Sign in to follow this  
pearl

Games console advice please ...

JP has finally decided to buy a games console with his christmas money. He's only ever played games on the pc keyboard & none of us has much idea which would be the best to go for.

I was thinking a Wii as you get exercise at the same time so good for wet days. Would he be able to play it through his little bedroom tv?

you can play one on anysize tv but you do need a bit of space in the room, we had one yesterday and we've found you tend to through yourself around a bit without even knowing it. I love the wii but it might be an idea to see if you can get to have a go on one before you buy it

have you thought of a ps2, they are older but the advantage of that is that there are loads of cheap games around to go with it.

We have quite a few game consoles in our home- the Wii is the best but it does need a lot of space and we had to move it from one of the kids bedrooms to the living room for the space.

PS2 and Gamecube are older but they are great fun and the main difference relates to the type of games avaialble on each. the gamecube is nintendo (wii makers) and they tend to have many games that appeals to younger players (mario/luigi and all that stuff)-- most other characters such as sonic the hedgehog are available on both. And yes because PS2 and gamecube are older now; you can find lot of good deals on games. If he is not into Mario then go for PS2 but if he likes it stick to gamecube as it is nintendo exclusive; it is also very cheap now- you can get a preowned with game pads for something like 30 quids.

Hope this is helpful.

Pragmatic

My boys have the Wii and the PS2 (as well as Nintendo DS's and C's new PSP), and I can honestly say, since the arrival of the Wii last Xmas, the PS2 has been abandoned.

You don't really need that much room, with a little practice you do learn to "contain yourself" - C actually does most of his standing or sitting on his bed.

Also, if you buy a Gamecube controller, you can play all the old Gamecube games on it, and you can buy these really cheaply in game stores in the pre-owned section. You can also go online on the Wii (if you're wireless) and buy points cards to download games. R downloaded Paper Mario a few weeks ago for the equivalent of �7.50, and we saw it today in the shops for nearly �30.

The boys are upstairs on the Wii just now, and the sweat is pouring off R while he plays Mario Olympics (he's running), so it is great exercise, depending on the game.

The only down-side is - it's not portable... that's where the DS and the PSP come in handy. But I'm sure JP's not the game-junky that C is.

The plus side of the PS2 is that it also doubles ad a DVD player.

My girl has a Wii and is delighted with it. She's had one since they first came out. Our only TV is a 14" portable, and the Wii works fine on that.

As for space, depends what you're playing, the sports package seems to take much more waving of arms etc.She plays most of the games sitting on the edge of the sofa with occasional standing up.

She's got Wii sports, Rayman's Raving Rabbids, Legend of Zelda and is currently working through Supermario Galaxy with extreme enjoyment. So I'm not watching The Old Curiosity Shop, 'coz she's got the TV.

Thanks all >:D<<'> :notworthy:

He's inclined towards a Wii at the mo, so we shall go shopping in the next few days.

You didnt miss much Bard, we've abandoned The Old Curiosity Shop as absolutely nothing was happening. Boyf now watching MOTD. Think we've been spoilt with Oliver Twist.

The boys are upstairs on the Wii just now, and the sweat is pouring off R while he plays Mario Olympics (he's running), so it is great exercise, depending on the game.

Oh the Mario Olympics are so funny. My dd (nt) has been running like crazy. You don't need to move your feet but she can't run with just the hand action so it looks soooooooooo funny. We have been in hysterics. And then theres the rowing and the hammer throwing. DS has loved the tennis and bowling. I highly recommend the Olympics.

Oh the Mario Olympics are so funny. My dd (nt) has been running like crazy. You don't need to move your feet but she can't run with just the hand action so it looks soooooooooo funny. We have been in hysterics. And then theres the rowing and the hammer throwing. DS has loved the tennis and bowling. I highly recommend the Olympics.

I know, C and R are the same. C's bedroom is directly above our sitting room and all we can hear is the rapid thumping of little feet as they run furiously on the spot. :lol:.

J declined the Wii too, and is chuffed with his XBOX 360, J has playstation 2 and he got an EYE TOY with his last christmas, so he has something similair to wii.

J has been on the Wii in gamestation, they have a boxed area all kitted out to have a go, so maybe go and have a try, personally I would say you do need a bit of space for the wii, J was all over the place, and objects around the house are advised to be removed, also if it where in Js room we would defo get evicted for the stomping around he would do, his eye toy is strictly living room only.

I think the Wii does look good but J didnt want one.

Gamestation rate Playstation 3 as the most popular but there mega bucks.

JsMum

Isn't there a problem with getting Wiis anywhere in the country at the moment,or have they got enough in now?

Am won't bother adding recommendation as it'll just be biased.

There was an old saying when buying a computer back in the 80s. Ignore the hardware and find the software you want. Then buy the appropriate hardware to run it.

Perhaps it would be an idea to find out what types of games are most appealing.

I was surprised to find Wii's in stock at some places when I checked online today. Been checking out what games you can play on them & there seem to be loads, & the fact that you are active playing them is v appealing, so think he'll probs go for it.

The daft thing is, grandma has been buying him games gift vouchers for the last couple of years, we've decided to go for a console cos there are so few pc games you can buy with them!

The main problem with the Wii is the lack of variety. Most are party type games or rely on gimics. That said there are a number of good games available for it. Zelda and Mario Galaxy been prime examples. It also can play gamecube games though your need either a 'cube controller or the classic one. Out of our consoles it is the one used least. The PS3 in my view is still expensive. It also is lacking in games. Ours gets used one game 'The Eye of Judgment' which is a trading card game. The console reads...

(Sorry PSP has a character limit) ... the cards and shows the battle on the TV. Not been able to get into the other games though will see more use when 'metal gear solid' & 'final fantasy' arrive. One thing to note is the latest versions have no backwards compatibility. Most time gets spent on our 360s. Any multiplatform releases are purchased for it. Like the Xbox it is best for first person shooters and racing games. Though the availability of other genres is now much better. 360 also boasts the best...

... online play though it costs �40 a year. Have often had a good laugh with some cyberspace friends. Even if they thought I was in my 30s or 40s. Each of the consoles comes with a composite video lead with a scart adaptor. Graphics wise the Wii is miles behind the other two but that is less noticable on a small CRT TV. At the end of the day it comes down to the type of games he is interested in. PS3 will probably end up best for RPGs. Wii for Party and likes of Zelda ane Mario. With 360 best for FPS.

Meant to say the handhelds are worth considering too. They have some really good games and it is nice to be able to play them where you want. The PSP is the more powerful versitile system but I'd say the DS has better games. Mainly end up using my PSP as a portable browser. The DS gets used for games. Again would recomend Zelda if you go that route. Another game I meant to mention is Guitar Hero. It's good fun even though I suck at it. Available on Wii, 360 & PS3 too.

Pearl hope that JP gets what David has said, but please do let us know what he decides in the end, I really want a DS and they can be linked to other DSs so good for competing against other family members, I like the brain games and the looking after pets, babies, aliens what ever, they all look fun.

Js favourate game at the moment is Call of the duty 4 and he has completed it already I think thats good for his age, but he is redoing it all again.

Good luck there is a lot out there, J has PSP, Gameboy, PS1, PS2, XBOX 360. DS on Wish list.

JsMum

See, I'm so ignorant I just had to Google DS! :lol: Its been good getting different ideas on here cos as a family we are COMPLETELY ignorant about anything other than pc games. Even at games club at 6th form JP says they just played on the pc's, not with consoles. And its not like he was ever invited round anyone's house to play :(

Think it probs will be the Wii, as he finds the idea of being active appealing. He's like a caged lion if the weather is bad & we cant go out.

Embarrased to say between me and my bro (24 & 22) we have far too many consoles. We weren't allowed them when we were very young then towards the end of the Mega Drives innings dad brought us one cheap. Then also got us the Mega CD and 32x add-ons. Have since added all the home consoles from Nintendo, Sega, Sony & Microsoft to that collection. Most are in the loft nowdays. Don't have much time to spend on them anymore. Had some good times on them though.

Pearl, we're just as ignorant as you. :lol: We've never had any games here, Jay has had no interest at all so we never wanted to waste our money. This year though, we decided we'd like to try and introduce a new interest for him, so had a look around to see what was available.

In the end we decided we'd get a second-hand Gameboy on Ebay, as we could get Finding Nemo and Spongebob games, the idea being that if it was fishy themed he might take to it. He has enjoyed it, on and off, but does get very frustrated. Even though the games say they are for 3+, because he's so inexperienced and hasn't got the coordination or much patience, he just can't do some of them, but at least it's something different for him to have a go at. DH seems to be becoming addicted though! :lol:

Good luck with your searching, we looked like this :blink: most of the time when we were doing our 'research'. :lol:

~ Mel ~

It may help to know that the Wii is especially popular with people who don't normally buy consoles.

Simon

Now THAT sounds encouraging! :thumbs:

Mel, I think thats whats worrying me - that we'll end up with something that just winds him up!

The Wii certainly has the widest appeal of all the consoles from the young to the old. I'd recommend getting at least one extra controller if you do go the Wii route. It can generate some good social time. Best way to do this is probably to pickup Wii Play. I've not really found any of the Nintendo games frustrating but some of the 3rd party ones can be. For example both me and Peter have given up on monkey ball. The other thing I'd consider is some points. There are various classics on the store.

Yes, I've noticed when I've looked online that most Wii packages only come with one controller. Yet the ads are all peeps playing together, which is a bit sneaky. Do you just ask to buy an extra controller?

The extra controllers are quite expensive, I think around �40 and they are difficult to get as they are in short supply in the shops atm. we bought ours from fleabay, it was second hand but only 2 months old and came with 3 games, 2 controllers and the charging station, it was �250 which seemed like a bargain

Mel, I think thats whats worrying me - that we'll end up with something that just winds him up!

I guess it all depends on how much staying power your lad has and how willing he is to practice with it. My lad is just not willing to persevere with things until he improves, if he can't do it straight away he gets frustrated and just gives up and doesn't give himself a chance to get better. His cousin bought his Wii over on Xmas day and three of them had a go at a sports game, but Jay was pretty hopeless. It took more coordination that he had and he was just swinging his arms wildly about with no consideration for people or objects that were nearby. :whistle: He had a go at a boxing game and kept going nearer and nearer to the telly screen, we had to keep dragging him back before he punched his way right into the game! :o After a few goes he was totally defeated and fed up with it, he knew he couldn't do it as well as the others. There's no way I'd spend all that money because I just know what he's like, the novelty would be a bit of fun for half a day and then he'd never touch it again. It just really depends on your child, I think, and how enthusiastic they are for it.

~ Mel ~

It may help to know that the Wii is especially popular with people who don't normally buy consoles.

Simon

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Wii is designed to combat child obesity by providing the facility to flex muscles other than those in the fingers.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Wii is designed to combat child obesity by providing the facility to flex muscles other than those in the fingers.

:lol: which is why we find it so appealing, JP being a fitness fanatic & me being an anything-which-uses-up-his-energy fanatic!

Thanks for the controller advice summertime. Mel, I'm thinking JP would prob do ok with the Wii. He's older for one thing, plus taekwondo has helped his co ordination tremendously. Definitely looking like a contender .... its his decision & his money tho, watch this space!

Tell them serious gamers have all the consoles. ;) The Wii still gets some games that are those targeted at traditional gamers. Zelda and Mario are examples of them. I'd want the new Nights game when it arrives too.

Okay list of things I would get if buying a Wii.

Wii (with Wii Sports) - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/826/826987.html - Game that come free with the Wii. Most fun with friends. Fairly easy controls.

Wii Play - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/853/853786.html - Some fun games and for the slight difference in price worth getting over a Wiimote. (May be hard to find.) Fairly easy controls.

Nunchuck (Additional one useful for some games such as Wario Ware.)

Classic Controller - That way you can access the back catalog of gamecube games. Anything made by Nintendo generally is good.

Zelda Twilight Princess - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/748/748589.html - A fun game but more challenging control wise. (Single Player)

Mario Galaxy - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/748/748588.html - Platformer. Bro seems to like it but control again requires more skill than some other games.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/826/826990.html - Party game. Probably the most highly rated of the various party titles.

Metroid Prime Corruption - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/748/748547.html - 1st Person Shooter Adventure. The Metroid never play quite like traditional shooters but tend to be fairly good fun based on past entries. Not played this entry but it is highly thought of.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/896/896694.html - Don't know about this personally but including it as I know others have recommended it. Very hard to track down in Durham as one of my friends does want to get a copy.

Heres one to keep an eye on too due to what you've said previously:

Wii Fit - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/949/949581.html - Not sure what this will be like. People who have tried it seem to like it though.

Mario Kart - http://uk.wii.ign.com/objects/949/949580.html - No European release date yet but past entries have been good.

Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers - http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3150502 - Follow up to one of the gamecubes better RPGs at least if you played it with friends.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Tell them serious gamers have all the consoles. ;) The Wii still gets some games that are those targeted at traditional gamers. Zelda and Mario are examples of them. I'd want the new Nights game when it arrives too.

I think more to the point is that they don't want "me" getting involved :tearful: ..... so I'll just leave 'em to their PS3 and online gamers, headsets and key pads :rolleyes:

Clare x x x