LizK

Summer hols nearly over

and it's been surprisingly ok :thumbs: Last summer was hideous, highlight of which included DS1 pushing DS2 off the slide 'cos it was funny and DS2 breaking his ankle :crying: and not being able to leave the boys alone for 1 minute without World War 3 breaking out :shame: So was sort of dreading this summer as found it really hard coping last year

Had a good first week away in Devon, decent weather where DS2 was actually more of a concern than DS1 :ph34r:, really rather anxious and rigid which was a bit of a worry. Had no expectations of a rest from autism whilst away my usual downfall, DS1 had a blast playing on the beach and made sure he had lots of structure and sensory input and after a difficult first 24 hours he settled down nicely :) Week 2 was very hard as DS1 could not occupy himself for more than 2 minutes, could not sit still, seemed to have lost any play skills he had :(, random sensory seeking and was utterly addicted to the TV or PC. Limiting his 'screen' time was really hard but if he had too much he became utterly locked away and very aggressive. After much whingng to whoever would listen to me ;) decided on a change of tactic along the 'if you can't beat'em join 'em' lines and went out as much as we could. Worked out that if DS got lots of sensory input in the morning he was much calmer the rest of the day so we went to the park, various play areas or to friend's houses with trampolines. Had a few days out to the farm, museum or countryside. He also became obsessed with Big Cook Little Cook and cooking (makes sense after all it follows a set pattern and predictable) so we did quite a bit of cooking and he started doing some pretend cooking which gave me a bit of a break from the constant 'play with me' pleas! Structured his day with his visual timetable including his TV and PC time and managed to wean him off them to a degree, that initially was REALLY hard but he's less obsessed now than he was and I think knowing when he can have his screen time each day might have helped?

So it has been hard, I'm knackered lol! but it's been enjoyable, we've had some really lovely times together and it's gone far better than I anticipated. His behaviour has been SO much better this year, despite poor concentration and ability to occupy himself he's been so well behaved and sweet natured. Just the usual sibling squabbles with DS2 but they've played together well too and seeing them interact like that makes my heart sing. His speech has come on too, he's discovered the question 'why' and we get asked umpteen times a day 'why?' the best being 'why do I have a little ear inside my big ear' :lol: ! I'm so proud of him, he's made so much progress this last year and always tries his best. School is back in a few days time which he's happy about and whilst I'm looking forward to that as couldn't sustain the effort of keeping things going for too much longer will miss him too

Lx

I was dreading the summer hols too Liz, as I tend to find them a huge struggle. Find it impossible to keep all three kiddies occupied, and when I do try to plan days out/activities, I usually fail, miserably...............but this year, so far, so good :thumbs:

I've had a car, which has made a huge difference. I've also took each day as it comes. Got up, pottered on during the morning, had lunch, and then decided what to do for the afternoon, dependant on the weather. Most afternoons we've gone out. I must admit though, I sort of gave up trying to find things which would be enjoyable for all three...that's impossible. It's usually just me and the girlies, and DS has been happy doing his own thing.

He has had sleepovers whenever he has wanted, and we've tried to make time for him too. I always feel that I don't give any of my kiddies enough time, but I've come to accept I'll always feel that, and I've just got to do the best I can :rolleyes:

I actually don't want them to go back to school this year :tearful:

Hi Liz

I'm glad your summer went better than expected. Although parts have been stressful I think it's gone really quickly. Can't believe that this time next week will be packing lunch boxes etc ready for their first day back! :o

Elun xxx

Big pat on the back to all of you.

I've had it easy this year with JP starting work, but I will never forget those summer weeks stretching ahead like a big scary desert.

Well, here comes the voice of dissent!

I love the holidays, and have had a brilliant time with my two. The stress levels in the house would not have registered on the most sensitive of seismometers! It's been fantastic.

But you're right, the holiday coming to an end, and I dread the new term for all of us.

Life gets too crowded, too many deadlines and too much juggling of events, people, work and homework.

Back into the maelstrom. I've never liked being a working mother. :tearful:

I'm beginning to struggle now with the DS, we have a helper to take him out a few times a week which is a godsend. I have gone out down the Barrage a few times with his scooter with his sisters and he has been very aggressive and vocal but I'm counting down the days till he goes back to school and I can get a bit of me time back!

:D I really have enjoyed the summer break and so have the kids. A few up and downs but nothing major.

I'm in 2 minds about them going back to school, will be glad of the time to myself but with that comes the problem that school brings, people misunderstanding them or bullying. I'll have to get my authority head on to deal with everything and everyone.

Good Luck to Everyone in the school year ahead!!!!!!!

We've not had too bad a time.

Ds#1 exceeded all expectations by going to a playscheme for the first two weeks which was great (ds#2 was lonely though). Then we had a tricky week with ds#2 being ill and a new patio being laid so we were stuck in the house. Then I blooming got tonsillitis for the next week and was ill so stuck in again.

This last 2 weeks ds#1 has again surprised us by going to swimming lessons each morning. Luckily there's only 2 other children in the class and he hasn't been too bad (a few outbursts of shouting at the teacher because he doesn't like the arms for back crawl!) Ds#2 has been hard going at the pool side though :(

We've not been too far, the beach, a few parks and swimming and we've had a few tricky times when out - today I had to drag them both screaming from the park as I'd promised to take them home if there was any shouting and they started fighting and ds#1 had already shouted at a toddler.

I'm finding ds#2 hardest work I think and dreading him going back to nursery as his friends will have left for school which he's going to be really upset about - he's mentioned seeing one little boy all summer and this boy will have left. He's also very, very hitty and scratchy atm and I just know I'm going to be called in lots.

Ds#1 should be ok going back I think - his statement starts in September and he has full time 1-2-1 starting and lots of other stuff. I'm hoping he might start to reach his potential this year.

Edited by jlp

we hav had a good one this time horendous last yr. except 4 shan having her op but that went fine.

dreading all the stress school brings 2 reecexxx

good luck everyone glad we all had a good holsxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

love donnaxxxxxxxx

We've had a good summer break, managed to get out abit, its been easier as I passed my driving test this year.

Getting apprehensive about back to school - as DS is starting secondary, so huge amount of change including using public transport.

juney

Haven't enjoyed the summer very much I'm afraid. Sorry to sound a discordant note :(

I've always felt this way about summer hols - the prospect of 24 hours a day x 6 weeks in my children's company is distinctly underwhelming. But it's a bit worse this year because...

It's a time of transition - everyone's moving on, starting something new, which only reminds me that L isn't. This year all her peers got their A level results. Which makes me think "if only..."

I haven't been away this year as grandparents couldn't look after L . She won't go anywhere overnight except to their house. So I've really missed out on the break and every sod keeps asking "are you going/have you been somewhere nice this year?" :fight:

I've spent the last two weeks fighting the LEA about transport - writing letters...emails...you know the score..

The weather hasn't been great so I haven't even been able to enjoy sitting out in the garden.

Bah humbug!! Sorry. Will feel better in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

K x

Hiya Liz

I'm glad they've gone well! Bit of a funny one for us as we've had to move house again (last landlord gave us notice after 4 months as he was selling) but my little man starts school next week -can't quite believe it! I do like to hear you talk about how Adam is easier now than he was last year - gives me hope Logie will be the same LOL

Lynne x

I so miss the relief of kieran going back to school lol.I think they should be able to go to school as long as they want to i know kieran would have gone forever he loved school, im just sad that college didnt work out for him so everyday is school holidays. Bless him

Thanks pearl. :)

My son and I are off for a few days at least to see my familly up north. I'm going to make the most of the calm before the storm - it's straight back into the school term when we get back!

Hope everyone enjoys the last few days of the holidays - see you Monday :)

K x

Haven't enjoyed the summer very much I'm afraid. Sorry to sound a discordant note :(

I've always felt this way about summer hols - the prospect of 24 hours a day x 6 weeks in my children's company is distinctly underwhelming.

Snap!

Kathryn, and to everyone else feeling the same, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I feel like I'm crawling towards the finishing line now - only a few more days to go before school starts - and then all h*** breaks out! Still, a change is as good as a rest...

Lizzie :wacko:

K >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Been a difficult one here too. Crazy home life - me not well - work being very, very difficult (thinking of leaving...)

Any holiday from school is less stressfull for M, and as a result, he is calmer - etc, making for a happier life. But, he's had no invitations to play - he's seen no other children other than three hours one morning a week of playscheme (which, in all honesty, i think he hated - was always in or on the brink of tears when i collected him) and one ASD coffee morning a week (organised by the wonderful NikkiSmith :notworthy::notworthy:).

Tried soft play areas - in tears and hands on ears within 20 mins - tried swimming - visably shaking and white as a sheet within 10........ Tried quieter walks - pain in legs............. Tried everything i could think of......... :tearful:

I've had 'Why have i got this stupid aspergers - can you take it out for me please mummy, i want to be like the other boys' followed by frightening amounts of self harmning :tearful:

Ho hum :(

I was dreading the summer, but it's been really good and now I'm dreading going back to school. Trouble is, I KNOW that's NOT going to turn out to be good. :tearful::unsure: Have already started to lie awake at night fretting about it. :(

~ Mel ~

summer holidays are difficult i find, my son was off for 9 weeks and i saved up all year and used my family fund money and rented a tiny place in italy got cheap ryan air flights and made sure the cabin had big enclosed safe garden.....my son would and does climb the wall in the uk on a weekend never mind 9 weeks..we viewed it as an adventure and it was , very difficult at times but much better than staying in our little house. i noticed without schoool to obsess about , he became fixated on collecting pottery fragments every day and lining up.....all of his day was spent obsessing about tv schedules and comparing english and italian programmes as over there you have the option using your remote to change the language....he was setting reminders by clock and tv remote, first words out of his mouth were about tv schedules and everyone he met he talked incessently about tv schedules..he regularly woke up at 3am and wanted to get up .......the worst part was major boistrous behaviour, ignoring me on a degree ive never seen before , being so aggressive towards me i was in tears, the slightest thing i said he retaliated too ...and shouted at me saying i was saying something mean when i was just giving simple instruction, if he made a mistake or break from what he was expecting to do, he would attack me, repeated slapping, hiting , biting, i was running away and trying to hide as he wouldnt listen to me at all, nothing i said made any difference and he was obsessed with who was the boss and we had a sheet of holiday rules and everything i said he would just do back, we had star behaviour chart, he just drew me a sad face chart saying he didnt like what i was saying ...i took away his leapster and tv ....he took away my books and anything i liked .....we back now but my goodness im so tired