Sign in to follow this  
pingu

HELLLLLLPPPPPP

Hi technie people.

I was wondering if you could explain how to get my new dvd+rw ram drive to work.

We have already placed the drive into the computer and it powers up when we switch the computer on. Inside is connected via the IDE Cable which is also connected to the original CD RW drive. (im almost sure its been installed right)

Anyway when we initally powered up it recognised the new harddrive and asked to install so we did. Asked for reboot which we did. and now neither of the drives are working. it doesnt show up on the computer at all.

So please could someone tell me where we went wrong, and how to get it working, i feel like its something so small, like something that needs to be done, but i cant put my finger on what that is.

Thankyou wonderful people.

shaz

Hi pingu -

generally speaking it's better if you have your two drives running seperately - try installing the CDRW as a 'slave' to the hard drive IDE and the DVDRW as a 'master' on its own IDE ...

That should give you:

- IDE Primary Master - hard drive

- IDE Primary slave - CDRW

- Secondary IDE Master - DVDRW.

You shouldn't need to install any drivers - both cd/dvd drives should be recognised as standard drives.

My guess is if you've attached the new drive to the existing drive's ribbon cable you've got them both set as 'masters'. You could try just setting the second to 'slave' (you'll need to move the jumpers on the back, but the drive paperwork will show you how to do that), but tha above is generally considered the most stable configuration...

If memory serves correctly, the old drive was a combi - DVD reader/CD writer(?) Best bet is to make that your default 'player' and just use the DVD writer for all your burning. probably doesn't make much difference, but less wear and tear on the laser head of the burner :)

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Hi Bd

I took the easy step and disconnected the cd drive and the dvd is now working. but thanks for your advice i will try that when i feel brave.

cheers hun x