Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Just about to start a classic book I first read when I was a teenager: Freckles, by Gene Stratton Porter, written in 1904. It's about a lad with one hand raised in a Chicago orphanage who goes to live in the Limberlost swamp in Indiana!

Bid :)

Why was only his hand raised in a Chicago orphanage?

Where was the rest of him raised?

:P

Oh and "Crime and Punishment" again - one of my all-time favourites.

:)

I enjoyed the serialisation of Villette on radio 4 last week and would like to read it. But the only bookshop in town didn't have it in stock today. :crying:

That said, I've got about 5 books on the go at the moment so maybe I should finish them first! :rolleyes:

K x

I enjoyed the serialisation of Villette on radio 4 last week and would like to read it. But the only bookshop in town didn't have it in stock today. :crying:

That said, I've got about 5 books on the go at the moment so maybe I should finish them first! :rolleyes:

K x

I have the Wordsworth edition of Villette; I think it's the only one which actually has translations in the notes of all the French passages. Though if you read French I guess it's not a problem ;) All my other Bronte novels are Oxford editions, except The Professor which I have in Oxford and Penguin (for the two different versions :) ).

K x

Library. :thumbs:

The Tribe by Glenn Chandler.

The Scourge by Nick Sharman (working my way through all the Hamlyn horror paperbacks in preparation for the book I intend writing on them :) )

Library. :thumbs:

Grrr, don't get me started!

Our council, in its great wisdom, after going through the motions of a consultation shut our little local library, despite widespread campaigning petitioning, and protest. :wallbash: We do have one in the centre of town but because of the hassle of getting there I don't go quite as often as I used to.

K x

I've been devouring books at an alarming rate recently, 2/3 per fortnight, too many to remember. I'm into 'crime' at present, at the mo I'm reading 'The Broken Window' by Jeffery Deaver.

~ Mel ~

Our council, in its great wisdom, after going through the motions of a consultation shut our little local library, despite widespread campaigning petitioning, and protest. :wallbash: We do have one in the centre of town but because of the hassle of getting there I don't go quite as often as I used to.

K x

Seems to be a countrywide problem K. S's little library in the Wirral has shut, her nearest is a car ride away. We aren't shutting any here in Lancs as far as I know, however the 'improvements' being made are somewhat in the eye of the beholder. Seems to involve getting rid of books, replacing them with computers & letting children run wild so they 'feel welcome'. I was taught to behave in a library. And I'm not even going to start on academic libararies ....

Grumpy old woman rant over :whistle:

Hmm, I've never bothered with libraries; books are my main AS obsession and I have to own a book if I'm going to read it, thus I have my own library with approx. 3000 volumes at present :D Charity shops are great places to get cheap books, as well as Amazon market place.

Reading Nick Sharman's CHILDMARE at the moment (£2.76 including P+P from Amazon :thumbs: )

Seems to be a countrywide problem K. S's little library in the Wirral has shut, her nearest is a car ride away. We aren't shutting any here in Lancs as far as I know, however the 'improvements' being made are somewhat in the eye of the beholder. Seems to involve getting rid of books, replacing them with computers & letting children run wild so they 'feel welcome'. I was taught to behave in a library. And I'm not even going to start on academic libararies ....

i feel the same, it defeats the object of libraries. If you can get to the birkenhead tunnel on saturdays (wirral side) i know of an adult asperger

social group your 19 year old might want to join?

alexis

Im reading a number of books at the moment....

my life in my hands by alison lapper

a stitch in time by Andrew Robinson (DS9 book)

later on i will have 8 autism books to read for my CB module eeefk

I live in dread of our little local library closing!! :unsure: I went into a larger library in another town recently and it was awful, three quarters of the place was taken up with DVDs and CDs and games with just a tiny section with actual books crammed into one corner, it was like books were a second thought, I hated it.

~ Mel ~

Got to try and read Wuthering Heights before 9pm Sunday (when the new ITV two-parter starts) :o

Got to try and read Wuthering Heights before 9pm Sunday (when the new ITV two-parter starts) :o

WOW You missing out if you havent read weathering heights did it for literature in my final year at school,its lovely,sure you will find it better than the itv programme I will watch it to though.I am studying at the moment so no chance to read anything other than my course books.

Its a book I read & swooned over when I was 16 - then re-read & laughed my socks off when I was 40! :D

Heathcliff & Cathy - it would never have lasted :whistle:

Its a book I read & swooned over when I was 16 - then re-read & laughed my socks off when I was 40! :D

:lol:

Kate Bush could have sung at the wedding :D

I've always been a fan of Emily and Branwell's poetry, but have avoided Wuthering Heights so far because of its high reputation (I've read a lot of books and been disappointed due to the build up others have given them). Plus there's the fact I might not be able to take it--the poetry really strikes a chord with me and I find it hard to deal with :tearful:

Edited by LordGorse

Because I'm absolutely ancient, its really interesting to re-read books I read when young - the books haven't changed, but I have! Case in point is Anne Frank's diary - read it when I was 13 & totally identified with Anne & her struggles with her mother & her closeness to her father. Re-read it recently, & felt sooooo sorry for her poor mother who just didn't 'gel' with her & faced daily rejection from her.

And don't get me started on D H Lawrence :whistle:

Just finsihed CUT by CATHY GLASS it was fantastic, its the early days of a foster mother who decides to open her home to other children, she doesnt have a clue of the depths of where and what her foster children have endured, the reports she recieves give little background if any at all, and she is thrown into a world where children hide their pain of torture and abuse, and how she attepts to help them, sometimes she cant because of the crazy system of social services, it was a great insight to a caring foster family trying to do their best with what they have.

Cathy Glass has other books too, Ive just ordered The sadest little girl in the world.

Ive read Torey Hayden books too, and feels its a bit similiar but Ive enjoyed Cathy Glass more, so have a peek on amazon uk reviews.

Ive also read a brothers journey by richard pelzer.

I reading cRIMINAL at the moments a young man called Casper Walsh epresses his experience of drugs, violence, sexual abuse and frequent absences of a father in prison, its a story of how casper inevitable becomes part of his fathers wold, doing drugs, dealing, and doing his own time, and how as young man he evenually dragged himself of the gutter and out of prison and out of crime and made a decision to rehabilitate himself and along the way help to changes the lives of others like him.

I would like to add Lullabies for little criminals to my list after reading baddads post.

Can any one recommend an inspirational book, one that really inspires you.

JsMumxx

Can any one recommend an inspirational book, one that really inspires you.

JsMumxx

The Education of Little Tree by Forest Carter

Thanks for that Lordgorse will have a look on amzon

JsMum

No problem. There are used copies on amazon for a penny (plus the £2.75 P+P).

Loved it when I was studying it for A Levels. Quite fancied Heathcliffe, or was it Hareton - its a very long time since I read it. I will certainly be watching on Sunday.

And Did Those Feet by Charlie Connelly

Another Radio 4 Book of the Week choice - I never get to hear every episode so always end up ordering the good ones from the library.

A series of walks by the author, in which he retraces on foot various famous historical journeys. The earliest was Boudica's journey from Essex to Hertfordshire when she led her revolt against the Romans, the most recent the Doolough Famine walk of 1849 in County Mayo, (part of my own family history & what attracted me to the book) when hundreds of starving people walked 15 miles to a country house at the order of famine inspectors, only to be turned away with nothing to eat. Many of them died on the way, more on the way back

Having survived Wuthering Heights I'm now reading The Big Goodnight by Judy Gardner.

I read it when I was 16 and wept buckets. I haven't read it since.

After enjoying Nella Last's War I'm sticking with the same theme and reading Our Hidden Lives by Simon Garfield. It's also based on Mass Observation diaries: the diaries of 5 people in post war Britain are woven together.

K x

Yay, you found it K! Thats one of the MO books I was talking about but couldn't remember the title. Its the difference between how that time is viewed now & how it was then that I find interesting.

Just finished Managing Meltdowns by Deborah Lipsky. A guide which uses the acronym SCARED as an aide-memoire. Short, readable & useful. I think I'll buy a copy.

ISOBEL by Jane Parkhurst.

Yay, you found it K! Thats one of the MO books I was talking about but couldn't remember the title. Its the difference between how that time is viewed now & how it was then that I find interesting.

I didn't have to look very hard. :lol: We already had a copy, as WW2 research is loosely connected with my husband's work, so I'll have to dig around and see what else we have. Yes it's fascinating to see how the diarists report on major events like the atomic bomb and the discovery of the concentration camps as they unfold.

K x

I've just started 'Mr Pip' by LLoyd Jones. Only a few chapters in so not really sure what it's about yet but the writing is fantastic:

A woman called May told a story about a frigate bird that had brought her a birthday card from a neighbouring island. The card was folded inside an old toothpaste box that was taped under the bird's wing. It was for her eighth birthday and the large bird seemed to know this because, she said, it stood with her mum and dad watching her as she read the note, and when she came to the words 'Happy birthday May' she said everyone cheered and that's when she saw the bird smile.

'The next day we ate it for my birthday lunch.'

When Mr watts heard that, his head reared back and his arms dropped to his sides. He looked appalled. I wonder if May noticed because she then said, 'Of course, the bird didn't know about that part.'

Still, we all felt uncomfortable because Mr watts had been made to feel uncomfortable.

:D

I've just finished re-reading The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper.

:D

Philippa Gregory's latest, The White Queen about Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV. It the first in a new series of novels she's doing about the Wars of the Roses.

Loved it. I like the way she sticks to the historical details where she can, but lets her imagination run riot when the documents are vague.