Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

we have been perscibed melatonin.

hi guys -just an update -we had our appointment at camhs today-went really really well-and we have been perscibed melatonin.

such a relief to be listened too ...and hopfully help my son .

we discussed about meds in the day ect...and he wants to see how my son goes on with melatonin first -we go back in a month.

just been reading the other threads about it and seems it helps in the day too anyway-i guess if hes getting good sleep this will have a huge change on his mood in the day.

hes very poorly at the moment too with a chest infection,so needs all the rest he can get -gave him some tonight -and hes fast asleep-cant even hear the bed moving -as he rocks at night usually-and i think this gives him a sore neck ect ......

i am going to be having an early night too-cant wait -been feeling really worn out of late trying to get him to bed ect and trying to even keep him from wandering round the house and shouting ect......i hope it continues to work

ive seen many of you leave it off at weekends -the dr didnt mention this .....should i do this or not?

>:D<<'>

rq xxx

Hi RQ

Melatonin has been a miracle for us. It really really works. I was told that it has best results if the reason for insommnia is a lack of naturally produced melatonin and that in cases where there is another cause then it's usefulness may be reduced. I don't know how true this is, all I know is that it works for Bill (and it works for me because I sometimes take it too... in fact I find it just as good as temazepam)

I haven't found it having any use in controlling day time anxiety or difficulties, although on a couple of occasions when Bill has had a melt-down I've given him one afterwards and it seems to help him relax.

I tend to give Bill at least one night a week when he doesn't take it. However, on those nights he is awake most of the night.

Hope it is helpful for your son rq.

Flora x

Most people seem to find it works best if it is not used every night. If you use it every night, you can end up needing to gradually increase the dose for it to be effective.

I would use it as the doctor has prescribed for now, but discuss it at the appointment in a month. If it becomes an issue during this time, you can reverse that by not giving it for a few days, so it is not going to cause any problems before your ext appointment.

My son has been using it for nearly a year and I don't have any time when he has a break from it. As it is natural it isn't necessary to have a break.

I use it myself as I have sleep problems associated with my M.E. and depression and it really works.

You will find that it will help your son during the day because he will benefit from getting a full nights sleep so it is the sleep that benefits him not the melatonin during the day (if that makes sense!!!)

Good luck with it! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>