Sign in to follow this  
Carol

anyone heard of the scorg? Scottish

went into the school this morning for a meeting - was a bit late - but called & they did not have a record of it - went in anyway and caught the social worker as she was leaving - told her things were still pretty bad - was told to give her a call if I "needed someone to talk to"

Went into school to see how my lad was doing, the ed psy was in - but she had not written down the meeting (date decided at last meeting!!!) and was seeing someone else. Head of unit had not been told either - sorry mini rant over for that. They have decded that they want to wait nn see after he has been at this centre for a few more weeks - so they think another 3 weeks then try n get a meeting set up.

anyhoo - my lad was sitting in a room on his own - refusing to do any work, very miserable and chairs tipped over & tables moved. I asked how it was going & was told there was no real change - so I just said that I felt that the time had really come that it is obvious that the school are just not meeting his needs.

my lad said that since he has been going to this centre on Fridays it has made school a bit more bearable - but only just :(. we are having more problems at home with attempts to suppress to try at school and releasing it at home. - I really don't want to send him back at the moment as it is just too hard for him :(:(

Anyhoo - has anyone in Scotland heard of the Scorg? - I think that is what it is - apparently it is some sort of board that meets and discusses what needs my lad has & will decide on how they would best be met - I just wonder if there is anyone that has gone through this process- is there anything I need to know etc

TIA

Carol

Hi Carol,

I haven't heard of scorg but am interested to know about it! Will have to ask around.

I have heard of the PAG (Professional Assessment Group) where a group of professionals from Health and education departments and a few others (parents maybe?) meet in February to assess all of the applications for Special Schools and Language Units and decide where would best meet the individual childs needs. Taking into account all of the reports from anyone involved with the child and the parents views and choices.

I am myself waiting to hear where my son will go after the summer.

I hope that helps but if you hear anything else i'd be keen to hear about it.

I'm really sorry to hear your boy is having it so tough. It is so heartbreaking isn't it. It makes me so mad to think that our kids suffer needlessley.

Keep us posted and i wish you all the luck in the world, and loads of these to your son >:D<<'> and to you too. :wub:

Take care,

Kirstie.

Thanks Kirstie :)

the way it was explained to me is that it is a committee that meets monthly (next one in Feb) and will review placements. The ed psy writes a report & submits it - but is not allowed to make recommendations as to which placement would be suitable - the committee will decide.

I said about concerns of my lad being a recluse already & that home tutoring would be a disaster and he has repeatedly turned down my offers of me home teaching him. -the ed psy has said that no it will be all about all his requirements and will take into account all aspects ie his aspergers, his challenging aggressive behaviour and his intelligence level - ie if there was a place that could help in the first 2 areas but not the last it would be deemed unsuitable and they would have to either find a resource or create the resource that is suitable for him and his complex needs.

It sounds like a dream come true - but the problem is that it could take a very long time for the resource to be made ( if that is the road they wanted to take) - the other good thing is that I still have a say at the end of the day & no matter what they come up with - we will have to final word on it.

What I am wondering is A) how effective is this committee B) how knowledgeable C) what happens if what they come up with is ( in my eyes) not suitable - what recourse do we have what are the alternatives etc D) how long the process will take

At the end of the day I am hoping that it will mean that they will give him a placement in an autistic specific school - but the only one near is is about an hours drive away - so more problems there too. - but I have been told that it is a fantastic place and parents who have their kids in there have never looked back & their kids have thrived.

argh!! - oh for a crystal ball lol

thanks for listening ( if you got this far lol)

Carol

Hi carol

i am also in scotland and have not heard of scorg, but ISEA have new funding and are up and running now there no is 0131 454 0096 I think they might be able to help!

Maybe scorg are part of the new additional support for education act ?who knows

if you find out any more would you let us know

cheers take care

tess

Anyhoo - has anyone heard of the Scorg?

Carol,

Sorry, I too haven't heard of Scorg ;) , but I have heard of SCROOGE, which is an understatement where my LEA is concerned :lol::lol:

well it may be the scourge - but I really hope not :lol: - and yeah scrooge is a bit too apt isn't it :lol:

no doubt I will find out more as the situation unfolds - I will keep you all posted. My ed psy usually keeps me on track - she is the one that finally helped me get his dx when I was bashing my head off a wall and she is very upfront with me & the head of the autistic base is very fond of Andrew and does want what is best for him - I just have doubts that he is getting it at the local high school.

oh Tess - what is the ISEA? I am being all optimistic thinking that if it is for helping that with it being an Edinburgh number it will cover Edinburgh & Lothians?

Carol

Carol ISEA covers all of scotland and is an

Independant special education advice service.They have lots of expert knowledge and will help parents at meetings ect, they rely on a bank of volunteers who are very knowledgable.Also with the new additional support bill, they will eventualy support parents through the tribunal system.

I hope this makes sense

tess