Sign in to follow this  
hsmum

husband seeking diagnosis

Hello,

My husband is convinced that he has an ASD. I also think this is very likely. Now, he is seriously considering approaching his GP for an assessment. However, I have heard that it is quite difficult for adults to be diagnosed with ASDs and I fear a long strugggle for a diagnosis may affect my husband's (somewhat fragile) mental health. What should we do to make the assessment easier for us and for any professionals involved. Incidentally, hubby is the main carer for our Aspie son and his little brother.

Thanks

Given that your husband is the father of a son with Aspergers Syndrome then the GP should at least take him seriously. Getting a diagnosis for an adult can be difficult but not impossible. It can help if you know who your husband would need to see in your area. The National Autistic Society or local support group would probably be able to help you there.

Cat

My Husband initially saw his GP, but had to go private to find out he has ASPIE TRAITS!

I could have told him that and saved him a small fortune!

It's not really made any difference to him, but books and reference articles have!

Good Luck! :thumbs:

The Autism File is a good place to start, lots of Adult written articles and some advice on how to go about it! (WHSmiths stock the mag!)

Hi hsmum, and welcome to the forum.

I got diagnosed with AS last year after suspecting for several years. I'm afraid it is extremely difficult to get assessed for AS as an adult on the NHS.

I had to go private, and I had to travel. The nearest NHS psychologist qualified to diagnose ADULTS was based in Sussex (I live in Devon), but I found 3 private psychologists in my "area" (all in Penzance, a good 3-hour drive :rolleyes: ) I ended up travelling to Kent in the end, but it was worth it.

I was already in the mental health system, so I asked my CPN. He said he felt that I did have the traits that I said I had, and arranged for me to see the psychologist. When I saw her she told me she had some experience with Asperger's because she once worked with a patient who had it, and that she knew that a lot of people with AS like to call themselves aspic :lol:

I was still just beginning to learn about AS at the time and realised that I do have huge difficulties making eye contact, and that other people may find that strange. As a result, I was trying really hard to make eye contact, and managed to make fleeting eye contact with her once during the half-hour appointment.

After the appointment she told me that it did look like I had Asperger's, although she wasn't qualified to make an official diagnosis, and praised me on my efforts to make eye contact.

Later I got a sneaky peek at my notes and it said that I make good eye contact and therefore could not possibly have Asperger's. I ended up getting referred to all kinds of inappropriate group therapy because they felt that if I met other "people with problems," I would not feel so intimidated by them as I am by mentally healthy people, and I would relate to them and make friends. I do know many other people with mental health problems and am already very aware that I am not alone in that, but I went along with it because I have been accused so many times of refusing to co-operate, but I did not relate to the other people at all and did not make any friends. But that in itself was interpreted as non-co-operation and I ended up discharged from the mental health service with a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder :wallbash:

I eventually went back as I needed a doctor's referral, even to go private. My doctor sent me back to the mental health team to see a different CPN, who was actually really open with me and gave me copies of everything she put in my file (well, that's what she said anyway), and wrote to my GP saying it would be helpful for me to be assessed for AS, although it would not be possible on the NHS, and he eventually wrote the referral.

If you can afford to go private, it would certainly save any hassle, and it may well end up being your only option anyway.

Pushing for NHS assessment would be a difficult battle, and they may simply point blank refuse. It does cost them money, and if they decide it is not good value for money, they will refuse. Even if a diagnosis could help them to make his mental health treatment more appropriate, a professional who understands this may not be available anyway. That said, simply knowing has helped me to understand a lot of things about myself and feel better about myself.

The National Autistic Society may be able to advise you and help you find someone qualified to diagnose adults. They have a phone number and an email address that you can contact them by. They have a database of professionals and they can tell you who is in your area.

My cousin tried to be reffered for possible dyspraxia but couldn't on the NHS. Someone advised her to enroll on a college or uni course as most have Educational Psychologists who are usually better trained at looking for symptoms. She got her referral via the college and they even funded it. She now has a Dx for Dyspraxia with som AS traits.

Hope this helps