Bagpuss

What book are you reading at the moment?

Charlie Brooker's "screen burn".

Without a doubt the greatest RANTER of our times, and embarrassing to read in public because it is that funny!

Dipping in at random -

Steps Into Summer represents untertainment at its finest and will be warmly welcomed by anyone who regularly sits in front of the box with a loaded shotgun in their mouths trying to pluck up the courage.

(on a documentary called 'One Night Stands' ):

The programme would be massively improved by the insertion of a protracted final sequence in which each participant is glued to a deckchair and kicked down a stairwell.

They're both taken from the same review page. There are 350 pages like that! :thumbs:

That books now on my 'i wannnnnit list' :D

I'm reading Mr Maybe - Jane Green. Utter trash for my fuzzy, frazzled brain cell ........... and only 50p in the charity shop! :D

I've just spotted online Women From Another Planet? Our Lives in the Universe Of Autism by Jean Kearns Miller.

A book writtan by ladies with ASD which appears to have fab reviews.

Anyone else read it? I quite fancy it.

Finished Anne's Song by Anne Nolan, it was very good!

Just finished a biography of Katherine Swynford, long time mistress & eventually wife of John of Gaunt, ancestress of many kings & queens of England & Scotland. I read Anya Seton's novel "Katherine" about her at an impressionable age & it kick started my love of historical novels. And I have to admit I enjoyed the novel more!

Your new siggy made me laugh Pearl, I left youngest DD in a shop once........didn't realise until I found I didn't have a pram to hang my carrier bag on :shame::lol: There will be no hope for me at 50 :whistle:

Just finished a biography of Katherine Swynford, long time mistress & eventually wife of John of Gaunt, ancestress of many kings & queens of England & Scotland. I read Anya Seton's novel "Katherine" about her at an impressionable age & it kick started my love of historical novels. And I have to admit I enjoyed the novel more!

I really want to read that one, but couldn't afford it in hardback...so I'm waiting.

We have excellent charity shops in my town, and the shelves are often crammed with the latest recommended read, three months or less down the line.

So either the paperback or the charity shops...which will be first?

So either the paperback or the charity shops...which will be first?

Neither, go to the library! :lol:

Baggy, my sig came from one of those emails peeps forward on to you which I usually delete without reading - but I was spoilt for choice, everything in it described me! :lol:

Neither, go to the library! :lol:

We have been friends for a while now, so I feel our relationship is strong enough to survive this revelation.

I burnt my library card just after the new wing opened, funded by the fines I'd paid over the previous three years.

:whistle:

I've just spotted online Women From Another Planet? Our Lives in the Universe Of Autism by Jean Kearns Miller.

A book writtan by ladies with ASD which appears to have fab reviews.

Anyone else read it? I quite fancy it.

Yup...it's brilliant, Baggy :thumbs:

Boho :dance:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy, Priestess of the White - Trudi Canavan and multiple terry pratchetts. The Road is a re-read cos i thought it was a fantastic book, if a bit depressing.

We have been friends for a while now, so I feel our relationship is strong enough to survive this revelation.

I burnt my library card just after the new wing opened, funded by the fines I'd paid over the previous three years.

:whistle:

:o

I need to go & lie down in a darkened room.

This strikes at the very core of my being.

You do realise, that if everyone burnt their library cards, I would be out of a job? :lol:

You do realise, that if everyone burnt their library cards, I would be out of a job? :lol:

It's alright, I can balance this situation - I've kept my library cards from being a kiddie and moving round so joining lots of libraries, until now - so I have a pile of out of date and probably obsolete library cards for London and most of the Southern counties, the East Midlands, Wales ...

I'm currently reading Orwell's 1984. :ph34r:

'High Society' by Ben Elton, not enjoying it as much as his others that I've read. And don't worry, Pearl, it's from my fav. place, my local library. :thumbs:

~ Mel ~

I used to work in a library, but wasn't a librarian...................can you guess what wonderfully interesting job I had? :D

It paid the amazing sum of �26 per week :lol:.............for full time :o

Edited by Bagpuss

My sis had a saturday job at the library when she was a teen. She got the sack, 'cos they kept catching her hiding round the back of the shelves sitting on the floor reading! My mum went bonkers!! :lol:

Baggy, were you a shelf filler, hope you put them all back in the right places?

~ Mel ~

Nope......

I typed out the index cards :lol::lol: It was part of my YTS Clerical training :huh:

I was hidden behind screens, cut off from the outside world, thank gawd it had a lovely cafe downstairs, otherwise I would of given up the will to live :hypno:

:thumbs: phew my job is safe for a while longer then

Is there an online library in the same way you now get online DVD rentals? I know there are book swap sites, but is there an actual library where I can 'virtually' browse? :unsure:

Is there an online library in the same way you now get online DVD rentals? I know there are book swap sites, but is there an actual library where I can 'virtually' browse? :unsure:

I don't know about a global site, but your uni should have e-books, at ours you access them with your Athens password. V tiring for the eyes though. Students often request a paper copy if they want to read the whole book.

Is that what you mean, or were you thinking more of a large river type site?

I don't know about a global site, but your uni should have e-books, at ours you access them with your Athens password. V tiring for the eyes though. Students often request a paper copy if they want to read the whole book.

Is that what you mean, or were you thinking more of a large river type site?

A large river type site but where you don't buy and keep and add to the strain on the bookshelf which is already trying to fall through the floor, but pay a subscription to have a few and then when you send them back you can have some more.

I hate ebooks. I can't read the text easily (even with glasses, changing screen colour etc) and the limits on the number of pages from which you can copy sections to save is really limited.

Aaaah, right. No I'm sorry I dont know of one but I think Tally belongs to a book swappy kind of thing which might work for you?

I get everything from the library but I've usually read a review somewhere first, Sunday paper or magazine etc, or heard a snippet on Radio 4 & got hooked. Teeny library so I order nearly everything in.

Nope......

I typed out the index cards :lol::lol: It was part of my YTS Clerical training :huh:

I was hidden behind screens, cut off from the outside world, thank gawd it had a lovely cafe downstairs, otherwise I would of given up the will to live :hypno:

All this talk of libraries has reminded me that when I was student I spent one summer vacation doing a British Musuem Library Studentship, working in the library of an annexe of the Natural History Museum.

I was so young and innocent that I dutifully worked flat out from 0900 to 0500, and did 6 weeks work in 3 weeks before someone had a tactful word about 'coffee breaks', etc :lol:

It was a pretty profitable 6 weeks, though, 'cos one of the curators taped me all his Dire Straits albums :dance: and I got a snog and a squeeze from another curator on my last day :devil:;) Mind you, all the curators looked a bit like Bill Oddie :o:ph34r:

Boho :lol:

Ooh I am jellus. Not about the snog (tho theres nowt wrong with Bill Oddie in my diseased mind) but working in the NH museum library, I want that job!

If you must go to the library, whatever you do,

stay out of the shadows

:ph34r::ph34r:

And if you didn't watch the last two episodes of Dr Who, that won't mean anything to you. :P

K x

If you must go to the library, whatever you do,

stay out of the shadows

:ph34r::ph34r:

And if you didn't watch the last two episodes of Dr Who, that won't mean anything to you. :P

K x

Ooh, wasnt that the best ever? Epic stuff :thumbs:

It's been on my book shelf for years, and I sat down earlier and started reading and now I know what all the fuss is about.... Have had to drag myself away from it and actually carried it up the stairs when I went to the loo and tripped up!

A prayer for Owen Meany....haven't even finished the first chapter and I love it. Read Life according to Garp too many years ago to count and always been meaning to read Owen Meany, and can't believe I left it this long... been giggling away. Hope it isn't going to be too sad though!

Flo' :)

YOUR READING A PRAYER TO OWEN MEANIE??

HOPE YOU DON'T START SHOUTING ALL OVER THE PLACE LIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE WHO'VE READ IT...

TV

:D

YOUR READING A PRAYER TO OWEN MEANIE??

HOPE YOU DON'T START SHOUTING ALL OVER THE PLACE LIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE WHO'VE READ IT...

TV

:D

NO THAT WOULD NEVER DO.

Owen Meany - Sorry Flozza, but by the end you will need the tissues standing by. :crying:

K x

I'm reading A Different Kind Of Boy by Daniel Mont (his eldest son is autistic).

When I went to collect it from the library, the librarian said, in a very quiet voice bless her "erm, you seem to have alot of arrears to pay". I explained that I'd been reserving books online earlier in the week, and all the fees were from that :lol: Totalled nearly a fiver :wacko:

DH has just got back from the library with another three for me............a do love a nice big pile of books by my bed :curlers:

When I went to collect it from the library, the librarian said, in a very quiet voice bless her "erm, you seem to have alot of arrears to pay".

See, I'd have said it VERY LOUDLY just to embarrass you :devil:

I'm currently reading Loving Mr Spock by Barbara Jacobs, I'm about 40 pages in and it is already getting on my nerves. Bad sign really, but will try and get myself through it, if I still don't like it then I will sell it on . :rolleyes:

Totalled nearly a fiver :wacko:

Hahahaha! That is a lot?? I managed to run up fees of �96 and haven't been able to use the local library for nearly 2 years! I should probably pay it off at some point :whistle: I live just over the road from there so didn't really have an excuse not to return the items, I just kind of kept forgetting. :whistle:

I'm currently reading Loving Mr Spock by Barbara Jacobs, I'm about 40 pages in and it is already getting on my nerves. Bad sign really, but will try and get myself through it, if I still don't like it then I will sell it on . :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised it's getting on your nerves. :angry:

When the book came out the author was interviewed on radio 4 and I nearly threw my radio accross the room.

I thought the author was jumping on the band wagon and cashing in on a relationship that was well and trully over! In fact I'm sure the poor guy wasn't even actually diagnosed when she was with him (although I may be wrong there).

I thought she was a silly cow and the hooting laughter during the interview on Woman's Hour, while they disected this poor guy publically, turned my stomach. I thought she was just an attention seeking, cynical cow for writing that book, and I also wonder if the guy she was writing about even gave permission!

How dare someone who is not even remotely related to someone else (they weren't even married!!!!) think it's ok to write about their disability and make money from it.

I was livid and still am!!!! :angry: as you can probably tell :lol:

Flora

It truly is an awful book from what I've read so far. I have so far managed to keep myself from throwing it across the room, or even better the bin. I've read An Asperger marriage and found that a lot better than this tripe.

I've just started Deliver Me From Evil by Alloma Gilbert. It's her account of many years of abuse that she received at the hands of her foster mother.

I've just started Deliver Me From Evil by Alloma Gilbert. It's her account of many years of abuse that she received at the hands of her foster mother.

Is that the one who had Eunice Spry as her foster mother? Ive read that and her eerr brother I guess he was well his book too-the woman was evil. What frightened me is when I was a kid id actually met her cos my parents went to the Jehovah church!!!!!! :wacko:

More Ben Elton for me, 'The First Casualty'. Last week finished 'This Other Eden' and the week before that was 'High Society'. I'm addicted to Ben Elton at the mo. :o

~ Mel ~

You're further than i got ................. i managed ten pages. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Load of twoddle.