Bagpuss

Ta-ra...I think

Hoping to go on a short break tomorrow, but we are experiencing thick snow here, so dunno till tomorrow if we'll be able go, especially as we are heading up to Scotland, and the A66 looks pretty awful :(

Anyhoooo, will say ta ra for a few days, just incase, and will see you all Friday (or possibly tomorrow :lol: )

If you mange to go away I hope you have a fab time......Shame the weather isn't hotter you could start to tan up those white bits :lol: :lol: :shame:

Cheerio for now Bagpuss, hope you manage to get through the snow and have a nice break away, probably be a heat wave by 2moz anyway :police:

(I was sure there was a smiley with sunglasses on ???? ah well have to have a policeman with shades instead LOL)

Have fun !

Clare x x x x

Well I'm thoroughly defrosted, having had a lovely warm bubbly bath, and am now all snuggly in my PJ's :D

Don't think I've ever felt so cold as I did on that holiday. It was blummin freezing and we found it difficult to get a proper nights sleep due to the cold and the noise. They had kindly allocated us the caravan next to the bars :rolleyes:

Youngest DD has a really bizarre thermostat, and although all of us were shivering, she was hot. She kept refusing to wear her coat, and she wouldn't leave any long sleeves rolled down because she said they made her arms hot. Lots of confrontational and demanding behaviour in a tight, cold enclosed space....with nowhere to escape too :(

Because the holiday park was full, the amenities were difficult to enjoy. The pool so was busy it was impossible to swim, infact it was impossible to move. Not only were we lucky enough to be situated next the the bars, but we had the added bonus of being directly opposite the rubbish collection point at the other end of the van.

This time there were no rats, but the seagulls were interesting, especially when they continually sat on the roof of the van squawking and pecking, or dragged the rubbish out of the collection site.

The family next door were horrific, and continually screamed, shouted and swore at their kids.

It's really made us think seriously about the choices we make when going on holiday, and if we should be choosing to go away less often, but spending more on accomodation. I'd of been really happy in a cosy cottage with a log fire, and so would the kids and DH. I suppose if anything it has given us a chance to really discuss what is it we want from a family holiday. Our touring van may be a thing of the past.........again :rolleyes::rolleyes:

>:D<<'> Baggy >:D<<'>

I would rather poke out my eye with a stick than go on a caravan holiday, just the thought of not being able to get away from each other ... *shudders*

Cottages all the way for us, researched on the internet & approved by JP before booking. Much less expensive now we can go in term time.

And for real predictability, Center Parcs, he absolutely loves it.

Oh love, I'm so sorry your break was a disaster. Got to agree with Pearl, I could never cope with a caravan holiday. Some people offered theirs to us on loan a couple of years ago, we went up to see them and have a look, they were in raptures about it and dh and I were twitching with anxiety. There's no way J could have coped with that either.

We don't go away often but it's always a cottage, or staying with supportive and understanding friends for a couple of days if we can. With a cottage J has his own room to go off to if he needs space, and we can decide on the routine that suits us. And it doesn't really matter if the weather is rubbish, you can always cosy up and enjoy your temporary home.

I sense the Caravan Era might be over for Your Bagginesses...

Karen

x

Understanding and supportive friends you say Karen? What's Gateshead like for hols? :lol::lol:

The van is on ebay.....I'm sure they will think we are blooming dealers the amount we are going through. Need a reality check though, it's not working, and when we go on hols we've got to make sure it's as stress free and enjoyable as possible, rather than as cheap as possible. I feel like I'm constantly striving to do what everyone else does, and making no allowances for any difficulties our family may face.

I know this is going to mean we go away far, far less...may even mean one proper holiday a year...but hey ho, at least then DH and I will feel we've actually had a holiday, rather than coming back early or totally stressed out.

We are due to go to France next month, to stay on a lovely peaceful site in our van, and visit EuroDisney, which is nearby. We are now in the process of rearranging it all, so we can stay in something nice. The site has these fabby bungalow type mobile homes, with veranda's and decking etc, and they look gorgeous :wub::wub:

Thanks all >:D<<'>

We LOVE our touring caravan hols. We tend to go to sites with very little amenities and definitely NO bars.

All I can say about being cold Bagpus...lilly livered Southerners ;):lol:

But in your defence it was a wee bit chilly that week!

just to 'upset' him more a week hols for me usually costs �35 for 5 -7 day stay.... :whistle:

Have to say my last 'van hol was expensive...a whooping �50 for a week!

Bless him, he's just got back from a trip to the tip (missed our fortnightly rubbish collection while we were away) and he said all he kept seeing were people out with their caravans. He was also hoping to transfer our ferry booking from a Dover - Calais crossing, to an overnight one Hull - Zeebrugge, to make the journey more relaxing, now we won't be stopping off in our van half way down. Unfortunately the original cost was �162, and the overnight stops were �12, and if we change to the overnight ferry crossing, it is over �800 :o

Anyone driven from the North East of England to Paris in one go? :hypno::hypno:

Have you thought of Youth Hostels for more frequent breaks Baggy? They are v swish these days & you can book family rooms, & sort out your own food etc.

Anyone driven from the North East of England to Paris in one go? :hypno::hypno:

No. People have tried, but they always sink into the English Channel. :whistle:

No. People have tried, but they always sink into the English Channel. :whistle:

Not true Mumble....from Dover rather than the North East of England....Jeremy Cerkson and friends crossed the chanel in a Toyota Hilux with an outboard motor.Living in an all male house I have watched that episode of top gear more times than I care to remember. :lol::whistle: Karen.

Have you thought of Youth Hostels for more frequent breaks Baggy? They are v swish these days & you can book family rooms, & sort out your own food etc.

Ta Pearl, I did look into them for the Greenwich meet last year, but then decided a lovely site in Sheppey sounded better.......BD did warn me though, so I have only myself to blame for rejecting all his wise advice :P Think we'll probably use a travel lodge type thingy for travelling to France, although I think the family rooms only cater for 4, so will probs have to get two rooms :rolleyes:

DH is now in the middle of planning how we make the Greenwich meet...he rang up Rail Enquiries, to see how much it would cost DH, the girlies and myself to travel down on a day return.......over �200 :o:lol::lol: Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but it's so ridiculous how can you not?

Not true Mumble....from Dover rather than the North East of England....Jeremy Cerkson and friends crossed the chanel in a Toyota Hilux with an outboard motor.Living in an all male house I have watched that episode of top gear more times than I care to remember. :lol::whistle: Karen.

Coooool!!! For once, I am happy to stand corrected :D I want to see that - although I'm guessing it had some adaptations - most cars don't come with outboard motors (although the floating all-terrain steam-roller I designed when I was 8 did... :rolleyes:) and I'm intrigued as to how they made it float .... There you go Baggy - Hey, if you can't sell the van, you could chop the top off, add some flotation and re-christen it as a luxury cruise liner - how's that for adapting and money saving? :lol: :lol: You could even sell the top half as a paddling pool and have a holiday costing a negative amount!!!! :)

B and I love Youth Hostels, and the self-catering aspect stops him worrying I'll try and feed him in a restaurant.

The rooms at YH come in all sorts of different sizes, and the smaller ones we've used have been very friendly.

B loves Top Gear, and that science-based programme that Hammond presents. He enjoys watching things blow up... :unsure:

Edited by Bard

Sorry to hear about your not too restful break, Baggy. Our little family couldn't cope with caravans, just the thought of all being stuck in one little room together with nowhere to escape to sends shivers down my spine. We always take a cottage so that Jay can have his own room to go to and can be separate at bedtimes. How about B&B for short breaks, that might not work out too expensive?

Hope you get the France trip sorted and that goes better for you. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Understanding and supportive friends you say Karen? What's Gateshead like for hols? :lol::lol:

Hey, we'd be more than happy to have you, except we've got a tiny two-bedroomed house and the garden's not big enough for a tent. Maybe when DH gets the loft boarded out - bear in mind he started it in early Jan and we've still got no further than a hole in the ceiling...

K

x

Rail fares are cheaper if you buy singles now-a-days rather than returns (which is rather stupid in my opinion). Last year I payed about �18 both ways. Prices seem to have gone up considerably though. It is a pity you don't like to fly as that may now be the cheapest option. Personally I'm presently thinking of driving it (certainly will if I can convince my mum to come) as really stupidly it would be cheaper. I can do around 300 miles on a tank of petrol and filling up costs around �30. Then will book a youth hostel and overnight. Would probably go and look at some of the museums on the sunday.

EDIT: Meant to say sorry your holiday didn't go well. I'm off to the Lakes in the Summer (staying in a cabin on a camping site) I'll let you know if it was any good once I get back. Another thing I enjoyed when I was younger (but is expensive) was canal boat holidays. The one in particular I remember was the Llangollen canal.

Edited by David Matthew Baker

Thanks all >:D<<'>

Van has been taken off ebay and we are off to France in it......the costs are spiralling out of control, and DH and I have begun to panic, and all the lovely bungalow type homes are fully booked. Hadn't given much thought to the fact we are going in half term :oops: The awning has a separate sleeping area, so I'll just have to hide in there when it gets too much :wacko:

We are now on first name terms with the P & O Ferries booking staff :ph34r:

Can you hear that mad, insane, hysterical laughter coming from Baggy Towers? Tis me :bounce:

:lol::hypno::lol::hypno::lol::hypno::lol::hypno::lol::hypno:

Anyone driven from the North East of England to Paris in one go?

With two drivers and a break on the ferry or in the tunnel that should be possible. Paris is not as far from Calais as Dover is from the NE. The other thing to remember is that France is an hour ahead, so you lose that plus the ferry / tunnel time.

There is a group of 'hotels' called Formula One which are cheap - 3 to a room with loos and showers down the corridor. They are situated on the edge of large towns sometimes in industrial areas which can be noisy but they are clean and cheap. Breakfast is included in the price. We have used them in the past as they save having to unload the kit (camping) for just an overnight stop en route.

One of the campsites at Disneyland is quite close to the autoroute - I don't know how noisy it is?

So sorry your holiday didn't work out. I'm sure the unseasonal weather made a major contribution and your pitch location was most unlucky. Perhaps you could ask for a quietly situated pitch when you book?? An awning should give you more space - what about an additional tent also?

Thanks Pearl and Yoyo >:D<<'>

DH can now hardly contain his excitement, because my mum and her partner, who are also going to be in France with us (in their own tourer) have recommended a site they've been to before in Normandy. DH has always wanted to go to that region of France, due to the cemetaries and war tours. It also means that it's closer to Calais for us, although obviously a longer drive to EuroDisney (60m) but it works better for us.

We've sorted stop over sites near London there and back to break the journey up.

DH is taking the girlies away next week for a couple of nights to try out the van :thumbs: So I get to spend a couple of days and nights with just DS, something I'm really looking forward to :dance:

So all in all, things are feeling abit more positive...............for now :whistle:

Watch out for the Post France Thread, with the immortal words "never again" :ph34r:

I've given up trying to analyse our decisions :hypno:

And we can now definately make Greenwich :thumbs::dance: Silver linings and all that :whistle:

I'd sleep in a cardboard box for one of Lya's brownies :lol::lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

I'd sleep in a cardboard box for one of Lya's brownies :lol::lol:

I'd sleep in a cardboard box for one of Lya's brownies :eat::eat1::lol:

Guest Lya of the Nox
I'd sleep in a cardboard box for one of Lya's brownies :eat::eat1::lol:

so is that 20 million brownies i be making

lol

x