alanm

Newbie - hello from Alan

Hello,

Recently found this board from googling Asperger syndrome. My own condition is very moderate in that I am able to enjoy an active friendly social life but struggle in the job scene. I know I'm very capable of work overall, but so many adverts ask for people with "good / excellent communication skills". Thought it would be good to join and talk to others in the same boat. Also recently joined the AS Support Group Online board at http://aschick2005.proboards74.com/index.cgi

Bye for now

Alan

Edited by alanm

Welcome to the forum!

I am happy to be able to tell you we have an increasing number of Adults with Autism and Aspergers on the forum.

I look forward to talking to you.

Simon

Hi Alan and welcome :)

I'm an adult female with HFA. I know about the job thing - I'm currently on my 4th degree (PhD - trouble is I can't go higher, so will have to do that job thing ...) because I struggled with all the, I supposed you'd call it 'social aspects' of employment, despite actually being very good at the job.

Do your employers know about your dx? There's some useful info in the 'Beyond Adolescence' sub-forum on disclosure if this is relevant to you.

Can I ask - have you had any support on the social side? - this is where I'm currently struggling and would love to attain a state similar to your own where I am happy and have what could be considered a social life. :unsure:

Big thanks to Simon, Karen and Mumble for your welcomes on my thread.

Do your employers know about your dx? There's some useful info in the 'Beyond Adolescence' sub-forum on disclosure if this is relevant to you.

Have just put this post about jobs on a thread on that page which I identified with. Shall drop you a PM shortly so as not to sidetrack the thread.

Welcome to the forum, Alan.

I'm also one of the adult AS members, and I have a DS with AS, too.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Hi alan -

welcome to the forum :D

Hope you'll find it useful!

Obviously the whole forum is a mine of information (not ALL of it useless!), but you might find the 'beyond adolesence' section partucularly useful if you haven't found it yet

BD :D

Hi Alan & welcome >:D<<'>

Just noticed you are from Norfolk - so please dont think you have to move house when your Norfolk Broads post count goes up to the next level - doubly confusing! :lol:

Once again a big thanks to all posting welcome messages since my last post. Indeed I've been on the "Beyond Adolescence" pages and already added to a thread.

Just noticed you are from Norfolk - so please dont think you have to move house when your Norfolk Broads post count goes up to the next level - doubly confusing!

:lol: LOL I'm no stranger to "novelty" membership levels on internet message boards.

Edited by alanm