Sign in to follow this  
Stella63

Strattera - any new info?

Hi

i posted recently saying psychiatrist was thinking about mood stabilizing drug for AJ. After last meeting it turns out that he now has a definite dx of ADHD without hyperactive element (apparently off the scale in several places). He won't prescribe ritolin because AJ has admitted he is smoking cannabis and obviously Ritolin has a value in the druggie market so wants to prescribe Strattera.

To be honest, we have tried everything possible with AJ and now we have social services involved because we are at our wits end with trying to help him and just getting everything thrown back in our faces all the time- he has no social conscience and does not seem to care about any consequences to the things he does and how he behaves (after being arrested last week he shows no remorse other than 'I didn't throw the brick through their window' but does not understand that he was there, part of a group being very intimidating to a family.

Anyway, does anyone have experience of the drug and is it possible that it might help get him back on track at school along side family therapy which is also recommended.

Stella xx

Personally this is not my choice of medication as I have read that there is high risks of associated behaviours and it has warnings on the packet that it could cause suicidal tendencies, psycosis.

I persoanlly would be very careful with any medication if your son is using cannabiz especially strattera regaurding the already side effects.

I have been told it takes months for any effect and for some parents there isn't any changes at all, other parents think its worked amazing for there child.

Every child is different, it can only be trialed and even strattera has a street value these days so the worry your doc has for not giving him ritalin is a bit of a judgement, he could be denying your son a medication that may work and prevent him self medicating.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi hun,

M started Strattera a couple of months ago - it took lots of soul searching from me and lots of various blood tests, blood pressure, etc, done by the paed before i agreed to it.

It's taken some time to get the right dose for him - if it's too high he gets very anxious and abusive - too low and his tics get worse.

The difference in him has been amazing - he is able to hold a conversation, is able to manage within the classroom for much longer - is beginning to understand himself better and control some things. He is making eye-contact (which still freaks me out as i'm not used to it!), he is more settled within himself - he always looked scared and anxious - now he looks much more at peace iyswim.

I could go on and on!

For him, it's been great and has given us that little break to get the behaviour management etc in place. Without the Strattera we wern't able to 'reach' him and it was a constant battle to try to keep him from self-harming.

>:D<<'>

Smiley

That is so incouraging and it goes to show that every child is soo different, I am so pleased that you can now do some behaviour support, are the NHS supporting this, I find that when children are placed on Drugs then the support isnt there in the home, school, councilling, behaviour support, so just wondered if your getting more than just the medication?

Your post really made me smile, J has been offered this but he would need anti anxiety meds too, so I am still thinking what to do.

Im looking into concerta have you trialed this one?

So pleased that strattera is working for your son and let me know how he gets on.

JsMum

Hi Stella,

One of my sons has this medication. What I found useful was the stratterra nurse, do you have one? She telephoned me regularly and gave out mobile number incase of emergency also she liased with doctors if he needed an increase.

The difference with this medication is that his personality is more apparent and I haven't heard him laugh so much since before he went on the ritalin which he had prior to strattera.

Good luck.

Angel.

JsMum,

Yes - very much so. We have monthly appointments with paed - in constant touch with nurse (similar to Angel) - behavioural support from clinical phycologist and pychiatrist monthly - education support from school, EP and autism outreach (daily if needed) - & OT support.

It is different for each child - moreso if the child has several co-morbid conditions as M does (AS, ADHD, SID, Dyspraxia, Tourettes). Taking time to find the right medication and right dose needs constant support, and mediation between school, NHS and myself.

All of the intervention M is now recieving just wouldn't have been possible if M wasn't taking Strattera. Ie; any appointment with NHS peeps would have been met with either total shutdown or severe agression and self-injurous behaviour from M. The medication has given us - and him - the brething space to impliment these things.

Most importantly - M has noticed a big difference - he tells me his 'brain is not fuzzy now' and things are easier for him to manage. We still have major problems and difficulties to overcome - but at least now we can begin to overcome them iyswim.

Hi

Thanks for all the input - I do understand that it may or may not be the right medication but it certainly seems to be effective for some of you.

Its slightly complicated because AJ has been seeing a private psychiatrist. He is writing to my own doctor to ask him if he will prescribe it on the NHS, so thats the first hurdle as Dr is a bit 'old school'. I don't know whether support will come via NHS or if we will have to keep going back to the psychiatrist ( at �100 a session!). CAHMS are no longer involved as they discharged AJ last summer.

Anyway will wait and see what my doctor says and take it from there.

Stella xx

Hi

Thanks for all the input - I do understand that it may or may not be the right medication but it certainly seems to be effective for some of you.

Its slightly complicated because AJ has been seeing a private psychiatrist. He is writing to my own doctor to ask him if he will prescribe it on the NHS, so thats the first hurdle as Dr is a bit 'old school'. I don't know whether support will come via NHS or if we will have to keep going back to the psychiatrist ( at �100 a session!). CAHMS are no longer involved as they discharged AJ last summer.

Anyway will wait and see what my doctor says and take it from there.

Stella xx

Stella. I was wondering if you want Camhs to be involved.I. I think it is very tough for you having to pay for private psychiatrist.Is there no option to ask GP to re refer AJ to Camhs ?

''Young Minds'' charity is very supportive.They have a telephone help line and may be able to offer some advice.Karen.

Edited by Karen A
Change to wording

Hi

Thought it was about time to give an update about AJ on Strattera and it was kind of freaky reading back through Smileys comments. Especially in the last week AJ has seemed so much more relaxed in his body language, he gives more eye contact and it is friendly rather than sullen or empty or angry, he is so much more communicative and will sit and talk. He has also managed a whole week of school, full time, without getting kicked out of a lesson!!! I am holding my breath and trying not to get too excited but it does seem to be making a difference. Saw the psychiatrist for an update (only a 20min session so less money - phew!) and he was really pleased with AJ's progress, says it will be another 2-3 weeks for the full effect.

Heres hoping!!!!

Stella xx

This all sounds so encouraging,

J is on ritalin and has been for the last 2 1/2 yrs I was thinking of asking the Dr to change his meds because we have our most upsetting and difficult times in the morning and as ritalin is a short acting drug we don't want to give it to him too early because then he will be having problems at school before his lunchtime dose is due, even if we were to change the times of his lunch time dose it would mean less 'cover' for the rest of the afternoon IYKWIM.

I have been thinking about strattera, but the only thing that is putting me off asking is because we had tried J on concerta slow release and he was on the highest dose and it wasn't doing anything for him which is why we went back to ritalin.