Dummie

Can we start a list of dairy & gluten free products?

Hello Everyone

We are just about to start A on a dairy and gluten free diet (and also soya free). We've been told to search out the free from ranges at our local supermarkets which I will do when I'm next child free but I was thinking. Apart from the free from ranges, are there less obvious regular food items that are suitable but not labeled free from?

For example baked beans and tinned tomatoes (sorry, don't know if these are FF but I'm just trying to give an example of what I mean)

I was just thinking that those of you who are futher on on your journey on implementing this diet must have a list of everyday items that you know are safe. A list that would be extremely useful to those (like me) who are just starting this journey.

Just posting to see whether it would be possible to share.

Dummie

Hi dummie :)

There is absolutely tons of stuff on GF/DF scattered around this area of the boards from members past and present. You're probably better off going through that back catalogue because products will have changed (certainly variety/availability has changed massively in the three years I've been here) over time and info may or may not be up to date...

As far as things like beans/tomatoes etc. It varies from brand to brand, so you need to find one that fits the bill and stick to it. Ditto cereals, sauces etc.

As well as the 'freefrom' branded stuff which is (fairly) clearly labelled supermarkets also produce lists of their own general products which are gluten free or dairy free. You need to contact their customer support at their head office and request copies.

Some can combine lists so you get a GF/DF list ready made, while others do seperate lists which you then have to cross reference. The latter is a pain in the butt, but once done you've got a reference that lasts a year or more, and you only need to check if the words 'New recipe' or some such appear on one of your staples.

Generally, it is much easier now because labelling has improved hugely, and the FF brands are growing week by week. It's a daunting task when you first start, but after a few months you know 90% of the stuff that is okay, and then you only need to worry about the odd 10% rather than the whole shop.

Hope that helps

L&P

BD :D

Also, any freshly cooked veg, meat, fish, potatoes, rice, pulses, lentils and beans are naturally dairy and gluten free. Can't beat a home made stew (without the dumplings!!!) -but my kids won't eat stew :wallbash: . Or a traditional roast (without the yorkshire puds :tearful: ) If you look on the coeliacs website, you'll get loads of info about other grains that can be used. There are some good books that are available with recipes. Polenta (not the solid lump type!) is a good substitute for breadcrumbs to coat fresh fish.

There is actually loads of stuff that can be used - just unfortunately it's the stuff that kids don't generally like to eat!!

Can't beat a home made stew (without the dumplings!!!) -but my kids won't eat stew :wallbash: . Or a traditional roast (without the yorkshire puds :tearful: )

dumplings - Tesco's o/b vegetable suet used to be OK... My local branch has stopped stocking it, so I don't know if it still is, but worth a looksee if your branch does...

Yorkshires: Doves farm flour and rice milk works OK :)

Polenta breadcrumbs - yeuch! :lol::lol:

Sainsbury's now do packets of breadcrumbs in their range, but i hav also toasted/blitzed ben's bread with reasonable results.

:)

Thank you everyone. Feeling somewhat reassured about this daunting task ahead of us after reading your posts.

It feels like everything A will willingly eat is not allowd now and trying to get a 'I won't eat it unless I recognise it' toddler to try new things is :wallbash:

Tomorrow will be spent at the supermarket reading food labels. I'll probably spend sooooo long lurking that security will be alerted!

Hi Dummie,

Up until my daughter was around 5 - she was put on a dairy free diet by the Paed - the dietician there gave us a very long list of everyday products that you could buy that were dairy free - unfortunately she's 14 now and I can't remember any other than Fry's Chocolate - it was either the peppermint or ordinary cream - only because she couldn't eat ordinary bars of chocolate it was nice to know one that you could buy 'normally' if you know what I mean.

I'm sure I've seen a few posts where the children are on a soya product diet because of lactose or casein allergy - they may have a more up to date list.......

Take care,

Jb

oops - must have had too much wine - that post came out twice.........i'm removing the other one now.....

Jb

Edited by jb1964

My son has been told he is gluten intolerant and his ASD consultant is very up on the various diets etc so she referred him to the dietitian who has sent a letter to the dr so now he gets certain gluten free products on prescription... which in itself saves me a heck of a lot of money... thank goodness as that is a very big chunk of worry gone for starters..

She told me to sign up with the coeliacs society and I could have got it for free but I chose to pay the �10 for the food and drink directory which tells me all the acceptable foods that are gluten free from many of the top supermarkets.. You do have to go online to their site to check for updates as certain products change.. It doesn't take away from the checking the labels but it certainly helps...

If you write to all the GF suppliers out there you can get samples of their GF products... The dietitian told us all of this and some of the boxes of freebies have contained at least �10 worth of products so that in itself is a saving lol

Will say Morrisons are now doing a great unspicy gluten free sausage.. which if they are never found on the shelves you can special order them in... they are Debbie & Andrews nana's favourite recipe Harrogate sausages.. I looked on the label and did spot that it uses vinegar so I queried this with Debbie&Andrew and was told yes they used to contain vinegar made from barley but now they use balsamic vinegar which is ok...

Very confusing it all is... But we have found a great chippy which the 1st tuesday of the month has a gluten free night and the portions are massive and totally yummy... My son loves it....

Good luck....

Sorry its a bit late, just joined the forum and B has food allergies (milk included) so I do a lot of investigating in this field. One of the best things to do when you're starting out is to contact the big Supermarkets, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc, who will be able to send you a list of all the products they do that they guarantee do NOT contain certain allergens. The only trouble is, the didn't used to be able to merge them so you have to cross reference if you're avoiding more than one food. Often, the customer service desks in the local stores keep copies they could give you. It will certainly be a way of getting familiar with the products you can have, but check the labels, it not infallable. Good luck.

I'm not sure if Lactose free cheese is much good if it still has casein in it - but flicking through a leaflet distributed by a certain supermarket L**l, that I never actually go into, I noticed that from the 15th December, they will be stocking Lactose free Emmantal and Bergkase Austrian cheese *with cutting tray and lid* for �1.99. If anyone does try it, please let us know what it smells and tastes like! So far the dairy free cheese I've tried had a very artificial smell, texture wasn't good and didn't taste good either.