643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hi Everyone

Erm not sure how much to say but found this site from a book I bought to help me understand my son (24 years) a bit more. He's just finished his masters degree and has started a new job but the same problems of spending a lot of time on his own in his room, lack of friendships at work and socially etc etc.

I want to learn from others how to help him, hence my reason for joining the forum.

Hi there

I am glad i have found this site. I have a 13 yr old boy with aspergers and adhd and an 11 yr old girl. I am a single parent and finding things very difficult.

There is a lot of things that i need advice and support with regarding my son but at the moment my main concern is education.

I will post seperatly.

xx

Hello Kinda & Rose123,

Welcome to this wonderful forum, I am so pelased you found us.

Look forward to getting to know you both better.

Clare x x x

Hello Everyone

Just found this site. I am Faye, 24 with 2 little ones. My daughter is 4 and my son is 2. My son was diagnosed with ASD yesterday. Have been searching internet for information as I have never had any dealings with this before. I am still in shock a bit and feel a bit lost if that makes sense.

Just wanted to say hello x x

Hiya Faye and welcome to the forum. :)

Lots of people here will identify with the lost feeling you describe after diagnosis. There's so much to take in and I'm sure there are loads of questions you want to ask.

Take your time and browse some of the topics on the forum (there's a helpful "jargon buster" at the top of the page on the right). You'll get lots of support here and if you need specific information, please don't hesitate to ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

Look forward to getting to know you,

K x

Just a quick introduction

I am a single mum, who is also disabled but don't dwell on it hypermobility syndrome. I have twins, one boy with probable higher functioning autism, and one girl. After years of struggling with the education system and their lack of knowledge and understanding of children with complex needs......well my theory is the do understand just don't want 'them' pulling their ratings down...I have decided in to home educate my son for the foreseeable future!

Hi just introducing myself. I have a nine-year-old son with possible AS and a daughter (13) with a post-viral syndrome. I've recently taken them out of school to home educate. Looking forward to meeting you all and learning from you.

Hi Coolblue,

Welcome to the forum :)

Look forward to chatting to you. There's quite a few parents here that also home ed.

Annie

xx

Hello,

Thought I would introduce myself. I have two children: Joe (6) who was recently diagnosed HFA/Asperger's and Rebecca 21 months. We've known Joe had autistic tendencies from about 3 (and much earlier than that if we're to be honest), but his lack of social communication and interaction and poor play skills became very obvious when he entered preschool.

After many, many appointments (paed's, communication team, CAMHS, ed psych., etc.) and much pushing on our behalf, we finally managed to get him diagnosed and make school listen, and eventually get him statemented (after being told there was no way he'd get a statement -but that's a very long saga). Just before Christmas we found that he'd been statemented for 16 hours which is WAY more than we were expecting, so we're now very happy on the education side of things. The headteacher is on our side and he now has excellent class teachers and a great teaching assistant so is flourishing in school. I can't believe that this time last year we were in the depths of despair and about to take him out of maistream education and consider home ed. I know we're on a very long road of discovery and we have many ups and downs, but I try to stay positive and expect that nothing is going to happen without a fight.

Looking forward to meeting you all on here,

Sue

Just a quick introduction

I am a single mum, who is also disabled but don't dwell on it hypermobility syndrome. I have twins, one boy with probable higher functioning autism, and one girl. After years of struggling with the education system and their lack of knowledge and understanding of children with complex needs......well my theory is the do understand just don't want 'them' pulling their ratings down...I have decided in to home educate my son for the foreseeable future!

Hi Just wanted to welcome everyone new here!!! >:D<<'> this site, you will find, is wonderful and everyone are so friendly! in particular wanted to say hi to you Justamum (hey you aren't 'just' a mum lol, best but hardest job in the world and don't you forget it ;) ) I wanted to say that I also suffer with hypermobility too! it can be awful can't it? Mine is managed fairly well with diclofenac.

anyway look forward to getting to know you all! I am mum to three kids, my middle child who is 7 1/2 has asperger syndrome diagnosed at 5 and adhd dieagnosed at 6 1/2.

Hi all,

I'm Tracy, I'm a married and working mum of 4, Daniel 15, Callum 10, Charlotte 7 and Alex 2. Callum is our 'special' child (or the weird one, read as you will!!). We've been in the system since his birth as he was diagnosed ante-natally with ventriculomegaly (enlarged ventricles in the brain) but we've recently hit a brick wall with getting a formal diagnosis of HFA / Aspergers. :wallbash: (he's doing well in school and we're 'coping remarkably well')

I've been lurking for a long time, but have finally plucked up the courage to join in.

Hello my name is luke (16) years of age.. live with my mom and dad and my sister.. i was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3 and have now completly change and now very low in my self and have no self confidence and was diagnosed with Aspurgus syndrome at 14.. nice to meet you all and hope to get to know you all.Thank you :rolleyes:

Edited to remove details re MSN address.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

This thread is now closed but will remain pinned and visible as there's a lot of history in its 47 pages - it's where some of us made our very first post.. :rolleyes:

From now on, if you're new, you get a whole thread to yourself to say hello :) (to start a thread, click on "new topic" button at top right hand side of board).

Kathryn

on behalf of moderating team