Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Morality for Beautiful Girls - volume 3 of the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series

Simon

Oooh, I've read one of those, and loved the adaptation on TV over Easter :D

Boho :dance:

When we went to London, my mum came over to look after the kiddies.

After she'd left, she rang and said "Forgot to tell you, I've left a book for you to read by your bed"

Went for a look....and it was Deadly Divorces :unsure: True life stories of partners who have murdered their other halves or the "other" woman/man. Do you think she's trying tell me something? :lol:

When I was trying to get the Ex to move out of the house, there was a book out called How to Murder Your Husband. I kept thinking I should buy a copy and leave it lying around :lol:

I'm currently reading The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. It didn't start off as good as I expected, but I kept with it because I like his turn of phrase, and about half way through I realised I was really enjoying it.

I've just finished The Myriad Gifts of Asperger Syndrome.

I mostly liked it cos v upbeat. Part 1 was celebrating children's achievements. Part 2 was about all the various occupations Aspies are successfully engaged in. Part 3 (& heres where I was a bit iffy) was v into posthumously dx'ing various famous peeps, plus some who arent dead yet! I also thought some of the websites recommended were a bit iffy, like Cure Autism Now.

I've just collected Eat, Pray, Love, One Woman's Search For Everything, by Elizabeth Gilbert, from the library.

My reservations fees are getting outta hand :o

I've just collected Eat, Pray, Love, One Woman's Search For Everything, by Elizabeth Gilbert, from the library.

I've heard the sequel to that is quite good too: "Eat, Shoot, Leave, One Man's Search For Everything" :ph34r: :ph34r: :whistle:

I've heard the sequel to that is quite good too: "Eat, Shoot, Leave, One Man's Search For Everything" :ph34r: :ph34r: :whistle:

:lol: How does one so young know so much about men?

I've had to put this to one side....just can't get into it at all, too deep and intense....feel like me lil ole brain is going to explode :hypno: I thought it was going to be abit like Bridget Jones finds God :lol:

I'm glad I persevered with The Gun Seller, because I really enjoyed it in the end.

Am now reading Blind Faith by Ben Elton. It's a bit 1984esque, and very, very good.

:DI'm just reaching the end of Austerity Britain, a heavy (in both senses of the word) tome about post war life, back in the day when my parents were newly wed & I wasnt even a twinkle in my daddy's eye.

So big I could barely hold it up, & though I like a bit of social history I did skip through chunks of it. I love the Mass Observation interviews with people. And was interesting reading about the post war squatters movement as my parents were part of it. Dad came home from the war, married mum, all the housing stock was bombed to oblivion, so like thousands of others they illegally occupied some army huts, along with other family members. I have a photograph of my brother in a baby bath outside the hut :D

I love the Mass Observation interviews with people.

The Mass Observation Project was/is fascinating - an amazing bit of social history and such a valuable resource for future generations/research/understanding of how we are now. We generally don't think about how out of the ordinary the ordinary things we do today may seem to future generations. What will people 50 years from today think about me sitting and typing on my laptop on a virtual forum? What will this forum look like in 50 years? :unsure: Thinking about how future generations will view today fascinates me (in the same way I've often thought about how fantastic it would be to bring people from even 100/200 years ago into our world today - so much changes in such a relatively short period of time).

Hmm, not sure what the point of that post was - oh well!!! :lol:

Yes, MO is still going strong - after reading some of the books I emailed them & offered my services as I enjoy writing, only to be told they wanted young men at the moment not middle aged women. Huh! :angry:

What will this forum look like in 50 years?

Well I reckon baddad will have completely lost it by then & Ben will have to censor his posts as he will be such an emabarrassment to his son :lol: All the young peeps will think forums are terribly old fashioned as they are now implanted with chips & communicate by telepathy.

Edited by pearl

Well I am attempting (and on occasion failing) to revise at the moment (failing to revise now as on here!) so its lovely textbooks on the shelf!

Economics - by John Sloman

Economics, Real Estate and the Supply of Land by Alan W. Evans

Town and Country Planning in the UK by B.Cullingworth and V.Nadin

mmmm... ;)

Just started The Testament of Gideon Mack, recommended by a friend.

I've been bored stiff lately with the last couple of books I've been reading.....had to put the last aside (see previous post) and then went back to one I had begun reading previous to that, about a young girl in Ireland who had a baby after being raped. It follows her life, in the Magdalen (sp?) laundries etc.....but also struggling with this one too :(

I rarely read fiction, but today, out of desparation, and because I watched PS I Love You again last night having enjoyed it so much at the piccies, I picked up If You Could See Me Now by Cecilia (sp?) Ahern while at Tesco's.

Just finished Short history of tractors in ukrainian. It's a laugh a minute and very perceptive. The relationships sound rather like those in our family. Well recommended.

Mostly chemistry, physics, maths and biology books for the summer resits. For a break I'm reading about the German Reformation and some general psychology books. I needed a break from fantasy books as that is all I had been reading the last 9 months. :lol:

Just finished Not Stupid by Anna Kennedy, the woman who started her own school when she couldnt find adequate education for her two sons, one autistic, one aspergers.

Very inspiring, in just a few years she has opened a junior school, an upper school, a FE college & a residential home.

But also quite intimidating - very few of us have the wherewithal to do that. Glad she did though, could do with one of her in every county.

I'm reading Promise Me by Harlan Coben. Very good!

I enjoyed Notes From an Exhibition. There is a very nice photo of the author on the inside of the cover, but it turns out he's gay . . .

I've just started reading 'Zoology' by Ben Dolnick...

Only just read the first chapter this morning, but already think i'm on to a winner :):thumbs:

For anyone who likes the Glass family (Franny/Zooey/Walt/Waker/Seymour/Buddy etc), it seems to have very similar dynamics/observation...

One of my favourite paragraphs so far (but there are LOADS this good!), talking about his primary school:

When I was a student there, Mrs Moore, the grey-toothed lunch lady, would Magic Marker a symbol on the back of one styrofoam tray each holiday - a heart on Valentine's day, a clover on St Patrick's day, a pumpikin on Halloween - and in the second before you turned your tray over your brain would go quiet. You got to be first in line the next day if you got the marked tray, I think, but the point was the feeling: The whole day turned into a lottery when you knew one of those trays was out there...

There's a whole short story there...

...your brain would go quiet... :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy:

Mrs Moore :wub::wub: (Grey teeth or no)...

Sorry, am I gushing! :lol::lol:

:D

Edited by baddad

Just finished Amenable Women by Mavis Cheek, a novel reappraising the reputation of Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII's 4th wife. Very clever, shifts between then & the present day, includes talking portraits a bit like Harry Potter, & a nice little mystery to solve at the heart of it. Really enjoyed it.

I haven't read a book for a while and now I've got a month off work I'm determined to get through at least 3.

Today I bought The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Life of Pi - I think both have been recommended on this thread at some point. I hardly ever buy books - we have so many in the house I haven't read yet, but L was with me. She's a bad influence. :rolleyes:

K x

Im reading No One Listened by Isobel and Alex Kerr- I love reading true life stories but also love Jodi Picoult books and Tori Hayden books. It takes me forever mind to read a book as dont get much free time as you can imagine lol.

Gave up on Cecilia Ahern's If You Could See Me Now.....couldn't grasp the whole invisible person concept.

Have started to read Anne's Song, by Anne Nolan, really enjoying reading it.

I read Blind Faith a few weeks ago, SG, I really enjoyed it.

Now I am reading An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) by John O'Farrell. I keep laughing out loud :oops:

I read Blind Faith a few weeks ago, SG, I really enjoyed it.

Now I am reading An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) by John O'Farrell. I keep laughing out loud :oops:

I almost bought that book! That is on my list of books to buy though.

I haven't read a book for a while and now I've got a month off work I'm determined to get through at least 3.

Today I bought The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Life of Pi - I think both have been recommended on this thread at some point. I hardly ever buy books - we have so many in the house I haven't read yet, but L was with me. She's a bad influence. :rolleyes:

K x

Memory Keeper's Daughter :thumbs:

I never remember plots but this one has stayed with me.

I SO want them to film it with JD in the title role, but I dont think he's been asked :tearful:

:oops: just realised I've been talking about Time Traveller's wife :lol:

so much for remembering plots :rolleyes:

Edited by pearl

I also finished 'Blind Faith' last week and am now just starting 'High Society'. I'm addicted to Ben Elton at the mo, I've got two more of his standing by! :whistle:

~ Mel ~

I hadn't read any of his before Blind Faith. I've got several more now, through a book-swapping website.