Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Post/Thread Removal

Just a quick question related not to this forum but to forums in general. Is it fairly easy for posts/threads to be removed by mods/admin even if these go back several months?

I'm trying to get my disability witch to arrange for a post about me she has put on another forum to be removed - I just want to have some ammunition ready for when she gets back to me and says she "can't".

Technically, yes.

The age of the post or thread makes no difference.

Of course I'm only speaking for this forum and a couple of others I've posted on in the past, but I assume they all work in similar ways.

K x

It might be a good idea to contact the administrators directly yourself. That way, you do not have to rely on second hand information.

Technically, yes.

The age of the post or thread makes no difference.

It might be a good idea to contact the administrators directly yourself. That way, you do not have to rely on second hand information.

I thought about that - I wasn't sure if I could, because it's not a forum I'm a member of - I was viewing it as a 'guest' :unsure: Well I'll give her a few days to sort it then try contacting them myself.

You may have to join the forum (you could sign up with your real and full name, that would put the wind up the old cow), but they may have a link somewhere where you can contact them without joining up. Personally, I would be inclined to contact them quite quickly after raising the issue with the uni, before she gets chance to remove it herself, but after you have made sure someone in a position of authority has seen the post.

As I suspected, she's claiming it's difficult. If it's not sorted within a few days I will be contacting the admins. Can I ask (and I know an answer can only be relate to this site) - if a thread was removed from say 6 months ago, would the users (us mortals!) have any knowledge of this, other than being unable to find it if we searched? She's claiming that removal will make it obvious to everyone again, which I don't understand :unsure:

Mumble....I suspect she is talking out of her backside!! :wallbash: - like you say the only thing anyone would notice was if they had already made a note of that particular thread and wanted to search for it again.

Hopefully one of the mods/admins on here can give us a better idea but I can't think of anything else that might occur

>:D<<'>

Hi Mumble.No it should not make it more obvious if the post was a long time ago.

On this Forum if a post is deleted soon after it has been posted then it may draw more attention than if it is left.People look at the gap and wonder what was there in the first place.So sometimes it is a better option to leave the post to sink naturaly.However if the post was some time ago then there is little chance that anyone would notice the edited post.

If the individual is reluctant to ask the mods to edit the post and has in effect acknowledged that it refers to you then another option may be to contact the site mods/admin yourself.If the post is inflamatory then you could ask for it to be removed if it has been acknowledged by the disability person that it is about you.It is certainly worth a try.Karen.

If the individual is reluctant to ask the mods to edit the post and has in effect acknowledged that it refers to you then another option may be to contact the site mods/admin yourself.If the post is inflamatory then you could ask for it to be removed if it has been acknowledged by the disability person that it is about you.It is certainly worth a try.Karen.

Yes she's acknowledged that it is about me, and I do think the issue is that she doesn't want the site admin to know she's breached confidentiality. It's not inflamatory but it is a breach of disclosure/trust. I will give her two days, then I will be contacting the site admins myself.

Hi Mumble,

Does the disability person know that you've posted in detail about her on another forum? She might level the same accusations against you, if so. I'm not saying you're not justified in being angry or in trying to get the posts removed, but you might want to take the possibility of counter attack into account in considering how far you want to pursue this.

K x

Hi Mumble,

Does the disability person know that you've posted in detail about her on another forum? She might level the same accusations against you, if so. I'm not saying you're not justified in being angry or in trying to get the posts removed, but you might want to take the possibility of counter attack into account in considering how far you want to pursue this.

K x

Hi Kathryn,

I have thought about this a lot. However, I think there are some fundemental differences - she is in a position of authority requiring high levels of confidentiality which she has breached, she has a disclosure/confidentiality policy which she has explicity breached - there is no such policy for me, my posts at no point identify my university (London university is made up of several universities and colleges covering many thousands of students and staff) or her specifically within it (there are several of 'her') whereas the one of hers I want removed names my specific university, previous employment, details of my specific disability etc.

I would be happy if she would simply write an email to me and say "I'm sorry this happened Mumble, it won't happen again" and ask the mods to remove the post. At the moment I feel very uneasy that it could happen again and she hasn't acknowledged that there is anything wrong with what she has done.