Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Logans been called up for his MMR/CTP Boosters again

I dont know why I stress about this - maybe its because I have so much more knowledge than I used to have :-( He had his original MMR which I dont blame at all for his autism. However, some of you may remember he had suspected measles earlier this year so had tests done by the Dept of Health and they came back saying they couldn't say he definitely did not have measles, but it was unlikely, but that he was definitely now immune to measles. Mumps can be pretty nasty I know, I had it and then my H had it as an adult, and I know its worse for boys than girls, but then fertility isn't going to be an issue in Logans future anyway if we're being realistic.

I also wonder if he's immune to measles then he's likely immune to the others too.

But then I'm not sure what to do about the DTP boosters :-(

I just dont see the point in putting him through any extra stress.

Any thoughts? Opinions??

Lynne x

Edited to add I say again, because they first called him up when he was only 3 and 2 months!! I refused to have it done then.

Hiya...as Mumps can be pretty horrid for a boy to catch I'd go for a single mumps jab, and probably enquire with the mobile health co that does single jabs what they think about likely immunity to anything else if already immune to measles.

Please PM me if you want details for the company mentioned/...not sure if I can post their name on here.

Rgds

I'm having the same dilemma. But, as I understand it from a virologist I know, it's only the measles part that really needs a top up. The other two are pretty certain to be 100%. As my dd had a strong reaction to the MMR I'm fairly certain that she has full immunity (they worry more about kids who didn't get a reaction) I'm still trying to decide about the DTP one, think I will book her for it and brazen out the HV's pushing for MMR. :unsure:

A x

Adam had his DTP jab but has not yet had his preschool MMR booster. He was supposed to be having his immunity tested before I amde a decision but the sample got lost on the way to the lab and he's not needed a blood test since. I periodically think he should have his booster but then put it off. Had his DTP one done because the illnesses they protect against are more serious. Was also worried that if he didn't have the full course of tetanus and he cut himself on a nail or something similar or got bitten I'd have to cart him off for an tetanus booster and wanted to avoid such a scenario

Lx

Adam had his DTP jab but has not yet had his preschool MMR booster. He was supposed to be having his immunity tested before I amde a decision but the sample got lost on the way to the lab and he's not needed a blood test since. I periodically think he should have his booster but then put it off. Had his DTP one done because the illnesses they protect against are more serious. Was also worried that if he didn't have the full course of tetanus and he cut himself on a nail or something similar or got bitten I'd have to cart him off for an tetanus booster and wanted to avoid such a scenario

Lx

Hiya Liz

I ended up doing the same, I had his DTP done and not his MMR. The surgery didn't even question me actually which was nice! Well they asked why for the forms, but said they understood. I might have him tested for rubella/mumps if he needs any blood tests over the next wee while but I already know he's immune to measles which woudl probably worry me more.

Lynne x

O is not going to have his MMR booster but I'm in a real dilemma over the DTP as we going abroad in October. He is severely autistic but has made some gains in speech and sociability and the thought of him regressing is just awful. I just don't think I could risk it. What do you think?

Thanks Elun xx

Hi

I let E have the DTP but not the MMR booster, my mother says she knew he was autistic before he had the MMR, however I could not go through with the booster jab. I have been asked several times by HV and school nurse to let him have it but do not feel comfortable and although It runs the risk of him contracting Mumps or measels feel that I still do not want him to have the jab. A very personal dissicion and a very hard one. I am scared that children on the spectrum maybe have a bad reaction to the jab.... not saying I think it causes autism but maybe just maybe affects them in a negative way.

no help I am sure..... but I can not get my head round the booster. Maybe single jabs are the way to go but feel even they may have a risk??????

This is possibly a parinod parent responce and I am sure you will do what you feel is right

xxxc

I gave both my girls the MMR on time as it was before all the problems with the link with autism. When i had my son, my mother was re training as a nurse and I had a few concerns about giving my son the jab. Somy mum went to the hospital library and got some books out that are not used for the publc and read up on the subjet. it said that although there was a question mark at the time of a link to autism, there was no question mark whatsoever with kids who had the jab after 2 yrs of age instead of the normal 1 yr old. So i held out til my son was 2. the HV had a fit but I explained what I had found out and she couldn'y say much as i was planning to immunise him, just not when the Hv dictated I should. I felt happy with my decision and still do even though my son has dx aspergers. Funny how thngs work out. HoweverI do not believe theat the MMR gave him asergers x

my son had his mmr at the usual time but we refused the booster as in scared it will make him worse! i have asked fro test to check his immunity but thet are dragging their heels and pushing for a booster! has anyone experienced a regression after the booster? im just not sure i wasnt to take the risk!

sonj :o)

my son had his mmr at the usual time but we refused the booster as in scared it will make him worse! i have asked fro test to check his immunity but thet are dragging their heels and pushing for a booster! has anyone experienced a regression after the booster? im just not sure i wasnt to take the risk!

sonj :o)

Hi i think my 2 older daughters regressed a little with the booster, but my younger daughter who is due it in the next 6mths i am dreading as she had the mmr which made her regress she lost her speech and made her reflux play up and have seizures due to not breathing, she still does autistic tendencies like tip toeing, flapping her hands when excited although she isn't severe, i am still worried that she might regress further, my middle dd has learning difficulties as well in education i think she is dyslexic which can go hand in hand with another learning dissability. Sharon x

My son had all the vacc's at all the "right" times. Looking back, I can see the signs of AS from the day he was born - definite sensory issues that i just didn't piece together until later;) He didn't have any reaction at all to his first jabs, and only a mild tempreture for a few hours with the boosters - certainly no developmental of emotional reactions.

the new one is a boy too - I am a bit concerned and I am sure i will be totally neurotic about every developmental milestone he does and doesn't hit for the first few years, but he will still have all of his jabs when offered. I've seen kids die of measles and be permently damaged by menigitus, I've seen polio sufferers and know the anger I felt when breezily oild that there was rubella going round the nursery, but not to worry, it wasn't very serious and many of the children could still come in (I was 6 weeks pregnant at the time).

My DH is not able to have most vacc's due to medical reasons and I would prefer him not to get preventable diseases - when mumps was going round a few years ago he was in isolation for 6 weeks>:(

Why even consider not giving the DTP? Polio is still rife in many parts of the world and still kills and maims, as well as being extremely virilent. Diptheria kills millions each year. Tetnus is literally everywhere! With such a mobile world population, there is no way to keep your kids safe other than vaccinations!

My DH is not able to have most vacc's due to medical reasons and I would prefer him not to get preventable diseases - when mumps was going round a few years ago he was in isolation for 6 weeks>:(

Why even consider not giving the DTP? Polio is still rife in many parts of the world and still kills and maims, as well as being extremely virilent. Diptheria kills millions each year. Tetnus is literally everywhere! With such a mobile world population, there is no way to keep your kids safe other than vaccinations!

Completely agree. They were saying on the news last night that the low uptake of the swine 'flu vaccine (only 25% of eligible people have had it) was in part due to concerns in general about vaccines stemming from the erroneous MMR/autism debate and people extending these concerns to the swine 'flu vaccine, so putting themselves (and those who can't be vaccinated or those they care for) at risk by remaining unvaccinated.

Completely agree. They were saying on the news last night that the low uptake of the swine 'flu vaccine (only 25% of eligible people have had it) was in part due to concerns in general about vaccines stemming from the erroneous MMR/autism debate and people extending these concerns to the swine 'flu vaccine, so putting themselves (and those who can't be vaccinated or those they care for) at risk by remaining unvaccinated.

i know a lot of parents of under 5s who will refuse the vaccine for their kids because it hasn't been tested on that age group... but thats cos its not possible to test on kids that young! that said the poor uptake could also be due to doctors surgeries which aren't implementing the plan properly. our drs sugery has just put up a sign saying 'if you meet the criteria for a vaccine ask at the desk for an appointment'!!!! i'm eligible, but probably had swine flu already so i'm not having the vaccine.