3 and above. KS2 and lower will have to abide by it from Dec 3rd this year. Then, as you say, they will have to provide at least one disabled parking space. Currently they do not need to have one. However they should be writing a Disability Equality Scheme and inviting the views of disabled parents, pupils, staff and visitors - if they are sensible they will also be seeking the views of parents of disabled children - as a part of this process. I'd be asking them if they are setting up a forum and if you can be on it if I were you JenRose.