Where are you based?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Welcome to the site Jackie! There are a few of us here he found our way from the Delphi Forum.

One thing you can do is read as much as possible. The Tony Attwood guide to Aspergers Syndrome is available from Amazon and is as good a book as any for getting started. There are other ecommended processes on this site Any specific questions you may have will be readily answered here.

You may also wish to locate any support groups that exist locally to you as they are an invaluable source of information about what is available in your area. One thing you will have learned already is that most of the support has to be asked for, it's rarely volunteered.

Simon

Nelly

Thanks for the support! Your encylopaedic knowledge of all the Special Needs rules and regulations and willing support are part of the foundations of this site.

Lee, welcome to the site!

One sobering thought about all this is that one of the reasons that there are so few fathers here is that a significant proportion of fathers are no longer at home with their children, as many relationships don't survive the strain of children wirh special needs

Hopefully sites like this can help redress the balance by providing the advice and support needed to help families realise they are not alone and stay together in the face of all the pressures.

Simon

thanks very much!

I've just been reading through some of the previous postings and I'm even more pleased that simon sent me the link!

since looking into AS we now believe my father has it as well! but he wasn't too happy when we told him this! LOL

I've struggled to cope for the last 9 years how did you manage it till your son was 19?? some days I could kill him, the next minute I just want to hug him & hide him away to make life easier for him! he started secondary school last Sept & life has become a nightmare for him, he's a highly intelligent child (they're looking at him doing gcse's in sciences by the time he's 14) he has been trying to control his temper at the new school, so lets go when he gets home, so I feel so sorry for his little sister! he knows he's differant and says things like "I wish the other kids liked me, but they don't understand me"

hopefully now though we can see the light at the end of the tunnel

thanks Simon will get the book, in fact could do it now before the little darling comes home and starts being nosey!

I was just reading what Simon said about the stresses our children put on relationships and I have to agree completely! the stress of Josh although not the whole reason, made life too stressful for myself and his dad & we divorced 4 years ago, now his dad see's him for a few hours a week and one overnight stay a month, then he has to have a week when he doesn't see the kids so he can "have a break"!!!!!!

Thank you Simon

I have a need to help others.

My husband mentioned joining the site this morning, not sure if he was joking!!

He would make a very valuable contribution.

Sorry Simon I meant to say you were indispensable, not indispensible! If my husband joins the site I will have to watch my spelling and grammer. Oh, I hope I haven't said anything about him that he doesn't approve of!

Nellie

Jackie

Typical man!!

My husband works shifts so this made a big difference to us. We got some respite and time together when the children were at school, apart from the year when my son was out of school!

I take my hat of to single parents with children with ASD. I really don't know how you cope. Give yourselves a pat on the back from me, well done. The siblings deserve praise to, they have a lot to put up with.

Best wishes

Nellie

Hi, my name is Nici and my son, Ross (who is 4), was diagnosed with having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder in December '03. He is very able (high functioning I believe it is called). At the moment we are trying to sort out the big old schooling issue- maintstream with support, or special unit within mainstream, etc. Anyway, I have been looking for a site just like this for ages, thanks!

Hi Nici

Welcome to the site, I'm glad you found us. It is a brilliant site, we have the hosts Elefan and Kris to thank for that.

I hope you find the support and advice you are looking for. There is a lot of advice posted by many people on the site, including a resource section. If you need to know anything just ask, hopefully someone will be able to help.

Best Wishes

Nellie.

Thank you Nellie. I'm a bit new to this - trying to work my way around the site - but I think it will be really helpful to me and my family. It's good to get opinions/feedback and stuff from people who know and understand what we are going through.

Thanks

Nici

Nici

Don't give on the site, it is very user friendly. You should become familiar with it quite quickly.

Good luck!

Nellie

:o:lol: Blimey!!!!! Turn my back on the site for a day and return to lots of chat and new members!! Welcome to everyone who has found us! And thank you, for the kind words said about the forum. B)

Glad we are getting more mothers, fathers, friends, and relatives!! Quite a little community now!!

Kaz,....I am currently thinking of my next poll/question, but debating whether it would be too controversial or not!!!! Watch this space!!

Kris,...Helen says her husband is going to crash the site!! You're capable of doing that on your own, bud, eh!!? LOL Heh heh heh,...

Nellie,...Simon is indeed quite a hero on this board,...and you quite a heroin! Just take the compliment woman!

Incidentally,...does anyone know anything about vaccine damaged dwarf rabbits!!? Yup,...we have one!! Vet says unfortunate reaction to vaccination! And I thought I only had to worry about my children!!

Love

Elefan

xx

PS The rabbit will get better apparently! And for anyone still bothered to be reading this post, his name is Robbie,..Robbie rabbit,..but he doesn't sing!! ;)

don't know about other single parents, but I cope with Red wine and too many cigerattes! LOL

I think the siblings get a harder time than parents at times, Porr Ellie tends to be his punch bag! have thought about getting him a real one for his bedroom, but a family member thought he would just hone his skills on it! :(

Uh oh, it looks like Elefan has lost the plot completely now!! :blink:

Just quick note to say hello all the recent newcomers to the forum. You are all very welcome.

also... a huuuuuuuge thankyou to all of our existing members who posts keep the site going.

Elefan will keep us all updated on the rabbit and I'll keep crashing the site, as long as you lot keep posting :D

Kris

Hello everyone,

I am spottedpelican, My husband and I live in Australia and have 3 children. Our 2nd child is our 'challenging' one. We have had many, many years of attending our local paediatrician and councellor, going to the school regularly begging the school not to suspend our child and attempting to meet his needs.

I have spent the last few weeks reading your stories and we attended an Autism Advocacy seminar recently which has us firmly believeing we have found an answer. We believe our precious little angel has Aspergers. We are on a waiting list for a formal diagnosis which could take 4-6 months.

Every story we read sounds so familiar.

Look forward to being able to speak with you all.

Kind regards,

Spottedpelican

Hello spottedpelican and welcome :)

This site is a brilliant source of information - I'm sure you'll find something within it's many topics, that will be of use or of some interest to you.

Helen.

Hi to everyone thats joined since i last posted :D

and Elefan i hope Robbie the unwell rabbit gets better soon......... you never know the side effects might be that he starts singing like the real robbie :P you could make millions lol.

But Elefan and Kris i don't think we can say ty enough for what this site means to most of us, to me its a place i turn to when i need help, some where to vent my anger and outrage. But it is also some where i feel i can talk to others who do not judge me or my son, and we have all been places where our children have done things that other so called parents of so called normal children do judge us :(

Nellie and Helen because of you i know know so much more about the rights and wrongs of what the LEA should and should not do, and have now gone from just accepting what the school and LEA say to quoting codes of pratice ;)

You all give me a strength that i never knew i had in me.

So ty everyone that posts in here.

On that note i am off to bed to try and get an other hours sleep before the kids wake up

Love Karen xx

Nellie and Helen because of you i know know so much more about the rights and wrongs of what the LEA should and should not do, and have now gone from just accepting what the school and LEA say to quoting codes of pratice 

Me too!!! :lol: Thanks everyone!

As for Robbie,..poor bunny is still delicate and tomorrow he gets his,...um,...'bits',..attended to, too!! Never rains but it pours!! Bless him!!

Elefan

xx

PS Welcome to everyone else who has found us!!

Kaz and Elefan,

Thanks so much for your kind words, it's much appreciated.

There have been times when I've been DESPERATE for help and advice and only too glad to have one link or helpline to pursue.

I have learnt so much from you all - I continue to learn every day...

Helen x

Hello Krism & Everyone else in the Forum, I already posted a couple of messages before I discovered this Introduction post.

My name is Mike I'm married to Margaret(who doesn't come near the computer), and we have a 9 year old boy who has Asperger's.

We come from Glenrothes in Fife and found this site via a link on a local ASD and Autism site.

I like very much what I've seen so far. It is great to be able to exchange views, advice and concerns with people who know exactly how we feel.

David has been diagnosed for almost 5 years now and it is as devastating now as it was at the time. He is in mainstream school, who could do better, although his last two teachers that taught him for 2 years each were probably the most clued up in the school.

I'm beginning to wonder why we did it, but we are trying david on a Gluten Free diet just now. I wouldn't want to put anyone off doing one so I won't go into details here. I'll save it for an appropriate post.

Anyway , that's enough for now. I look forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas with all of you in the days and weeks to come.

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

We're glad you are already finding the forum a useful resource and wish you the very best as you trawl your way through the many hundreds of posts and thousands of replies :)

The search facility should also prove invaluable in finding stuff that you want.

Happy posting, any problems using the forum then just let myself (Kris) or Elefan know.

Take care,

Kris

Welcome Mike,

I'm glad you found us. Thank you for the introduction. I am Scottish too, from Paisley, have been in the south of England for 18 years. I look forward to your postings.

My husband would be very envious of you - a wife who doesn't go near the computer!! Bliss!! I think it is divorce or a laptop. I think a laptop might be the cheaper option.

Best Wishes

Nellie.

Hi Kris, Nellie and Trace, Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to many good chats with you all. That's it I'm afraid. Have to dash off to work.

Mike

Hi all,

I have added a quick poll to the top of this topic. I'd be grateful if you could take a few seconds to complete it so that we can get an overview of where our registered users come from.

Many thanx,

Kris

Hi,

I am 25, am originally from Switzerland and have lived in the UK for almost 5 years now.

I was diagnosed with suspected AS and "attentional dysfunction" in December last year after an evaluation for ADHD and had the diagnosis of AS confirmed earlier this year.

Noetic

Welcome to the site Noetic,

My son is 25 diagnosed with ASD and my husband 52 has recently been diagnosed with AS.

Nellie.

Welcome Noetic

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Are you the same Noetic that posts to the Oasis message board on Delphi?

Simon

hi im lynn and i live on the north east coast of england and i am mother of 4 boys kieran being 17 and on the autistic spectrum, awaiting confirmation of diagnosis most possible aspergers syndrome.

one more than me trace , girls or boys? mine are all boys and dont i know it bless, no i wouldnt change them for the world, only kieran on a real bad day. lynn

hi lynn

mine are 3 boys [13,10 & 8] and 2 girls [14 & 6]

i know what you mean about not changing them for the world, they are all fantastic although hard work sometimes lol

Trace xx

Hi Lynn

Welcome to the site, I'm Nellie, my son wasn't diagnosed until he was 19. He's 25 now. Where do the years go?!!

Nellie.

nellie.kieran is 18 in may and has only just gone through assessment awaiting diagnossis any day,clinical psych was coming tomorrow but she s had to cancel so now waiting for her to rearrange another appointment for the final diagnosis

trace mine are 26, 22, 17 and 14 now.

HI all

I go away for a few day and loads of people join!!!! :D:lol:

so a big group hi from me and mine....... Daniel is 12 nearly 13 and the other two are 11 going on 30!!! and 9 going on a little devil!!!! both girls!!

looking forward to reading more posts :))

Karen x

Hello new members,

welcome to a great site!

I'm spottedpelican, I am in Australia, I have 3 children - 14 (boy), 9 (boy[ASD])and 5 (girl).

Look forward to your conversations.

kind regards.

spottedpelican :D

:lol: hi i'm niki and i have a 6 year old son with as add and ocd and we are curremtly going through stat assess and hoping to lead on to statementing.