Sign in to follow this  
asereht

School

HI all,

Just wanted to share a bit of good news.

I had a parent/teacher meeting yesterdayand it went very well.

Most of the teachers seem to be aware that we are in the early processes of getting a diagnoses of Aspergers and that my son has dyspraxia.

His English teacher has said he can do his written homework assignments on the PC (until we get something put in place for school like a laptop, which the school will supply when we get written dx) and the PE teacher has excused him from PE because of his difficulties with motor skills,as he has PE first thing on Monday morning he will probably stay at home until after PE. B)

All of his teachers were very supportive and said they will be keeping a discreet eye on him to make sure he is doing well emotionly as he is doing well in his schoolwork.

Edited by asereht

Good news certainly. B) We have had the same response from Joe's nursery where they have just been wonderful and nothing is too much trouble.

Hope all continues to go well for you all.

Love Joe's gran.

Edited by Joe's gran

Hi asereht,

I'm pleased that things are beginning to work out for your son :thumbs:

the PE teacher has excused him from PE because of his difficulties with motor skills,as he has PE first thing on Monday morning he will probably stay at home until after PE.

I'd be prepared to question this. Why should your son have to stay at home? If a teacher is prepared to let a child be disapplied (withdrawn) from a lesson, then it is the school's duty to make alternative arrangements for the child.

An alternative measure could be for your son to participate in the general SEN class (mixed ability/mixed age group) which is ususally administered by either the Senco or a SEN support teacher. He could do some work that is related to any area of concern on his IEP, he could even do some homework in this time rather than having to do it at home.

;) On the other hand perhaps your son would rather stay at home? I know mine would :lol::rolleyes: ... but that isn't the point is it? The school ought to be informing you of how it intends to educate your son during the disapplied time.

Hi Helen,

Sorry should have said they did offer him the study hall.

My son is doing very well in school with general studies,classes are graded and he is in the top one, so we thought he may get bored as PE is over two 40 minute classes.( when he gets bored he gets giddy and frustrated)

He wouldn't want to be with a strange group of kids in another class.

Also my son did not want to be asked a lot of questions by fellow classmates about why he was in the study hall, so the school councellor gave us a choice. next year if timetables change he may have to stay in during PE

wink.gif On the other hand perhaps your son would rather stay at home? I know mine would laughing.gif rolleyes.gif ... but that isn't the point is it? The school ought to be informing you of how it intends to educate your son during the disapplied time.

Well, it's gym, so it's only fair that he gets something that isn't any harder for him than gym is for the average other kid... then again that would defeat the purpose of him not having gym, wouldn't it (except for themaking-a-foll-of-himself-in-front-of-everyone-else factor)! :lol: But... everyone should have the same amount of education, but they should all have sufficient education as well! Hey wait, I'm turning this into an off-topic debate. :lol: