Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

bit of a sucker for the romantic books and anything written by Marion Keys and Mike Gayle. Cant think of the name of the book but its about a man who has an accident and goes into a coma it then comes out that he has not one but 2 wifes and has been leading a double life for 5 years with neither wife aware of the other until now very girly and would def make a good chick flick although they are never as good as the book PS I love you the Devil wears Prada and Bridget Jones I have found to be like this.

I'm halfway through The London Eye Mystery & cant put it down. Its been on JP's shelf for months but he takes aaaages with books. I think he'd really enjoy it though as the narrator has similar obsessions & an annoying big sister!

I read that to Jay about a month ago and we really enjoyed it. :thumbs:

I'm currently reading 'Sorting out Billy' by Jo Brand. Seems promising so far. :P

~ Mel ~

Edward Rutherfurd has written 2 books about Ireland on a similar theme.

They are called Dublin: Foundation and Ireland: Awakening. They have different titles outside of the UK.

If it's by the same author, is it called "Dublin?"

I'm also reading "We need to talk about Kevin" about a mother examining her relationship with her teenage son who has killed several people. Disturbing stuff, but very well written.

K x

Found it! Its called Ireland: a novel by Frank Delaney. I remember enjoying it but I'm absolutely useless at remembering plots, I'll end up like the old ladies I used to serve when I worked in public libraries who used to take the same book home over & over :rolleyes:

I'm just the same with films, when they come on TV I have to ask Mr p if I've seen it before.

Found it! Its called Ireland: a novel by Frank Delaney. I remember enjoying it but I'm absolutely useless at remembering plots, I'll end up like the old ladies I used to serve when I worked in public libraries who used to

take the same book home over & over :rolleyes:

You must have worked in my local library.....Excuse me I may be grey but am not that old. :lol::lol::lol:

ive just finished a brilliant called save karyn,its based on a true story about a shopoholic who got herself in thousands of debt then she set up a website and asked everyone to give her a dollar,its being made into a film now,i got the book from my library

Aliens love underpants! :blink:

It's little monkeys - honest.... Much giggling with reference to undercrackers and similar. :)

Anyone read On Chesill Beach - Ian McEwan?? Any good?

Re-reading Atonement at the mo.

Hev - you after a quid..? :shame:

Aliens love underpants! :blink:

I bought my cousin that book for Christmas :)

I had to read it myself first, to check it was suitable, you know :whistle:

I collected The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time yesterday from the library, thinking eldest dd would enjoy it. She flicked through it, and announced it had swear words in. :o It did.....the blooming F word too!

I didn't realise it was for adults :oops:

I collected The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time yesterday from the library, thinking eldest dd would enjoy it. She flicked through it, and announced it had swear words in. :o It did.....the blooming F word too!

I didn't realise it was for adults :oops:

It is a brilliant book, but meant more for teens and young adults really. They adult and children's versions are identical in their text, the only difference is the cover. I read it to Jay and I did edit out some of the rude words the first time I read it to him, but he read it himself later. He dislikes swearing, has never said a swear word in his life, but the swearing does fit in with the story, iyswim. I'd def. recommend reading it to your DD, it's incredibly moving and poignant. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

I have just started reading Stephen Fry's autobiography.

I was reading it sitting in the car this morning as I was early for an appointment. A woman gave me a right funny look when she saw me sitting in a parked car, all by myself, laughing!

I finished The London Eye Mystery last night, really enjoyed it.

Tonight I'm starting War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo. Its about a horse's experience of the first world war.

Yes, I have, it was good. I always find aspie bio's a mixed blessing though, there's always painful stuff which can stir up memories isnt there? One of the best I have read was Songs of the Gorilla Nation by Dawn Prince Hughes, a real inspiring read.

Makes perfect sense Hev. I have to be in the right mood. And you dont know what you are going to get. Some are profoundly depressing (but not many) some are really encouraging & uplifting. The Gorilla one is great cos she goes through all sorts of awful stuff but comes through it & is now living a really fulfilled, happy life, oh & you find out a lot about gorillas too.

Know how you feel Hev. When our youngest was dx with MD, I immersed myself in MD books for months. All the kiddies died, it was horrific, yet it felt like a compulsion, to just keep reading them. Now I don't touch them, so I can empathise....hits a raw nerve >:D<<'>

Finished Blue Sky July, by Nia Wyn.....really well writtan, and definately recommend it.

Going to start Martian in the Playground tonight. Anyone else read this?

Blue Sky July was serialised on the radio recently, I caught most of it & would like to read it.

yes thats what i mean,a bit too painful,a while ago i kept reading articles about epilepsy and getting upset

Going to start Martian in the Playground tonight. Anyone else read this?

Yes, the best book on ASD and education, in my opinion. Every staffroom should have a copy.

K x

I finished The London Eye Mystery last night, really enjoyed it.

Tonight I'm starting War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo. Its about a horse's experience of the first world war.

G's theatre group saw the performance at the National, and even some of the lads were :tearful:

I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's Thames book that I was given for Christmas.

I'm not reading anything at the mo' but like real life stories, which are actually most of the time really depressing, set that side and I mostly read up on stuff to do with my son.

Last night I sat down and read 15 pages about physical intervention and I didn't get to finish it.

Think I need a soppy love story, is there anyone who can suggest anything? >:D<<'>

G's theatre group saw the performance at the National, and even some of the lads were :tearful:

War Horse - I saw this production last year and it was incredibly powerful and very moving, I cried real tears. And the horse puppets were amazing.

I'd like to read Thames, I've got Peter Akroyd's Biography of London, and I'm part way through that. I like to have several books on the go at once. :rolleyes:

K x

I like to have several books on the go at once. :rolleyes:

K x

Oh, me too. Usually a substantial one,often non-fiction, a new novel and an old favourite and sometimes something I'm reading for my job. The charity shops round here are fantastic for second-hand best sellers.

Whatever the latest must read, three months later there are multiple copies floating around for �1.50.

I've always been puzzled by people who don't keep books that they've enjoyed reading, they read it once and feel no need to do so again. My brother is a lot like that.

Harry P. and The Deathly Hallows (second reading, blub!), and a Stephen King (Dream Catchers) that I haven't really got into :unsure:

Dream Catcher is (In SK terms) a bit of a 'toikey'...

Best two SK novels (IMO)

The Stand (M-O-O-N. That spells Tom Cullen)

Firestarter...

With SK you're better off reading the older stuff and then reading up to the newer ones

BD :)

We tried & failed to book for that on our London trip. Read the Thames book a couple of months back, enjoyable but I liked London better.

I've just finished The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler. Its about a man whose son dies & then his wife leaves him, which sounds depressing, but it isnt because he finds a whole different new life which he'd never have left his comfort zone for otherwise.

I've just started Engleby by Sebastian Faulks, I've read a few of his.

And I've just heard there's a new Joanna Trollope out, I love her books so I'll get reserving at the library, there will be a huuuuuge waiting list.

I've just finished 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by Kate Atkinson. Really wonderful. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

Ooh yes I enjoyed that.

Cant remember much about it though, I can NEVER remember plots!

I've just finished Bedroom Secrets Of The Master Chefs by Irvine Welsh...

twas okay, but generally fairly predictable...

Picked up a couple of Michael Connelly's from Library today - nice, non taxing stuff...

Dipping into Flanimals of the deep/day of the bletchling (ben's xmas prezzies) and Stephen Fry's paperweight between proper books...

Fave recent read Lamb - by Christopher Moore

I've always been puzzled by people who don't keep books that they've enjoyed reading, they read it once and feel no need to do so again.

I have a theory on this one - I suspect some people buy particular books so they can either look/feel smart in buying them/having them on their shelves or in saying they had them. I have a book (mathematics from the birth of numbers...) for similar reasons (I had actually intended to read it) - it now serves two purposes - a)making me look smart and b)tilting back my bookshelf just enough so the other books don't fall off* :lol::wacko:

*Just don't go telling a certain librarian on this forum - you know how they are about books being used for improper purposes.... :whistle:

I have a theory on this one - I suspect some people buy particular books so they can either look/feel smart in buying them/having them on their shelves or in saying they had them. I have a book (mathematics from the birth of numbers...) for similar reasons (I had actually intended to read it) - it now serves two purposes - a)making me look smart and b)tilting back my bookshelf just enough so the other books don't fall off* :lol::wacko:

*Just don't go telling a certain librarian on this forum - you know how they are about books being used for improper purposes.... :whistle:

*sharp intake of breath*

Improper use of books? I think I need to lie down in a darkened room.

I'm reading Goodbye Charlie, by Reg Thompson at the mo. It's written by a father, whose daughter Charlie was killed with a friend, in Dec 2006, aged 13, when they was hit by a train while crossing to another platform at a station.

He writes her letters, as if she has just gone away for a short while, detailing their day to day lives, and their struggle to even contemplate that she has gone :tearful: