Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

schools blanket punishment policy

hi all, i picked son up from school today only to find that he has once again being sent to the headmasters office for his behaviour, once there he is made to apologise and explain the reasons for his behaviour, (which he cant) then made to sit on the floor, in solitary, outside his office for fifteen minutes of his break time, i explained to sons teacher that this is not the way forward as jon loves to be on his own in the quiet corridor, i was then told that this is a blanket policy for punishment for the whole school, regardless of childs condition, as they have to learn whats right or wrong. on occassion, when hes sent to the head, is (coincidently) the days where he refuses to eat and wets the bed, so he must be getting anxious or confused at what happened in school, so my question is, how can i tackle the schools blanket policy, because its not in the best interests for my son.

forgot to say, the head is a muppet so i'm sort of :wallbash:

i was then told that this is a blanket policy for punishment for the whole school, regardless of childs condition

(coincidently) the days where he refuses to eat and wets the bed, so he must be getting anxious or confused at what happened in school,

This is abuse and should be stopped now! Did the head have this policy carved in stone?

Children are all individuals, something that works for one will definitely not work for all, what kind of an a_s!! is the head. Find out who you can approach about this. Hopefully someone here will have the answer.

But this is definitely not the way to teach your child right from wrong.

i explained to sons teacher that this is not the way forward as jon loves to be on his own in the quiet corridor, i was then told that this is a blanket policy for punishment for the whole school, regardless of childs condition, as they have to learn whats right or wrong.

B's primary school used to do this before his dx. They figured out that it wasn't working when he sang happily to himself, helped open the doors for those passing, sat quietly fiddling with his tie for hours...and learnt nothing from the experience as whatever had caused to problem still existed.

It is impossible to bore B. He can find something interesting, joyful or noteworthy in any situation.

For the head and class teacher, both excellent people, it was one of the indicators of possible ASD that they picked up on.

His secondary school came to realise that excluding him for inappropriate behaviour was pointless. It gave him the message that his punishment was to be a day or two off school in the company of his loving grandparents who adore him and welcome his company. He could read, be helpful around the house and need not deal with other children.

They listened very well when I told them that if he made the connection, they would have a happy and content school-refuser on their hands. And he would be of their own creation.

He still has the occasional meltdown, but it is very well-handled by the school and all involved with him. I'm one of the very fortunate, and I'm aware of that.

We've managed September in Y8 with no ripples AT ALL!

So when people get it right, everyone benefits.

They need to be careful, after some very recent IPSEA training I know that a blanket policy is discrimintion, they have to prove they are are making reasonable adjustments for disabilities.

I would write a very nice letter to the school explaining why the policy isnt working for your child. If this does not bring about a rethink I would seriously think about asking the school governros to look at their behaviour policy in the light of the DDA.

Could someone from the asd support team which goes into school advice?

They need to be careful, after some very recent IPSEA training I know that a blanket policy is discrimintion, they have to prove they are are making reasonable adjustments for disabilities.

That is exactly what I was thinking.If the school are not making reasonable adjustments which take into account the impact of disability it sounds like discrimination to me.Karen.

thanks for your replies, i think a letter to the school is warrented, i have no idea who the asd support member is who visits the school, is there such a person :unsure:

hi all, i picked son up from school today only to find that he has once again being sent to the headmasters office for his behaviour, once there he is made to apologise and explain the reasons for his behaviour, (which he cant) then made to sit on the floor, in solitary, outside his office for fifteen minutes of his break time, i explained to sons teacher that this is not the way forward as jon loves to be on his own in the quiet corridor, i was then told that this is a blanket policy for punishment for the whole school, regardless of childs condition, as they have to learn whats right or wrong. on occassion, when hes sent to the head, is (coincidently) the days where he refuses to eat and wets the bed, so he must be getting anxious or confused at what happened in school, so my question is, how can i tackle the schools blanket policy, because its not in the best interests for my son.

forgot to say, the head is a muppet so i'm sort of :wallbash:

You could ask for an IBP - this is like an IEP for Behaviour. It should detail specific behaviours to your son that are related to his Special Need, and set strategies and (where appropriate) targets to achieve. It will make them *think* about what they're doing, which they clearly aren't at the moment.

Not only Heads are muppets. I once had to deal with an idiot inspector who wondered why they didn't play together very much .....

its just a endless list of undertrained uncareing ignorant professional,s :wallbash: The only teachers, doctors who really understand autism are the ones who are interested and have learn,t in depth about the spectrum.

Hi Phoenix,

Are the children made to sit on the floor? This alone seems quite wrong to me regardless of any recognised needs.As for this being done in break time is he allowed access to the toilet in this time? I think i would write them a letter asking for details on this blanket policy and ask them to give you it within a specified time, if they do this you can look into things further if they dont.......... maybe they know they should not be doing it!!!!!!!!!!

Nicola

Ask the school who is coming into school from the learning support/asd team. if they say no one ask why? It really is basic common sense that they need input regarding his needs - this thread proves it!