Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Fingerprint recognition

I've just got my new 'puter - it's very swish, though everything seems (compared to my old puter) to be in the wrong place so I keep hitting the wrong keys. Anyway - this computer has fingerprint recognition to get into the puter, into my email, onto this site - anything password protected. I've set up two of my fingers and I'll set up some more from each hand in case I accidentally chop my hand off or burn my fingers, but I was wondering if anyone had used this and knew a)how secure and b)how reliable this is? I guess I have to get used to it, but I'm already annoyed by it because it will 'fail' my fingerscan or tell me I've scanned too fast . . .

Yeah my husband got one a few weeks ago.

Apparently security wise they are supposed to be far more advanced than passwords. We haven't had any problems with the reliability.

I love it, bit of a novelty still :)

I'm obviously getting better at scanning my finger!!! Have to keep logging off and on just cause it's fun!!!

Two scans on my finger and I can turn the computer on and get into this site - I needed things to deter me, not make it easier!!! :lol:

ooohhhh, bit iffy that...

I saw in a fillum once where they used retina recognition on a door entry system, so the baddies moidered one of the staff and put his eyeball on a pencil and held it up to the camera.

If anyone wants to crib from your homework they'll have to chop your hand off!

Oh BTW: did you know that a Koala Bears fingerprint is almost indistinguishable from a humans? I saw that on QI - so it just goes to show that telly IS edukashannell... Mind you, they didn't say which humans! I reckon it's Michael Winner - he's grey, slow and has a big nose!

L&P

BD...

Oh - PS: It's just occured to me that this new security system could be a bit big brotherish - everyone inputs there fingerprints and ID to their PC and the first time they log in it uploads the details to a government database! they couldn't get us one way (ID cards) so this was the backdoor route :)

L&P

BD (aka Captain Paranoia) :)

Ahh, BD - thanks, that was sooooooo helpful (there was a little box labelled 'sarcasm' in the bigger box with the puter and stuff - no idea what it is but I librally sprinked the powder on my sugar puffs :eat::wacko:). It's always good to know that when you have a little question or concern someone sensible will be along to answer it - thanks allie :)

I'm getting a little worried now about posting my other techi question as I assume BD will have some such helpful response and it's crying out for one really . . .

I saw in a fillum once where they used retina recognition on a door entry system, so the baddies moidered one of the staff and put his eyeball on a pencil and held it up to the camera.

They did that in Angels and Demons by Dan Brown as well.

Finger print recognition should be pretty safe unless you have an identical twin (or, apparently, a koala bear).

Finger print recognition should be pretty safe unless you have an identical twin (or, apparently, a koala bear).

As far as I'm aware I have neither of those. What is a little worrying is that apparently I only have 9 finger/thumb prints. My right little finger is 'printless' :huh: I have the option of substituting it with a toe print instead - I think I'll pass on that option. :sick:

Oh BTW: did you know that a Koala Bears fingerprint is almost indistinguishable from a humans?

Most of us are safe then, it's Frangipani and Eva who need to worry... :unsure::lol:

K x

Most of us are safe then, it's Frangipani and Eva who need to worry... :unsure::lol:

K x

Actually - I heard F stripped her fingerprints orf with battery acid after a Blag at one of the local banks... she realised after she'd forgot to put her gloves on and 'ad ter take desperate action...

Who said 'She forgot the stocking over the head too, but nobody noticed'??? Now that was just mean... shame on you :shame:;):devil:

Next big security thing will be DNA testing, wait and see... we'll all have to give a drop of blood every time we take money out of the bank or use our credit card... Hev'll be fainting all over the place! :devil:

L&P

BD :D

As far as I'm aware I have neither of those. What is a little worrying is that apparently I only have 9 finger/thumb prints. My right little finger is 'printless' :huh: I have the option of substituting it with a toe print instead - I think I'll pass on that option. :sick:

Do you have to use all your fingerprints or will just one do? I'm getting quite worried about biometrics as I have some scarring on some of my fingers & worry it might booger the machines up. However if I can choose which finger to use, should be no prob.

Do you have to use all your fingerprints or will just one do? I'm getting quite worried about biometrics as I have some scarring on some of my fingers & worry it might booger the machines up. However if I can choose which finger to use, should be no prob.

No you can choose - you only have to do one but if you chopped that finger off you would be stuck, so they say it's safer to register more. What I can't understand is the fact that you can register up to 21 fingers - do you know anyone with 21 fingers?

No you can choose - you only have to do one but if you chopped that finger off you would be stuck, so they say it's safer to register more. What I can't understand is the fact that you can register up to 21 fingers - do you know anyone with 21 fingers?

I'll ban all knives, axes etc from our house then :lol:

21 fingers? Hmmmm, seems a bit excessive.....

I've just got my new 'puter - it's very swish, though everything seems (compared to my old puter) to be in the wrong place so I keep hitting the wrong keys. Anyway - this computer has fingerprint recognition to get into the puter, into my email, onto this site - anything password protected. I've set up two of my fingers and I'll set up some more from each hand in case I accidentally chop my hand off or burn my fingers, but I was wondering if anyone had used this and knew a)how secure and b)how reliable this is? I guess I have to get used to it, but I'm already annoyed by it because it will 'fail' my fingerscan or tell me I've scanned too fast . . .

Ugh, you have a new IBM laptop right?

Mine has the fingerprint scanner too... and I hate it. I could never get it to reliably scan my fingerprints (and I tend to have quite clean, unmarked fingers!)

A few years ago we had thumbprint scanners installed on our computer room doors - which was a good idea in theory. But when you have a server down and can't get into to fix it because the scanner refuses to recognise you... well, you get the idea and can probably imagine the frustration.

Personally I think they're a gimmick, and certainly don't bother with mine.

Phil

flipper,

other brands are doing them now.

am was going to get the acer travelmate with finger recognition,but in the end didn't as wouldn't make much use of it,went for another travelmate instead [still with crystaleye camera though].

mumble,

if not have one already,go into poundland and to the computer section,they are selling laptop locks,which lock via the kensington lock socket on the laptop/notebook,more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_lock

they are really good to have even if just at home,or at coffee shops or somewhere else out,general thieves wouldn't get through the cable[which is locked around something solid] ,as they would have to have the right tools with them.

ooohhhh, bit iffy that...

If anyone wants to crib from your homework they'll have to chop your hand off!

Oh BTW: did you know that a Koala Bears fingerprint is almost indistinguishable from a humans? I saw that on QI - so it just goes to show that telly IS edukashannell... Mind you, they didn't say which humans! I reckon it's Michael Winner - he's grey, slow and has a big nose!

L&P

BD...

Oh - PS: It's just occured to me that this new security system could be a bit big brotherish - everyone inputs there fingerprints and ID to their PC and the first time they log in it uploads the details to a government database! they couldn't get us one way (ID cards) so this was the backdoor route :)

L&P

BD (aka Captain Paranoia) :)

that film was demolition man i love it :D