Sign in to follow this  
Sallya

mp3 players

If you're using a 'normal' PC (i.e. not a mac - sorry don't know anything about them), you plug it straight in the USB 'hole' on the 'puter, then using Windows Media Player (click on the 'sync' tab) just drag stuff from your library that you want on there.

Sorry - that's an awful explanation!!!!! :lol:

i dont understannd

Ok, I'll try again. Three questions first:

1. Have you already put the music on your computer (i.e. have you ripped it from CDs)?
  2. Do you have Windows Media Player
  3. Is your MP3 player 'plug and play'?

OK, sorry. Have you actually got an MP3 player, or are you thinking of getting one?

If you are going to get one, just ask at the shop to make sure it's 'plug and play' (they're the easiest - it means you just plug it into your computer and it works without hassle :)), and then we can work from there.

Do you have music on CDs you want on it, or do you want to download music off the internet (that I'm not so good at)?

Oooh sorry - no idea about ones that do video. Mine's just audio.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (Baddad?) will be along to help soon. :)

Tis not just you Sallya, that went woosh over my head too! :lol: I leave the techie stuff to mr p who is permanently attached to his mp3 .....

its so funny

how we dont taaaaalk anymore ..... :lol:

I put music on mine like a memory stick.

I plug it into a USB port and copy items using My Computer.

Do you already have music on your computer, or do you need help with that too?

Bribe or kidnap a teenager.

There's lots hanging around your local supermarket, and if you're fast they won't be missed.

Seriously, having one of my own is the only way I can manage all sorts of stuff. Supported learning we call it in the biz.

ok it comes with a usb connection so plug that into the MP3 and your computer turn on the mp3 palyer and your computer should then recognise it and install it, open up "my computer" and you should see it there as an external device.

next find where your music is on your computer, lets say its in your music file for instance, open up that file and look for the tracks you want to put on the mp3. then right click over the file and go to "send to" you will then see a list of places you can send it to, identify the MP3 player and send to there, it will then transfer the music to the MP3 player ready for use.

Tis not just you Sallya, that went woosh over my head too! :lol: I leave the techie stuff to mr p who is permanently attached to his mp3 .....

its so funny

how we dont taaaaalk anymore ..... :lol:

Spare a thought for me.....by Tues all 3 males in our house will have one.....we may never speak again. :lol::lol::lol:

You have my sympathy Karen. They kill spontaneous conversation. Every time I try to speak to mr p, he pulls his earphones out, takes several seconds to switch the machine off so he doesnt miss a moment of what he's listening to, by which time Ive forgotten what I was going to say! :lol:

Most MP3 players (not things like IPods) are memory sticks with a little bit of extra circuitry to make the recorded music audible. So if you plug them into a USB port in a computer, they should appear as a new drive you can store things on.

MP3 players usually play two formats. MP3 which is a generic music format, and WMA which is a Windows-only format. There are two ways you can obtain music in these formats.

1) Download them off the internet. Not easy if you are a rookie, and not legal

2) Rip them off CDs you currently own.

The easiest way in Windows is to use the Windows Media Player, which will create WMA type files for you (and in some Windows may copy them to your player automatically). If you have a CD burning program (Nero and Roxio are the two most common) this will rip as well, usually to MP3 format.

There are also various shareware and freeware programs.

These can then be copied on the MP3 player in the same way you would copy a file onto a memory stick.

Just to stick up for the humble Mac, just plug the MP3 player into a USB socket and it'll appear on the desktop just the same way it does under Windows (actually that's not true - the Mac won't need to install any drivers). Then just a case of dragging MP3 files onto the drive.

Depending on the player itself, it should accept video in the exact same way that it takes music - just drag it across from your hard drive onto the new drive that appears in Windows Explorer. Typically video needs to be in MPG format (files ending in .MPEG or .MPG).

As for a step by step guide:

The player should come with instructions and a CD. Follow them. If the player DOESN'T come with instructions/CD, try the following:

1. Use the cable that came with the player and plug one end into the player, and the other end into a USB socket on your PC/laptop (on the PC there may be sockets on the front, if not then there should definitely be some on the back)

2. Turn the player on

3. Windows should spot the player and try to install whatever it needs

4. When Windows has finished, the player will appear in Windows Explorer (open it by clicking the Start button, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Windows Explorer) (then open My Computer in the left hand panel of Windows Explorer)

5. You should have a new drive connected - this is the player

6. You can now drag music and videos onto the new drive - you've now copied things that can be played

If you're having trouble finding things to copy across, there are, as lots of other people have suggested, lots of programs out there that will do the job. My own personal favourite is CDex (do a search in Google - I would have provided a link but forum rules etc.)