Sign in to follow this  
nellie

Amending statements on year of transfer.

The law now requires that the child's Statement must be amended before February 15 of they year of transfer.

When it is unclear at the Year 5 review which school a child will move onto at secondary stage, the Code suggests that an interim review may be needed to comply with the requirement to amend the Statement by February 15 of the year of transfer to name the new school.

When the change of school is from one phase of schooling to another, the Code urges advance planning. So for transfer to secondary school it suggests that the Year 5 review should give clear recommendations as to the type of provision required after primary school. The aim is to give parents of children with Statements the same length of time as other parents to consider appropriate options. The law now requires that the child's Statement must be amended before February 15 of the year of transfer in the light of these recommendations. This applies to transfers from first to middle and to higher schools, transfers between schools at 16 and transfers from primary to secondary. It does not apply for transfers between early years provision and primary school (SEN Reg 19).

It is good practice for the SENCO of the receiving school to attend the Year 6 annual review for primary pupils whose Statement already names their secondary school. Parents could ask their child's primary school head teacher if this will happen at their child's final review.

Nellie,

Does that mean that the LEA should name the secondary school Jack will be going to on his statement by 15th February?

I've chosen two schools, a grammar if Jack passes the 11+ and a comprehensive (out of borough) if he doesn't. Everyone (without statements) should find out on the 1st March what school they are going and whether they've passed or not. Does this mean I will know sooner?

Lisa

I've just phoned the LEA and got my answer. It's the 15th February. I'm so nervous for him. It's horrible having to wait so long to find out if he has passed when he took the test the beginning of October. I'm also not confident that he'll get the comprehensive we've chosen if he doesn't pass. I think I've put really good reasons for wanting him to go to that school in particular but you never know. The lady at the LEA said that if there was a problem you'd get contacted before 15th Feb. :wacko: That'll be us then. Nothing seems to be straight forward in this house. Fingers crossed anyway. :pray::pray::pray:

Sorry for rambling.

Lisa

Lisa,

Discussions should have taken place to determine which school is most suitable and the statement amended by the 15th February. If a decision can't be made for certain reasons then I believe the LEA should amend it as soon as possible.

Nellie xx

At Jack's Year 5 annual review, the LEA officer couldn't make it at the last minute and someone else stood in for her. The SENCO was new to the position and it was her first secondary transfer review. Secondary schools weren't even mentioned until the end of the meeting when the SENCO passed a form for me to fill in with my preference of school. There was no discussion.

I'm not bothered now about it. I'd done my own research and decided on which school would suit him myself but one thing that I will be doing is trying to ensure that the SENCO at his new school attends his Year 6 review. Jack had only had his statement 6 weeks at the time of the year 5 review and I'm much more clued up on what should happen now.

Thanks Nellie.

Lisa