Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Re-reading Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

A special interest of yours? ;)

Actually I've read it more than once, and feel an urge to re-read coming on. :rolleyes:

No, just thought it would be interesting to re-read Cold Comfort Farm after having ploughed(!) through Precious Bane. Also I hadn't appreciated the futuristic aspects of Stella Gibbons's novel the first time I read it.

Edited by Aeolienne

Hello there,

I kind of jumped headlong into Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (also: Blade Runner) by Philip K. Dick. I read all if it minus two chapters in one portion of the day, and actually ended up missing my stop on the bus, ending up all the way at the bus station. I love his works, Counter-Clock World is intense also.

Eustace.

The Big Breach: From top secret to maximum security by Richard Tomlinson (former M16 agent)

Jennet Preston and the Lancashire Witches by Jonathan Lumby - a well-reasoned book revealing new insights over the witch mania of 1612.

What Should I Do With My Life? The true story of people who answered the ultimate question by Po Bronson

The Genius Test by Mensa

I've never been very happy with the term 'genius' at the best of times - and less so having read the introductory section (which is why I bought the book - for 50p) - although I certainly find it useful.

I'm now writing down my own thoughts about extraordinary thinking abilities, particularly seeing that I've been talking to another forum member who, although much younger than me, is an 'intellectually aspergic' equal to me, and to an uncanny degree. It's made me wonder about exactly why we are so different to most Aspies in this area. She is already an obsessive philomath, which I feel is essential to developing into a polymath. She's the only person I've ever known like this and given the right start (which I never had) she'll have a very promising future. To achieve this she needs a diagnosis so that others will no longer see her as merely inexplicably 'weird' or 'difficult', but rather as a highly intelligent and sensitive person on the autism spectrum.

Edited by Mihaela

The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.

It's a philosophical (existentialist) essay which should prep me before I embark on the much more comprehensive Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre. I seem to subscribe to much of the existentialist school of philosophy, though whether learning more about it will be good for my psychological well-being remains to be seen.

The Complete Fairy Tales and Stories of Hans Andersen, translated by Erik Haugaard

Value Together: Annual report and accounts 2014 by Associated British Foods plc

An Economy That Works: Better growth beyond GDP by the Aldersgate Group, available to download here

I'm currently reading fingerprints of the gods by graham Hancock, it's a good read with some compelling evidence to make you think about what you thought you knew or were told about world events. It's worth a look.

Tambora: The eruption that changed the world by Gillen D'Arcy Wood

Short Circuit: The lifecycle of our electronic gadgets and the true cost to Earth by Philippe Sibaud, available to download here

Just finished re-read of Ulysses (started one week ahead of this year's Bloomsday).

Edited by Shnoing

Having seen The Theory of Everything earlier this year, I'm re-reading Stephen Hawking: A life in science by Michael White and John Gribbin.

The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson

Did a binge re-reading of C.S.Forester's Hornblower books.

By chance I found: Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Only a novel, but, well, good to read ...

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Back to: Revolutions (see post #780) - halfway through by now (and with this book, you know exactly where the middle is)*.

* you are suggested to read from both ends at the same time

Edited by Shnoing

The Cypriot by Andreas Koumi

Been There. Done That. Try This!: An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth edited by Tony Attwood

Any good?

I think so. As all Aspies are supposed to be different, I suppose it's something some people will find things they relate to in, while others may not get much out of it.

95 Excel Tips & Tricks To Make You Awesome at Work by Purna Duggirala, available to download here

I know this sounds contentious but has anybody apart from myself read Secrets, Spies and 7/7 by Tom Secker?

It is a comprehensive piece of independent research into all aspects of the 7/7 bombings along with references to original sources of information including that later released by FOI requests etc. The author also debunks many of the popular conspiracy theories in circulation as well as condemning the official narrative - which is contained in three government reports - as being falsehood and full of factual inaccuracies that the government refuses to correct.

After you have finished reading the book you will be left with more questions than answers as to what actually happened on that day and in the years proceeding it. This is despite 7/7 officially being a closed case as far as the government is concerned and a public inquiry steadfastly refused.

I Can Make You Confident: The power to go for anything you want! by Paul McKenna

Hungry City: How food shapes our lives by Carolyn Steel

We Do Things Differently: The outsiders rebooting our world by Mark Stevenson

On 1/12/2021 at 11:11 PM, Aeolienne said:

We Do Things Differently: The outsiders rebooting our world by Mark Stevenson

Are the outsiders who do things differently, people on the spectrum?