Sign in to follow this  
Karen A

May be a silly question...but I am stuck

Help. :)

We have broadband access to TV and internet....but no reception on our home phone hand set.

I cannot figure out whether the handset is broken/flat or whether the phone has been cut off.

We have been in the process of changing from one provider to another.

Anyone know...if the home phone was cut off would that automatically stop broadband access too ?

I don't want to ring the service provider on my mobile if it is the phone....I spent about 45mins being thanked for being patient yesterday. :wallbash:

unplug everything from the phone sockets in your house

ring your home phone from your mobile

if you hear ringing tone on your mobile then your home phones or computer etc are probably faulty

if you hear number unobtainable on your mobile then your home phone has probably been cut off

I have exactly the same problem and have never worked out how to resolve it.

I can only get the phone to work by unplugging the computer from the telephone line. Otherwise I can't make calls and when people ring me it is engaged. Broadband is supposed to enable you to use the internet and the phone both at once, but apparently not . . .

I can only get the phone to work by unplugging the computer from the telephone line. Otherwise I can't make calls and when people ring me it is engaged. Broadband is supposed to enable you to use the internet and the phone both at once, but apparently not . . .

The thing is that this is a new problem for us.....we could do both until this morning. :unsure: Karen.

I wonder if you have changed to my provider. Their name is two letters and rhymes with Flittish Smelly Bomb?

I'm not very technical!! - but with ours to be able to have the telephone and internet - we had to have the splitter to plug into the socket before the phone/internet line gets plugged in.

Take care,

Jb

I'm not very technical!! - but with ours to be able to have the telephone and internet - we had to have the splitter to plug into the socket before the phone/internet line gets plugged in.

Take care,

Jb

Ah... that could be it. Dunno why, but they do say you have to have a filter on every phone (even if you're not using both terminals), so if you have a second/third phone and they haven't got filters on it could cause the problem, maybe?

I remember from somewhere too that you are supposed to have the PC plugged in to the 'master' (or first) socket rather than the extension socket, but mine runs on the extension and doesn't give me problems, so I guess that's a possible problem rather than an 'every scenario' one(?)

I don't know if this is still relevent - but in the 'old' days before broadband phones used to have a REN (?) number (usually one for a standard phone and two for something a bit clever like an ansaphone - possibly three for a fax (?) but I wouldn't know 'cos i've never had a fax), and there was a maximum number you could have on a domestic circuit (3 or 4 I think) before you had to have a second line. It could be something like that, but filters seems more probable.

Hope that helps

:D

Edited by baddad

Thanks All. :)

We have found out what the problem was.....OH only spent an hour speaking to 10 different people in customer services yesterday. :wallbash:

We were due to switch between suppliers for broadband package yesterday.It appears old provider switched us off but new one was not up to speed so is not connecting us until probably tomorrow.

Don't ask how we still have the TV and broadband for puter.......but we have ....just no home phone line. :) Karen.