Hi everyone

Have already posted (only once though) so thought I had better introduce myself and my family.

I have a six year old son who was diagnosed 2 years ago with ASD. He also has significant hyperactivity which keeps us on our toes! No other kids just the cat and DH who although he has never been diagnosed we suspect has Aspergers. Since C's diagnosis we have managed to understand DH an awful lot more! Never a dull moment in our house as is probably the case for all of you.

Found this website when C was first going through assessments and reading many of the posts helped me to make sense of and understand a lot of things he was experiencing and going through. He is in mainstream and unfortunately the majority of the other parents have not been supportive and don't believe he belongs in the same school as their kids, so it is nice to have somewhere to turn to with people who do understand, as it can feel quite lonely at times.

Take care

Hi mum2one - welcome to the forum :)

Glad you're finding it helpful...

Annoying, isn't it? You anticipate your child might run into probs with other kids at school, but when it's their parents it really does sting :wallbash:

It can be a slow process, but hopefully your littlun (and you) will meet a couple of less judgemental parents and their kids and find some support there.

L&P

BD :D

Hi everyone

Have already posted (only once though) so thought I had better introduce myself and my family.

I have a six year old son who was diagnosed 2 years ago with ASD. He also has significant hyperactivity which keeps us on our toes! No other kids just the cat and DH who although he has never been diagnosed we suspect has Aspergers. Since C's diagnosis we have managed to understand DH an awful lot more! Never a dull moment in our house as is probably the case for all of you.

Found this website when C was first going through assessments and reading many of the posts helped me to make sense of and understand a lot of things he was experiencing and going through. He is in mainstream and unfortunately the majority of the other parents have not been supportive and don't believe he belongs in the same school as their kids, so it is nice to have somewhere to turn to with people who do understand, as it can feel quite lonely at times.

Take care

Hello mum2one, welcome to the site. It is hard when you come across people who do not understand about your child's ASD. Parents sometimes feel that your child's behaviour becomes a problem with their child's learning or their getting to much help. Don't worry about them as long as your son is getting support. Have you thought about joining a parent support group, so you can have a chat with parents in person and keep posting on here and you will get lots of support. X

Hi Your Hi post brought back memories of horrible playground parent behaviour, I had many issues with parents, there was a group of nasty mums who where trying there best to get my son expelled, yet it was their children who were teasing and taunting J, they couldnt cope when it was actually their children who where the instigators and I could back it up, J did have difficulties in the playgroud but it was worsened by the responce of adults and other parents, they simply didnt understand, it would be a totally different story if it was their child who behaved like J.

I have to say that for me 6,7 was a nightmare time for me and J, it was assessments, observations, zero tolerance behaviour programmes, rewards, sanctions to the point J was sent to a unit, after diagnoses of ADHD/ODD, social and communucation difficulties.

I thought we would get more support but we didnt, more assessments and more observations, until he broke down, after which he got a statement as well as a change of school.

its been two years since that nearly and now its ASDs and Sensory and prosessing difficulties after been privately assessed, his school have been fantastic, the parents totally understanding, but J isnt coping in a mainstream and no longer in school at all, I am home schooling him for the time being which just adds on the preassure at home but we are much more functional now.

When I remember the bad old days I do really think how horrible it was and how really that school was never really suitable for my sons needs, what really hurt was when a father went into his sons face and shouted down his throat " what have I said to you, dont play with that kid, stay away!"

the kid had tear running down his face, and said to his dad

" but daddy I like him, its not always his fault"

" I said stay away" he then grabbed his arm and yanked him pulling him away from my son and placed him inbetween two girls.

some children actually wanted to play with J, but their parents insisted that they didnt play with him as he was trouble, he wasnt this but has special needs and they discriminated him.

Sometimes parents are worse than the kids.

JsMum

Me again just got carried away there, memories hey, I just wanted to say a big warm welcome and I feel that you have come the right time because the beginning of assessments and finding out what may be the difficulties is always really emotional, I love it when parents find forums when they are in the beginning because they will get good support and the right information hopefully if you come to one as good as here, I really hope that you feel welcome and its nice to meet you on cyberspace.

JsMum