Sign in to follow this  
poppy

IEP SENCO'S MISTAKE

Have just received my sons latest IEP and on the back of it another childs IEP info.I presume the IEP is confidential like all the info the school has about our children.Should I go straight to the Head and complain? I don't get on with the Senco as it is -she delayed our ed physico assesment 3 years ago by making out it was me with the problems and then denying it(I still have the paper work to prove otherwise) But what does anyone think I should do,I just dont think mistakes like this should be ignored.Advice please.

Poppy,

If you look on the following link and in the Code of Practice 5:50 you will find information about Group IEP's. A Group IEP is when pupils of the same group or class have the same targets and common strategies. Is it possible this is a Group IEP? If you are sure that this is not a Group IEP and the SENCO has made a mistake then you have the right to bring this to her attention and ask for an explanation.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/4610/Too...%205%20Text.pdf

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Nellie xx

Yes the IEP should be confidential. Normally I'd say to go and speak to the SENCO but as she sounds so unapproachable I think you should probably write a letter to the Head. Explain that you've received another child's information and that you would like some reassurance that the school's confidentiality policies are being adhered to. You could also request a meeting with the Head if that is what you would like. If possible deliver the letter by hand so that it doesn't mysteriously get lost in the post - as these things so often do. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's appalling,yes you should complain- it's unacceptable on the part of the school. I would not make a huge thing about it though, put the offending article in an envelope and return to the head, not the senco if you don't get on, and state your displeasure. And that you would hope your child's confidential details have not gone to another parent who may perhaps not be as discreet as yourself. Further suble hints about annual governers meeting etc may help the point get home. behaviour like this is just not on, it's not rocket science to check what's being sent to which parent, this is pure laziness.

Thank you Nellie.

I am positive its not a group IEP as my son is the only child in his mainstream school who has Aspergs,thats what makes every thing such hard work as they don't really know how to deal with us.

If I had been given someone else's IEP I would definitely have to make the other parent aware of it. I wouldn't bother making a complaint to the Senco or the headteacher or even informing either of this disclosure, I think this would be an issue for the other parent to pursue. If the other parent wouldn't want to do anything about it, then that would be his/her business.

An IEP is confidential, whoever was responsible for divulging that information should be reprimanded. Incidents like this are all too often brushed under the carpet, someone ought to be held accountable for their lackadaisical actions.

Edited by Helen

When our SENCO sent out copies of the social communication groups targets and termly plan, it had all the children in that groups names on it with our child's name highlighted. I think there were quite a lot of complaints as many parents don't want other parents knowing that their child has special needs. This term the other names were blacked out.

Lisa

thanks for replies.I went direct to the Head with the offending IEP and he nearly hit the roof. Couldn't apologise enough ,the fact that the other child has recently left the school was beside the point. Later in the day the Senco rang to apologise too!