Sign in to follow this  
angel77

Any one else had problems login in?

Hi,

I've not been able to get on here all day. Is it just me? I've been ok on other sites.

It just said asd-forum.org could not be found. :wallbash:

I missed you all.

Angel.

Me too :(:tearful:

Makes you realise what a great place this is when you miss it when it's down for a relatively short time period. :thumbs:

I think it was just the server going down. Doesn't happen often, but it's a horrible feeling when it does!

Looking at the posts that made it on today, it looks as though it went out at around 9 ish this morning and came back up at about 4.00...

Touch wood, the problems all sorted now :)

L&P

BD :D

Can I ask a techie question without looking stupid?

I think it was just the server going down.

What does a server going down actually mean? I assume it doesn't actually go anywhere, but what has actually happened when people say this has happened? :unsure:

I think it was just the server going down. Doesn't happen often, but it's a horrible feeling when it does!

Looking at the posts that made it on today, it looks as though it went out at around 9 ish this morning and came back up at about 4.00...

Touch wood, the problems all sorted now :)

L&P

It was down when I tried to get on this morning before going to uni, that was about 6:30am.

Server going down... not really sure... I think they're a bit like pirate radio stations floating around in neutral waters and they sink sometimes(?)

Seriously, it's just a grand scale version of your modem or router playing up. I think. But don't quote me. Perhaps someone forgot to put a shilling in the meter? :unsure::wacko:

Hmmm.... i saw a post timed at about 08.30 (i think?) - maybe there was a short out and then a longer one?

Altogether now -

you put the forum in

You put the forum out

In out

In out

You shake it all about

You do the wonky server and you turn around

that's what it's all about - OI...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wonky wonky wonky

knees bend arms stretch have another beer!

:)

Altogether now -

you put the forum in

You put the forum out

In out

In out

You shake it all about

You do the wonky server and you turn around

that's what it's all about - OI...

knees bend arms stretch have another beer!

:)

And that's why I love this forum - Insanity!!!! :P

What does a server going down actually mean? I assume it doesn't actually go anywhere, but what has actually happened when people say this has happened?

Often wondered about that too.

Server going down... not really sure... I think they're a bit like pirate radio stations floating around in neutral waters and they sink sometimes(?)

Seriously, it's just a grand scale version of your modem or router playing up. I think.

But what does it look like and where does it live? The server often goes down at school - sometimes it's the whole local authority, sometimes it's just the campus and sometimes it's one of the schools within the campus. Sometimes you see the tech-men going places and looking very important when the server goes down, sometimes no-one seems to do anything.

I don't understand :tearful::rolleyes: .

Edited by krystaltps

the server is the Internet Service Provider... i.e. anyone who offers a connection to the internet...

I'm not very 'up' on this, so in MY 'idiot' terms I think of it like an electricity sub-station and a fault there causing a powercut... our houses (phones) connect to that particular sub-station, so if it goes down we lose our power....

It's a skewed way of looking at it, 'cos obviously the servers NETWORK is nationwide (or bigger) but that's probably the easiest way to get your head around it!

Hope that helps, rather than confusing the issue further!

L&P

Often wondered about that too.

But what does it look like and where does it live? The server often goes down at school - sometimes it's the whole local authority, sometimes it's just the campus and sometimes it's one of the schools within the campus. Sometimes you see the tech-men going places and looking very important when the server goes down, sometimes no-one seems to do anything.

I don't understand :tearful::rolleyes: .

The bit of machinery at school that the IT tech refers to as THE SERVER lives on a table in the Teachers Resource area. It seems to be four tall black boxes, about modem height with little coloured lights that blink. There is a keyboard that only HE can use, and lots of spaghetti wire.

It generates a huge amount of heat and has two fans of its own that we're not allowed to nick.

He also says that work, planning and IWB stuff is all 'backed up on the server' so when my school laptop went for sudden death, and I lost all my stuff, he gave me a new laptop two days later, with everything restored on it.

I don't need to understand, and I don't worry.

I bought him a chocolate orange.

Edited by Bard

I don't need to understand, and I don't worry.

I bought him a chocolate orange.

:D:D:D I think I'll have to be with you on this one Bard. :thumbs:

Poor Baddad tried... alas it is no clearer.

Re the tech man - We give him cake. He fixes our printers.

The server is the thingy that stored all the data (like posts and everything). It was not very well, it had a bit of a sleep, and while it was asleep, we could not access the data. It's feeling better now.

The server is the thingy that stored all the data (like posts and everything). It was not very well, it had a bit of a sleep, and while it was asleep, we could not access the data. It's feeling better now.

Did Bard give it a chocolate orange? :lol:

No, it's too spherical to fit in the slot.

I use pancakes with chocolate spread to cheer up my laptop, about the size of a cd... :unsure:

Can I ask a techie question without looking stupid?

What does a server going down actually mean? I assume it doesn't actually go anywhere, but what has actually happened when people say this has happened? :unsure:

Advanced warning: techy geeky suff follows!

When a server goes "down" it could be for a number of reasons. It could be a hardware failure - perhaps in the power supply or on a disk; it could be a "service" that has stopped (services control many functions, like providing Web Pages, allowing you to log on, access to the network etc); it could be the server "blue screened" (if it's a Windows Server - I can't recall the Linux equivalent - Kernal Panic perhaps) where some part of the Operating System gets screwed and kills the Operating System (if you used Windows before XP you will have seen the "Blue Screen of Death" if something went badly wrong, it's much less common these days); it could be that there is a problem with the network - so the server could be quite happy but unable to "talk" to the rest of the world... and so on.

In other words, a Server Crash is a very generic term for "something went wrong"!

Depending on how bady wrong (whether it's just one web server or whether the whole data centre has suffered a power failure) will determine how serious/stressed/panicky the tech guys look - unless they are true professionals who don't get stressed by anything and see these things as a challenge, but there aren't many of us left (ahem)...

And I can't remember the last time anyone brought me a Chocolate Orange (or anything, come to that :( )

Hope that's all clear!

Phil