Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Big Files

How do I compress a file?

I'm probably missing something really really obvious, but I can't find anything on my new computer (I'm sure my old one had something called 'zip' :unsure:)

I need to email a word doc that has lots of graphics in it and at the moment it just crashes anything it gets near. HELP!!!!! :)

How do I compress a file?

I'm probably missing something really really obvious, but I can't find anything on my new computer (I'm sure my old one had something called 'zip' :unsure:)

I need to email a word doc that has lots of graphics in it and at the moment it just crashes anything it gets near. HELP!!!!! :)

You probably had a program called Winzip, but strictly speaking it's not free to use (though it carries on working after the trial period with a nag screen every time you start).

You could try 7zip ( http://www.7zipsoft.info/uk/ ) which is free to use and does the same thing.

Phil

You probably had a program called Winzip, but strictly speaking it's not free to use (though it carries on working after the trial period with a nag screen every time you start).

You could try 7zip ( http://www.7zipsoft.info/uk/ ) which is free to use and does the same thing.

Phil

Hmm, am I doing something wrong - this doesn't seem to be free - when you're a few steps int the installation it asks you to text codes to them three times at a cost of �6...

I'd rather not pay for something that might not do what I want.

OK, because I needed t get this done today, I've downloaded the trial of winzip.

But how do I actually use it? I have a word file in microsoft word (1997-2003) - how do I zip/compress it?

Try right clicking and choose add to zip. If that doesn't work open win zip and choose the file to add.

(Just going to check that works.)

Now going to find don't have WinZip installed and only have WinRar aren't I. :rolleyes:

EDIT: For WinRar its under commands add file to archive or I can right click and choose add to archive. I would stick to zip format though as that is the most widely used. I'll go and download winzip and check if its the same.

EDIT2: Argh!!! Agonisingly slow download. Not had a download go this slow for a long time.

EDIT3: 90% after 4mins. I'm sure I remember dial up been faster than this. ;)

Edited by David Matthew Baker

WinZip has finally downloaded. Once you have choosen evaluation it seems you have to choose new archive. Then you have to give it a name. After that it will automatically open a new window to add a new file. Hope that helps you Mumble. :)

Thanks David. I was clearly having a 'blonde moment' (that's impressive not being blonde!!!).

Someone wonderful has sorted it out for me :D

Hmm, am I doing something wrong - this doesn't seem to be free - when you're a few steps int the installation it asks you to text codes to them three times at a cost of �6...

I'd rather not pay for something that might not do what I want.

Sorry, Mumble, I gave you the wrong link - looks like they are being a bit naughty! 7Zip is supposed to be free...

Probably too late now, but the proper link is http://www.7-zip.org/

Phil

Thanks OK, thanks anyway Flipper.

With (a lot) of help I managed to zip it and send it - and then it wouldn't open at the other end :wallbash:

So now I've downloaded a pdf creator, turned it into a pdf and sent it - I wait to see if this has worked . . . BTW, on pdfs, is there any benefit to buying the full adobe thing? I have the downloadable reader and this creator thing (which just prints word docs to pdf files) - what other benefits would adobe give me - can I edit pdfs for instance with it?

Thanks OK, thanks anyway Flipper.

With (a lot) of help I managed to zip it and send it - and then it wouldn't open at the other end :wallbash:

So now I've downloaded a pdf creator, turned it into a pdf and sent it - I wait to see if this has worked . . . BTW, on pdfs, is there any benefit to buying the full adobe thing? I have the downloadable reader and this creator thing (which just prints word docs to pdf files) - what other benefits would adobe give me - can I edit pdfs for instance with it?

Sorry - just seen this one:

Windows XP comes with a zip creator in it (well, the versions I and Ben have did!)... If you highlight a file or folder in 'my documents' and then right click in the 'send to' dialogue box you get a 'compressed (zip) folder'... it's a one click operation, but doesn't give you any 'fine tuning' options...

The person at the other end couldn't unzip it because they didn't have the right unzip prog, probably... most of them work with each other, but you can occassionally run into incompatable formats.

PDF's - Don't know what PDF creator you've got, but it's probable that there are options for creating PDF's that can be edited (this info is 'embedded' in the saved file)...

Open Office (the freeware alternative to Microsoft office) allows PDF creation direct from the document, and can import/export word docs no probs, so you could do it all from one application...

Occassionally I've run into probs with formatting (drawing objects, - not had any probs with fonts/inserted graphic files) when saving back and forth, but they're rare... OO has just been upgraded too, so this may have been fixed in the latest version...

No doubt the full version of acrobat will give you more options/file compatabilty, but if they're features you'll never use what's the point? I'd wait a while and see if the stuff you've got covers your needs before spending any money..

L&P

BD :D

The person at the other end couldn't unzip it because they didn't have the right unzip prog, probably... most of them work with each other, but you can occassionally run into incompatable formats.

Yeah, on my old laptop I just did the right-click thing, but it ain't on this one. I'm sending it from a PC to an Apple - could that be the problem?

And from that point on you lost me . . . :whistle:

OO has just been upgraded too

00?? The only 00 I know is the guage on my trains . . . And the only upgrading they've had is to be hidden even further under my bed to avoid the auctioner for not being "girls' toys" . . . :wallbash: