Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Caffine and is there a herbal substitute?

I think J is addicted to certain foods because they contain caffine, it aslo does to him the opposite to a lot of children, it actually calms him down, so I was wondering if there is a substitute herbal remedy he can take while we ween him off his beloved caffine products.

Just wondering?

JsMum

Hi There

What kind of caffeine type products is your child addicted too because if it is things like coca cola, you can definitely get a replacement for that in health shop that is caffeine and sugar free iem ade with fruit replacements and tastes just like coke, well it does to me anyway actually it tastes better. Best do it gently too and not make a big deal about it just switch it but don't say because otherwise that what is more likely to cause a problem. I can find the name of the coca cola product and list of ingredients if you like but I'll need to search it out, as we don't drink any of this stuff at all now

Js vice is cola full sugar kind.

Dairy Milk chocolate and has to be cadbury chocolate, I have tried the green and blacks choc but he hated it.

I also want something similair to caffine because in the past when he was withdrawn he had headaches.

J proper craves chocolate and coke though he has breaks and he never ates loads of it but I know that with the ammount he does intake I want to reduce it, I am sure if he didnt crave it he wouldnt be as bad.

JsMum

Oh That is a shame about green and blacks, I can't really tell the difference, it is all chocolate could he tell the difference even if you took the wrapper off cos sometimes cos they don't like change and see it is a different wrapper they won't want it, if you tell them it is healthier it is the kiss of death, but also possible that he just has extra sensory stuff with taste so just wants the familiarilty of what he likes. The cola stuff he is likely to notice then too, but I'll search it out anyway and post later.

If you try cutting it down instead or try introducing green and blcks ocasionally, butnot make a big deal of it, or you could just take it all away, and say that is that, which would be the most difficult but would work in a few days if youjust ride with the tantrums and not give in.

Hi again, there are several varieties of natural cola made from fruit juices and natural cola extract, whole earth is one. I guess there may still be caffeine in it though but at least not bucketloads of sugar.

I also just remembered there is less caffeine in cadbury as there is not much natural chocolate in it but chocolate flavouring, than green and blacks although cadbury is made with hydrogenated fat (plastic) rather than natural cocoa butter.

Sorry to be not much help then as it is caffeine you want help with, I don't know of any supplements although I'm sure there may be something to help withdrawal but just to gradually decrease those products. If I find out anything I'll post back here.

Js vice is cola full sugar kind.

Dairy Milk chocolate and has to be cadbury chocolate, I have tried the green and blacks choc but he hated it.

I also want something similair to caffine because in the past when he was withdrawn he had headaches.

J proper craves chocolate and coke though he has breaks and he never ates loads of it but I know that with the ammount he does intake I want to reduce it, I am sure if he didnt crave it he wouldnt be as bad.

JsMum

Hi JsMum,

Unfortunately headaches are unavoidable. Why dont you try cutting them down gradually - or doing 20 percent / 50 %/ mix of real coke with caffeine free coke.

Just don't buy chocolate - or swap it with white chocolate as it doesn't contain caffeine.

They say its a good idea to take a multi vitamin to ease withdrawal symptoms. Persist with Panadol it will be worth it in the end.

Recently on a health program over here they said tea counteracts the effect of caffeine.

All the best

love

F x :)

Thankyou for your great knowledge and advice Frangipani and florrie,

I have managed to keep J off cola a few more days and he has been having the mini cadbury twirls, flakes ect just two a day, and in between he has been having green and black milk chocolate small amounts.

J has been having lemonade but now I have got him onto a organic Apple and Blackcurrant diluted drink and loves it, phew, its expensive but its concentrated and nothing but the real juices and from our local health store,

we have also started him on the rescue remedy and this stuff certainly helped yesterday evening, though he was hyperactive but that could be that he isnt getting the caffine that actually helps to calm him down,

I am getting there, and he has had a few headaches so just hoping it starts to ease off soon.

I will let you know how we go with the cola and chocolate.

JsMum

Hi - just a quick question because I've been shocked reading this. Does chocolate contain caffine? I didn't know this. What about hot chocolate?

I've been so good about not having tea after 4pm to help with my sleeping put I've never thought about the chocolate I eat (I only eat Cabdurys - and I can easily taste the difference between different chocs, coke types etc - I can smell the difference easily even before I've tasted them).

Hi Js Mum, sounds like it is going really well, your child is obviously very sensitive to be getting headaches with withdrawal but keep it up as it will be worth it in the end.

Mumble, chocolate does contain caffeine not a great deal compared to coffee but it also contains high amount of a stimulant called theobromine which is similar to caffeine and apparently can actually kill dogs which is why it is removed from chocolate products for dogs.

Edited by florrie

Mumble, chocolate does contain caffeine not a great deal compared to coffee but it also contains high amount of a stimulant called theobromine which is similar to caffeine and apparently can actually kill dogs which is why it is removed from chocolate products for dogs.

Thanks Florrie - I knew about the theobromine, just not about the caffine. Oh well, I'm not planning to give up choccy any time soon so I'll just have to keep up the caffine intake too :lol::eat::eat1: